Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nor­wegr

Scalpel with 27.5 wheels.

Would you buy a zero pivot Scalpel designed for 27.5 wheels?

I sure would after swapping out the wheels on my 26" Scalpel, it's the most capable allround and fun bike I've ever ridden. I'm even contemplating picking up a spare frame incase Cannondale doesn't release a dedicated 27.5 model next year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Scalpel with 27.5

Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Would you buy a zero pivot Scalpel designed for 27.5 wheels?

I sure would after swapping out the wheels on my 26" Scalpel, it's the most capable allround and fun bike I've ever ridden. I'm even contemplating picking up a spare frame incase Cannondale doesn't release a dedicated 27.5 model next year.
    I agree with you 100%- I'm running a 27.5 with 28/42t rings and this thing flies !!!

Also have a brand new "Ultimate CFR Frame" for a spare which I will also build with 27.5 and possibly XX1 .

Redcoat

Is it a tight fit on the rear wheel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'd be surprised if cannondale comes out with a 27.5 scalpel. They already have the 29er version that is probably one of, if not THE best bike I've ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Brockwan View Post
    Is it a tight fit on the rear wheel?
    Second that question.

mtbr member
    I haven't tested it, but, it would take a very skinny 27.5 tire to fit in the rear of my '08 because of the brace. That's if it would fit at all.

Redcoat

Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    I haven't tested it, but, it would take a very skinny 27.5 tire to fit in the rear of my '08 because of the brace. That's if it would fit at all.
    Different bike but my 2013 trigger 2 has 2.25 conti's and I just don't think there's anyway id get a 27.5 in there. I don't even care for anything less for my trail bike. There's literally about 1cm clearance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes. I would buy a Scalpel 27.5 over either a 26 or 29 everyday.

For where I mostly ride, the 27.5 would be the best of everything ever in the whole world.

Redcoat

Just going to point out though that I really don't believe (and I have tried 27.5) there is significant enough difference in handling for the sake of .75 of an inch either side of the hub to bother with a conversion. New bike though completely.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

26" vs 27.5"

Here's a little back to back ride comparison between the Scalpel 26" and Scalpel 27.5"-
    Test was done @ Short Intermediate-Advance XC Trail @ Water Dog Lake, Belmont CA.-
    Same frame, rider, gearing both on Stans Crest Wheels with Schwalbe Tires.

It's surely nice to be able to switch between the two wheel sizes with this frame
    Last edited by spartan23; 01-23-2014 at 02:15 AM.

Redcoat

The thing with time comparisons is the fact they don't account for the most important point of all. FUN FACTOR. I do like the 27.5s but the wheel I personally have the best time on is still the 26 and that to me is more valuable than a strava'd six minutes.

Just my opinion. I mentioned earlier that, for me, its not worth buyin a new fork and wheel set for the performance improvement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan23 View Post
    Here's a little back to back ride comparison between the Scalpel 26" and Scalpel 27.5"...

It's surely nice to be able to switch between the two wheel sizes with this frame
    What year Scalpel? Do you have pics of the rear clearance?

Just my opinion. I mentioned earlier that, for me, its not worth buyin a new fork and wheel set for the performance improvement.
    A new wheelset, yes. But, depending on the fork, it is likely not needed to upgrade. I think many lefty forks can be modified for the larger size. Fox is another fork that i hear fits with no modification.

Redcoat

A new wheelset, yes. But, depending on the fork, it is likely not needed to upgrade. I think many lefty forks can be modified for the larger size. Fox is another fork that i hear fits with no modification.
    My bad I forgot about the lefty. That be true sir.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

The 27.5 conversion will work on 2011-2012 Scalpel. I have a 2013 (late production built) Scalpel CFR (same as a 2011-2012). The conversion will not work on <2010 Scalpel 100 frames unless frame mods are in place.

I'm running Rocket Rons 2.1 rear and Racing Ralph 2.25 front both in the 27.5 size. I have no desire to put anything wider than a 2.1 (rears) for XC application.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The thing with time comparisons is the fact they don't account for the most important point of all. FUN FACTOR. I do like the 27.5s but the wheel I personally have the best time on is still the 26 and that to me is more valuable than a strava'd six minutes.

The simple back to back comparison was between the two wheel sizes (26" vs 27.5") base on my experience on the same Scalpel frame/ components and not Scalpel VS ??

If it tickles your fancy taking it easier -so be it. The Scalpel is a "Race Bike "out of the box, the 27.5 was a performance upgrade (worth every cent IMO) and will sure put a grin on most faces looking for "Performance" upgrade.

I don't know what type of Scalpel/ fork you have but the only extra I had to buy was the Stans 650B wheelset- which tucked nicely on my stock Carbon Lefty XLR.

Strava will also not tell you how fun and challenging a course is (rocks, roots, ruts, switchbacks, single tracks etc).

For me completing it faster means I was having more fun

cheers-

mtbr member
    The 27.5 conversion will work on 2011-2012 Scalpel. I have a 2013 (late production built) Scalpel CFR (same as a 2011-2012). The conversion will not work on <2010 Scalpel 100 frames unless frame mods are in place.
    I just confirmed this. Using a 650bx2.1 wheel, i was rubbing the brace that is across the chainstays.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I just confirmed this. Using a 650bx2.1 wheel, i was rubbing the brace that is across the chainstays.
    Yeah, I have also tried it on my 2010 and didn't work however you can use 650b up front, not sure if you will like it- others swear by it but for me the chemistry wasn't there.

Redcoat

The simple back to back comparison was between the two wheel sizes (26" vs 27.5") base on my experience on the same Scalpel frame/ components and not Scalpel VS ??

If it tickles your fancy taking it easier -so be it. The Scalpel is a "Race Bike "out of the box, the 27.5 was a performance upgrade (worth every cent IMO) and will sure put a grin on most faces looking for "Performance" upgrade.

I don't know what type of Scalpel/ fork you have but the only extra I had to buy was the Stans 650B wheelset- which tucked nicely on my stock Carbon Lefty XLR.

Strava will also not tell you how fun and challenging a course is (rocks, roots, ruts, switchbacks, single tracks etc).

For me completing it faster means I was having more fun

cheers-
    Mate whatever floats your boat. I ride enduro so different category but I'd love to ride with you sometime and see how easy I like to take it .

I'm no expert on xc but if you can run two different wheel widths and you like the way it feels, all credit to you my man. Ain't no right or wrong.

don't be so hasty to say people who ride 26ers and prefer them take it easy. They may laugh at you whilst they go past.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Mate whatever floats your boat. I ride enduro so different category but I'd love to ride with you sometime and see how easy I like to take it .

I'm no expert on xc but if you can run two different wheel widths and you like the way it feels, all credit to you my man. Ain't no right or wrong.

don't be so hasty to say people who ride 26ers and prefer them take it easy. They may laugh at you whilst they go past.

Bud- this topic is about a Scalpel 26" and a Scalpel 27.5" NOTHING else. Its not a Scalpel vs 26" Enduro or anything for that matter.

If you experienced something differently with your Scalpel 26 and your Scalpel 27.5 (not your Enduro bike)-share it with us.

If you are from the area (which I sense you are) and sincerely want to experience XC ridng with me- I'm open for a friendly XC ride .

I'm often @ Skeggs (ECDM) during weekends and WDL during the week both are fun and challenging XC trails-

If you want to try riding the Scalpel 27.5 you are welcome to it -

cheers-

PS- I have never bashed you or anyone with a 26" as you claim- You've got it confused with your own statement mate

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

RaRa/RoRo

Spartan said
    I'm running Rocket Rons 2.1 rear and Racing Ralph 2.25 front
    Interesting...
    I'm running the RoRos up front (better traction than RaRas) and RaRas in the Back (Better Rolling than RoRos)...
    Both 2.25 on my Flash and Scalpel 29er...
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyElite2010 View Post
    Spartan said

Interesting...
    I'm running the RoRos up front (better traction than RaRas) and RaRas in the Back (Better Rolling than RoRos)...
    Both 2.25 on my Flash and Scalpel 29er...
    I agree with you, would rather use Ron's up front for traction. RoRo's 2.25 were not available at the time and I was itching to try out the 650's.

I wish Schwalbe would make Furious Freds in a 27.5 x 2.0- that would be my ideal rear tire

Next set up will be 2.1's all around for a much better XC feel- too much drag for the 2.25 when climbing (IMO).

cheers-

Redcoat

Bud- this topic is about a Scalpel 26" and a Scalpel 27.5" NOTHING else. Its not a Scalpel vs 26" Enduro or anything for that matter.

If you experienced something differently with your Scalpel 26 and your Scalpel 27.5 (not your Enduro bike)-share it with us.

If you are from the area (which I sense you are) and sincerely want to experience XC ridng with me- I'm open for a friendly XC ride .

I'm often @ Skeggs (ECDM) during weekends and WDL during the week both are fun and challenging XC trails-

If you want to try riding the Scalpel 27.5 you are welcome to it -

cheers-

PS- I have never bashed you or anyone with a 26" as you claim- You've got it confused with your own statement mate
    Sorry if I came off arsey I honestly was only being light hearted. More an more I've been looking at getting into some more XC and building a rig for it. Would be fantastic to pick up some pointers. I like the look of the scalpel also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Sorry if I came off arsey I honestly was only being light hearted. More an more I've been looking at getting into some more XC and building a rig for it. Would be fantastic to pick up some pointers. I like the look of the scalpel also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Scalpel being a sub 20lb is an awesome performing XC- AM rig- Its best asset is its climbing abilities, when it comes to steep, deep drops- I get off and walk- lol

Most XC guys (like myself) dont have enough kahunas for the big drops- it would be interesting to see an Enduro type rider with bigger kahunas take it to deep wall drops-

Its all good

cheers-

Redcoat

Bigger kahunas means bigger scars ha. It ain't always a good thing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I fitted Stan's 27.5" wheels to my 2008 Scalpel Carbon using 2.1" Maxxis CrossMarks. I was itching for a new bike but there are few lightweight FS short travel bikes with bigger wheels and I just can't justify spending the money.
    After testing the fit with a wheel from another 650b bike, I decided to take the leap. I've put a couple thousand miles on the bike with no problems. It may all come to grief some day. To make it work I had to take an air grinder to the chainstay brace. I removed a little less than 1/2 the material on each side and maybe 1/3 of the material across the front. The brace material smelled like Bondo as I was grinding it. If it fails, I suppose I'll track down a newer 26" Scalpel frame on ebay and swap my parts over.
    I live in flat S. Florida and do lots of canal-side trails. The big wheels do seem faster than the 26"s on the flats and the front seems to get better grip on twisty trails. I love the way the stock Scalpel responds instantly to every steering input. I never did a back to back comparison with the 26" but the bigger wheeled bike seems a bit more twitchy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast