mtbr member
    Mar 2005

No good Sauser ride for Specialized in 2006!!!??

The last 3 weeks have been very challenging, with a lot of talking and brainstorming. I have made a decision about who I will ride for in 2006. With the contract signed, I can now say that, starting next year, I will represent Specialized Bicycles from the USA. I have signed a two-year contract with them that contains a strong option for the 2008 Olympic year.

I finally decided to go with Specialized because I felt most at home there and they have offered me the best package -I will be racing their new S-Works Carbon Epic equipped with a host of their own cutting-edge components. Carrying on a long tradition at the company, I will also be closely involved in product development. This new partnership will ensure that I will race very fast in the future!

This was a difficult decision, because it means a 7 year relationship with Cannondale will come to it’s end. I was always proud to be part of this company, and I am looking back to 7 amazing seasons with no regrets!

I also have to thank Siemens, who supported us for the last 3 years. Unfortunately, due the sale of the Siemens Mobile division to BenQ, they will shut down all their sports marketing activities including mountain biking.

Watch out, after New Years day you will see me in the red, big S-logo uniform

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxkal
    The last 3 weeks have been very challenging, with a lot of talking and brainstorming. I have made a decision about who I will ride for in 2006. With the contract signed, I can now say that, starting next year, I will represent Specialized Bicycles from the USA. I have signed a two-year contract with them that contains a strong option for the 2008 Olympic year.

I finally decided to go with Specialized because I felt most at home there and they have offered me the best package -I will be racing their new S-Works Carbon Epic equipped with a host of their own cutting-edge components. Carrying on a long tradition at the company, I will also be closely involved in product development. This new partnership will ensure that I will race very fast in the future!

This was a difficult decision, because it means a 7 year relationship with Cannondale will come to it’s end. I was always proud to be part of this company, and I am looking back to 7 amazing seasons with no regrets!

I also have to thank Siemens, who supported us for the last 3 years. Unfortunately, due the sale of the Siemens Mobile division to BenQ, they will shut down all their sports marketing activities including mountain biking.

Watch out, after New Years day you will see me in the red, big S-logo uniform
    There is also rumor about Cedric riding for Commencal next year, which would be quite a surprise given he has signature model bike for 2006.
    That leaves us w/ Tinker, Aaron and Fredrik - although I'm not sure about Fredrik since the whole Cannondale - Siemens deal is gone now.

Trail rider and racer
    Wow. 2006 might make for an interesting year for Cannondale then..
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    Wow. 2006 might make for an interesting year for Cannondale then..
    Well they have their factory team but they are doing just NORBA cup. I don't think they'll loose Tinker and Aaron cuz they are kind of mascots of Cannondale. And I hope they'll not loose Fredrik as he's really great talent and I think he has great future in front of him.
    Never the less it's pretty sad so see one of the greatest teams literally fading away (first Volvo and now Siemens).

mtbr member
    The big S must have paid out a whole lot of money for that to happen. I would say that it is time for C-Dale to go after Adam Craig and Geoff Kabush. Two North American riders that want to race more Internationally. Kabush deffientely needs more support thatn what his Turner maxxis Teams acan afford to step it up at the next level. Craig is jsut a cool guy that loves bikes.

Patagonia survivor
    Aug 2005
    We´ll see if Christoph is as fast in his carbon Epic as he was in his Scalpel/Rush!!!!!!!!!!

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    I'm sure he won't be happy about the weight! His scalpel was way lighter than an S works...even a full carbon one. You might see him running V brakes again just to save a few grams!

mtbr member
    I just found this on The Brad Blog. Somehow it don't feel good about it.

LA CHVRE
    I go away for 2 weeks and I come back to see this...

I agree Geoff Kabush would be great, he's the best north american right now and it would be nice to see him do the whole world cup because right now, he can't get much better by kicking everyone's but in Norbas...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    I'm sure he won't be happy about the weight! His scalpel was way lighter than an S works...even a full carbon one. You might see him running V brakes again just to save a few grams!
    yea, but he'll probably have the option to race on the carbon s-works hardtail for certain races.

i'm just guessing that with cannondale, it was in his contract that he would ride the scalpel exclusively and not the hardtail.

LA CHVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by eurorider
    yea, but he'll probably have the option to race on the carbon s-works hardtail for certain races.

i'm just guessing that with cannondale, it was in his contract that he would ride the scalpel exclusively and not the hardtail.
    But the weight difference between a Scalpel and a Optimo hardtail is not as big as a S-Works Epic vs. S-Works hardtail...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    But the weight difference between a Scalpel and a Optimo hardtail is not as big as a S-Works Epic vs. S-Works hardtail...
    well there's a lack of solid data but i think we can safely say that the carbon s-works will surely be lighter than an optimo HT and the carbon epic will probably still be heavier than the scalpel frame ...so your statement is most likely correct ..BUT to suggest that THAT'S why we may see Sauser on a HT this year is being unreasonable.

if he opts for the HT it is b/c it's the faster choice for the given terrain/course and let's face it, most of the world cup circuits are better suited to a HT which offers less lateral flex (not a big concern for light pros), and more efficient power delivery (Christoph could lock his rear shock out but you still have to lug around the extra 1 kg or whatever it happens to be).

that's why i think it was in his contract to ride the scalpel exclusively ...am i right? ..probably

LA CHVRE
    I agree, I think it was in his contract too. When was the last time a Cannondale Pro used a rigid frame? I think it was in the days of Cadel Evans and Alison Sydor... I wouldn't be surprised if he was riding locked out (or with enormous pressure in the shock) for the whole race in some venues.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    btw, i'd also like to see Kabush go to Cannondale ...better resources and if you're going to run discs you should be on a Scalpel not a Nitrous!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

All the talk about weight

btw, i'd also like to see Kabush go to Cannondale ...better resources and if you're going to run discs you should be on a Scalpel not a Nitrous!
    First off...I agree--Kabush would be the shizzizzle.

Second. Let's not forget that on the last stop of the World Cup suzzie lost by a fraction. This could easily be attributed to a pretty significant jump in weight with the RUSH. (even though he weight weenied the thing) It's also a testament to Cannondale's rider driven engineering that he can make a significant jump like that and still come doggon close to winning.

He's got 2 back to back world cups without the "need" for a hard-tail. The Scalpel IS the XC machine for the sport. Handmade and tuned to win races. The Scalpel was engineered to the precise specifications of an XC riders needs needs. A rider engineered rig, specifically engineered to rider and known terrain, can compensate for weight. And, Cannondale threw in the six/13 technology to give him even more edge

I hope that the big S has the custom capability to react to his desire for winning with overseas timing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scan
    First off...I agree--Kabush would be the shizzizzle.

Second. Let's not forget that on the last stop of the World Cup suzzie lost by a fraction. This could easily be attributed to a pretty significant jump in weight with the RUSH. (even though he weight weenied the thing) It's also a testament to Cannondale's rider driven engineering that he can make a significant jump like that and still come doggon close to winning.

He's got 2 back to back world cups without the "need" for a hard-tail. The Scalpel IS the XC machine for the sport. Handmade and tuned to win races. The Scalpel was engineered to the precise specifications of an XC riders needs needs. A rider engineered rig, specifically engineered to rider and known terrain, can compensate for weight. And, Cannondale threw in the six/13 technology to give him even more edge

I hope that the big S has the custom capability to react to his desire for winning with overseas timing.
    Sorry, just had to add one thing: In a summer issue of Mountain Biking magazine (US) Liam Killeen (specialized) was asked what bike he'd like to ride. His response? Sauser's Scalpel.

End of rant.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I agree, I think it was in his contract too. When was the last time a Cannondale Pro used a rigid frame? I think it was in the days of Cadel Evans and Alison Sydor... I wouldn't be surprised if he was riding locked out (or with enormous pressure in the shock) for the whole race in some venues.
    Roel Paulisson rode a optimo hardtail for a lot of races in '04. However when your fully is as light or lighter than most hardtails (and nearly as efficient) why would you want one?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Roel Paulisson rode a optimo hardtail for a lot of races in '04. However when your fully is as light or lighter than most hardtails (and nearly as efficient) why would you want one?
    i'm not saying Sauser's scalpel wasn't light but lightweight hardtails with v-brakes can be around 3 lb lighter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

well i agree with you that the Scalpel IS the XC machine for the sport ...there's no doubt ...it's the best all-around, meaning lightweight and versatile for varying terrains. if i was getting a FS, it's tough to beat. i'm just saying that a HT would be faster for certain courses.

Cannondale did certainly trick out his bike but i don't agree with your statement about six/13 technology giving him even more edge. it is a well known fact that the six/13 carbon tech. is nothing special and actually makes for a heavier frame than their Al counterparts ....just have a look at their roadbikes ...caad8 and caad7 vs. the lugged six/13...

i don't really like the big S but they are ahead in terms of carbon technology and i'm sure they will spoil him just like Cannondale did

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Sorry, just had to add one thing: In a summer issue of Mountain Biking magazine (US) Liam Killeen (specialized) was asked what bike he'd like to ride. His response? Sauser's Scalpel.

End of rant.
    don't ppl always want what they don't have?

seriously though, i also read that and i agree ...i'd rather ride Sauser's scalpel than a carbon epic and i'm a fan of v-brakes...

banned
    what happens to kabush should be interesting indeed since he is not going full out this cyclocross season so he can concentrated on world cup races next year. i am curious to see what he does. although I'm partial to a Titus racer x i wouldn't mind having a cannondale hard tail with a carbon lefty

mtbr member
    i'm not saying Sauser's scalpel wasn't light but lightweight hardtails with v-brakes can be around 3 lb lighter.
    I thought that Martas are up to weight of the XT V-brakes si if you add some Ti bolts here and there and some Al rotors there should be almost no difference. Only thing that adds to the weight is the rear shock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pecka
    I thought that Martas are up to weight of the XT V-brakes si if you add some Ti bolts here and there and some Al rotors there should be almost no difference. Only thing that adds to the weight is the rear shock.
    i don't know ...Marta SL is very light but XT v-brakes are bricks. you can also save significant weight in other areas when using v's.

the Al rotors are not even worth bothering with ...Sauser suffered from brake failure at a recent marathon race that was wet ...they wore out and he had basically no brake power so he retired from the race.

are you kidding? there are other things besides a rear shock that make a FS ~2-3 lb heavier than its HT counterpart.

mtbr member
    are you kidding? there are other things besides a rear shock that make a FS ~2-3 lb heavier than its HT counterpart.
    I agree, but there are not so many parts on the Scalpel that are heavier and on a HT - rear triangle, that's it

banned

Frank, what are you doing in here

Quote Originally Posted by FrankBooth
    what happens to kabush should be interesting indeed since he is not going full out this cyclocross season so he can concentrated on world cup races next year. i am curious to see what he does. although I'm partial to a Titus racer x i wouldn't mind having a cannondale hard tail with a carbon lefty
    I thought you never got out of F88.

Patagonia survivor
    Aug 2005

weight, wait...

Ok, we are all weight weenies, I´m one too...but can anybody assure me that a 22lbs F4000 is faster than a 23,5lbs Scalpel?

LA CHVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyB
    Ok, we are all weight weenies, I´m one too...but can anybody assure me that a 22lbs F4000 is faster than a 23,5lbs Scalpel?
    Depends where...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyB
    Dpends on terrain. If it is rough than no. Form my expiernce f/s with a 3 lbs difference is still faster givin the ability to carry more momentum.

But just so you know, if Suaser raced F400 it would weigh more like 18 or 19lbs and his Scalpel weighed just over 20lbs.

MTB'er
    Sep 2005

Specialized takes first and second with Sauser and Killeen

No, he's not using v-brakes: Magura Marta SL with Stan's rotors. What does Sauser think? "I was feeling a little bit of pressure. I wanted the first win for the new team to get everybody excited, especially the engineers. It's all come together towards the middle and the end of the season. I'm very pleased for the whole team today because they worked so hard. It was great to see all of the smiling faces in the finish. It's not just for me, it's for the whole team. We were so fast in the downhills today and then we could ride a steady pace. It was a big advantage. We have 10cm of travel so we don't have to brake as much. We also have a brand new shock that opens and closes pretty quick. My bike is under 9 kilos. It's not only in your head, it's a huge bike advantage." (http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?i...XC5worldcup066)

And now... what do you guys think?
    "I will not relent"

Members who have read this thread: 0