Thread: Scalpel 2009

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Scalpel 2009

My friend buy a new cannondale scalpel 2009
    We set shock (fox RPL) according to the instructions, but we see that when riding a bike don't use even half of the possibilities (use about 20-30mm suspension in ride)
    This is normal in scalpel?
    Last edited by AdamK; 02-06-2011 at 03:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamK
    My friend buy a new cannondale scalpel 2009
    We set shock (fox RPL) according to the instructions, but we see that when riding a bike don't use even half of the possibilities (use about 20-30mm suspension in ride)
    This is normal in scalpel?
    Depends on what manual you're talking about. The Scalpel's carbon stays have some preload, so you'll be putting a lot less air in it than the FOX manual might suggest. Regardless of manufacturer, you should always set shock pressure to the amount of sag that is suggested. In the case of the 2009 Scalpel, it is 8-10mm. Use the rubber O-ring to determine when you have the appropriate amount of sag as you either increase or decrease shock pressures. I am about 135 lbs and had only 20psi in mine, so start low.

Also, if you are assessing the 20-30mm of suspension use by looking at the O-ring, this does not equate to the real rear wheel travel which by physical attributes of the linkages is more than the shock travel.