mtbr member

Scalpel 100 sizing

I'm interested in an '08 scalpel and have a question about sizing. it's been a while since i've ridden a cannondale and last i remembered they seemed to measure the tt a little differently. is that still the case? i'm currently riding a large scott spark (24" tt) with a 100mm stem. ignoring the steeper seat tube angle on the scalpel, that puts me in on a medium (23.6" tt) with a 110 stem. unfortunately it doesn't appear that them make a 110mm stem for that, only 90, 100, 120. i'm afraid a 100mm stem would be too short. that leaves a large (24.6" tt) with a 90 or medium with a 120. thoughts? nobody seems to carry cannondale mountain bikes in the Boulder area, so i can't just jump on one. They will gladly order me one though.

mtbr member
    They measure the top tube on a horizontal line from center of head tube to center of seat tube. This is the best way to measure bikes these days with all the different size tubes.

mtbr member
    It looks like Scott measures the same way. If you are between 2 sizes, I recommend going with the larger of the 2. It seems to me that the bigger bikes seem to climb steep sections better and are a bit more stable on technical descents. Just my 2 cents.