mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Scalpelīs rear bobing

Hi.

After 15 years riding everywhere wiht hardtails, I wanted to give FS a try, and after reading here and there, I decided that Scalpel was the bike for me.

Now Iīve riding it for three months and the only thing that concerned me is some rear bobing when you pedal over smooth surfaces, road or gravel, specially uphill. I feel that the RP3 rear shock isnīt totally locked and it moves a tiny bit when you want something firmer -thatīs what I expected for this bike-. The bike gives me a sensation close to a 'flat rear wheel', though I set the shock with higher pressure that the recommended for my weight.
    The shock is OK, I think is the way the Scalpel works.

Iīm quite happy with the bike but this issue is very dissapointing for me.

Anyone experienced the same or maybe is just my hardtail background ?

thanks

mtbr member
    I weigh 175 lbs and run 215 psi in the damper. I have virtually no bobbing while keeping the necessary confort on rougher surfaces.
    Kayba

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Well, I weigh 150 and usually run 160 psi. I was afraid of running more than 170 as cannondale suggests 170 for 200 pounds weight and 80% sag.

thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by genci
    Well, I weigh 150 and usually run 160 psi. I was afraid of running more than 170 as cannondale suggests 170 for 200 pounds weight and 80% sag.

thanks
    80% sag
    Real men ride 2*9

mad aussie
    I think it is your hardtail background, most active full suspension designs like the Scalpel will have a little give due to weight shift while pedalling. I am 140lb and run 120psi and pro pedal on the RP3 in the middle position. I dont think it the minimal shock movement slows you down measurably on smooth surfaces and it actually climbs better on rough and loose climbs because you maintain forward momentum better.
    It is like running really high pressures in your tires off road, you feel like you are going faster because you feel every little ripple, but in fact as the tire is pushed up by each bump it displaces your weight with it and is actually slower.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm 180lbs and run my rear shock above the chart pressure for my weight. I want it nearly locked on the roads and that's it. It says in the Cannondale documents that if you run it over pressure for your weight, you should change the spring out. I haven't as yet....