mtbr member
    Mar 2010

RZ140 4 Cornering

I am not feeling comfortable hitting the corners hard on this bike. I have no doubt technique plays a big part, but I have a problem getting the front wheel to take the line I am looking for. On a faster / tighter corner it feels unweighted. I am trying to get forward on the bike to get the weight on the front wheel, keep the body more upright through the turn and point my knee into the corner. It is a stock setup (Schwalbe Nobby Nic tubes, running about 32 psi).

Anyone else got an experience to share with this bike? Can anyone point out the error of my ways?

I'm with stupid
    When going into a corner i found if a make a mental note in my head to drop outside foot down and focus on puttin as much weight as i can on the outside foot and the inside hand on handle bar, I can rip corners, puts my weight in the right spots. One thing i did notice about the rize/rz is that it is reall hard to judge speed on this bike for some reason i tend to be going quite a bit faster entering a corner then i thought and reaching the limits of my front tire and drifting quite a bit. Im what most call a agressive leaner in corners. I solved the proble with a wtb weirwolf (old model) or a maxxis minion single ply on the front. You might just be going to fast for the tires/ corner. try focusing on weight placement first then start the famous front tire hunt.
    I also found this bike really enjoys a 90mm stem or shorter and wider then stock bars might help if you have the cash or a buddy you can test stems and bars on the bike. once you get it down this bike rips.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm not sure what the trails are like you are riding but I fitted a Nobby Nic to the front and I found it really sketchy, hard to corner etc.I ride in Sydney Australia and it is a sandstone based area so it can be quite varied. Hard packed, rocks, sandy etc. (no dirt/mud).

Have you used these tyres before on other bikes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    try Specialized Eskar Sport at 28-30 lbs

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I left the original Maxxis Ridgeline on the front, and never felt uncertain of cornering.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The Maxxis Ridgeline is okay on hard pack but very sketchy on the loose stuff in my opinion.

To the OP, i have read some threads complaining about the Nobby Nics in cornering but others seem to swear by them as well...

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill_Lover
    The Maxxis Ridgeline is okay on hard pack but very sketchy on the loose stuff in my opinion.

To the OP, i have read some threads complaining about the Nobby Nics in cornering but others seem to swear by them as well...
    Continental Mountain King 2.4 UST with 27psi. and your front wheel will stick to the trail like chewing gum to the bottom of your shoes.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    i had the same problem on my rize 5 , said that, i changed the fron tire, bought a classic a TIOGA BLUE DRAGON , fantastic tire, and i started cornering much more confident, loving it, never liked the NN at front, at rear love it and i will buy a new one after this one is gone, but at front, very doggy
    Sai da cama e vem para a lama !!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeydesadist
    try Specialized Eskar Sport at 28-30 lbs

I am not a fan of the Eskar, but Im in NorCal. So, it may not be relevant. They lacked the trasistion nobbies I like.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks all for the tips and responses. I think I need to work on technique first, build up some speed and then work out if the tire is letting me down...

Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck
    When going into a corner i found if a make a mental note in my head to drop outside foot down and focus on puttin as much weight as i can on the outside foot and the inside hand on handle bar,

try focusing on weight placement first then start the famous front tire hunt.
    Good stuff, I'll give this a go. Can you get your weight down on the outside foot if your pedals are closer to 3 and 9 o'clock, or do they need to be at 12 and 6?

Quote Originally Posted by bt100
    I'm not sure what the trails are like you are riding but I fitted a Nobby Nic to the front and I found it really sketchy, hard to corner etc.I ride in Sydney Australia and it is a sandstone based area so it can be quite varied. Hard packed, rocks, sandy etc. (no dirt/mud).

Have you used these tyres before on other bikes?
    First time on these tires, and this bike is a big step up from anything in the past. Getting the setup right has been trial and error. The trials I mostly ride are hard packed, sand, etc. I still think I should get more out of the cornering than I have been achieving.

Quote Originally Posted by Hill_Lover
    This seems to the issue, which is why I'll go tire chasing once I have practiced a few techniques. The tips on alternative tires in this thread are really helpful though