mtbr member
    Nov 2004

RZ140 Bottom bracket creak

Just an FYI.. After thoroughly troubleshooting my crankset and bottom bracket I finally found the creak. The BB30 adapter had broken loose from the loctite that was supposed to hold it. I found this out when I was trying to remove one of the bearing cups and saw the adapter turning as well. According to Cannondale the adapter is not to move at all or it will cause creaking. I hope this helps anyone dealing with that annoying creak

mtbr member

creak

Quote Originally Posted by cooter32 View Post
    Just an FYI.. After thoroughly troubleshooting my crankset and bottom bracket I finally found the creak. The BB30 adapter had broken loose from the loctite that was supposed to hold it. I found this out when I was trying to remove one of the bearing cups and saw the adapter turning as well. According to Cannondale the adapter is not to move at all or it will cause creaking. I hope this helps anyone dealing with that annoying creak
    can you tell me what cranks you are running?
    did you buy the bb30 adaptors? or were they on the bike at purchase?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I was using the Sram GXPi and the adapter came with the original frame. when the original frame broke I think the bike shop had to swap it to the new frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Update! I found it very difficult to locate a BB30 crank set readily available for purchase. Contacted no less than 6 bike shops. Ended up with the NOIR carbon cranks and had the BB30 adapter re-adhered. It is beautiful! Had new chain installed and the LBS said my Lefty needed service so that got done as well. $650 later and I'm back up and running. One bad point is that even though I told them to make sure the cassette was good to go when they checked the chain...they didn't. So now my new chain is skipping and I'm waiting for the new cassette(which I will install myself)

mtbr member
    My rz140 bb is creaking under load as well. I was always suspected adapter to be the cause of the problem. Are there any instructions on how to lock the adapter to stop creaking or it's serviceable only by lbs?
    "Flow" is characteristic of the rider, not of the trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If the adapter is the cause then the LBS is your best bet. The adaptor has to be pressed out then the housing needs to be thoroughly cleaned out and then a specific loc-tite applied and then pressed back in. I would first check the chainring bolts, crank arm and pedals. Remove, clean, lube and re-install each.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter32 View Post
    If the adapter is the cause then the LBS is your best bet. The adaptor has to be pressed out then the housing needs to be thoroughly cleaned out and then a specific loc-tite applied and then pressed back in. I would first check the chainring bolts, crank arm and pedals. Remove, clean, lube and re-install each.
    bolts, crank arm and pedals are taken care of and are in good shape. Will probably have to go to LBS. Thanks!
    "Flow" is characteristic of the rider, not of the trail.

Tool
    Also be sure it's not the lower suspension pivot. Mine made creaky crank-like noises when the nut had loosened a bit.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.