Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Scalpel 2012 | Frame Varnish Problem

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  themuttley 
#1 ·
Hi,
I've just received a new Scalpel 2012 (26) frame and when I was protected it with Bike Shield, I needed to remove a piece and what happened is that a little piece of varnish as grabbed to the Bike Shield :( :(

Has something like this happened to someone ?

Now I'm waiting an answer from my LBS (they contacted Cannondale Europe), cause I want know if I can use/activate the warranty in this case, because this isn't normal! There is something with the varnish layer! This is a new frame and I haven't used or mounted anything on it yet! :( :( :(

Textile Red Carmine Maroon Musical instrument accessory

Material property Stationery Carbon Cylinder General supply

Finger Nail Material property Thumb Synthetic rubber

Glass Nail Automotive window part Bumper part

I'll be waiting for yours inputs! Thanks!
César

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a few similar small spots near one of the rear drop outs. In my case they are not from applying or taking off a film, but were there from the start. I decided to ignore them because they are so minimal and I'm sure I'll do worse damage through ridding.

By the look of your pics and how the varnish came off, I'd also be contacting cannondale about it. Keep us posted.

#4 ·
Same thing happened to me with a Lapierre but never bothered to ask,sold the bike shortly after.
I don't think it's something you should be worried about,maybe cover it up again.
If Cannondale deal with paint jobs the same way Specialized does then there's not much you can do about it. And if you're not the original owner then forget about it.

#6 ·
So Bike Shield is a protective tape that was added later on and is not the film that already comes supplied by Cannondale? It seems for all the friction based protective films used for smart phone screens there wouldn't be a need of any strong adhesives that would pull off clear coat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.