mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Scalpel 2 or Scalpel Team...Advice Please?

I'm looking at either the Scalpel 2 or Scalpel Team. I am able to get a good deal on both-a difference of about $1600 between the two bikes. A concern I have is the brakes on the Team. I'm a diehard Shimano XT brake fan and the Team comes with SRAM XX brakes. The team does come with the XX1 drivetrain compared to the XT drivetrain of the Scalpel 2. The other glaring difference I see is the wheels. The Team comes with the Enve carbon wheels with DT hubs. The 2 comes with Mavic(?) wheels and hubs. My question is this-are the Mavic wheels and hubs that bad? If I buy the Team I will have to buy new brakes (preference only). I like the idea of a 1x11 setup but it isn't a big deal to me. All options considered-what would you buy? Is the Team worth an extra $1600? Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by nicksstorm; 12-30-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Nor­wegr
    If the difference is only $1600 I'd say go for the team, the Enve wheels would run you well north of that if bought seperately and the difference in feel between carbon and alu rims is something you'll notice quite fast. (Just one Enve rim sells for approx. $900 depending on your dealer)

Selling or trading the XX brakes for XT should be easy, I'd give the XXs a go first though. Not everyone have issues with them.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Scalpel 2 or Scalpel Team...Advice Please?

Are both 2014 models? If so I would definitely without any doubt take the Team for that price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Team is worth the difference in price, particularly if you plan on racing. The whole bike will be considerably lighter. The Enve wheels are amazing. Mavic makes some nice wheels, but the Scalpel Carbon 2 comes with some pretty cheap, heavy wheels.

I have the Team on order. I'm not a huge fan of the XX brakes, but I've used them before and they were OK. Easy enough to ebay the brakes and pick up some Shimano.

Only real question in my mind would be whether you are good with 1x11 - if you have to change brakes and whole drivetrain, it's a little harder sell.

11 is one louder than 10
    For me this is simple.

Do you want XX1 as the drivetrain or not?

Brakes are a non-issue. You could sell the XX brakes on ebay easily and get XT's or XTR's for what you sell the XX brakes for - or possibly less (though I agree that getting rid of avid brakes ASAP is always a good idea).

$1600 bucks - yes you get ENVE wheels, but I think that the Enve rims, particularly the XC's are overrated (note, they are very, very good) but overpriced and IMO too narrow.

For 1600 bucks you could have Dave at speeddream wheels build you up some NOX composites rims (which have some advantages over the Enves IMO) on whatever hubs you want.

Then you can sell the stock wheels and essentially pay less for the Nox wheelset.

That said, the ENVE hoops are excellent, and if you want XX1 for a drivetrain - then get the team. That's a great price.

Pick the drivetrain you want, everything else is really a wash cost wise.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    At that price for a 2014, NO DOUBT the team.

XT Components on the 2 is good stuff but like mentioned above the Enve wheels are awesome on the Team and I personally prefer the team color. lol

The 1x11 on the team saves weight "No FD " and the rings are easily replaced. You can choose between 28t-30t-32t rings. The 10x42 rear cassette will make 1x10 easier to acclimate too on the Team.

mtbr member
    Are you sure those are the 2014 prices? If so thats an AMAZING DEAL! Can you get me one for that price?! Id get the team and sell the brakes if you want Shimano ones..
    I race for Crosshairs Cycling
    www.crosshairscycling.com

My stupid blog
    www.capitalbiker.tumblr.com