mtbr member
    Sep 2009

RZ Rize rear tire clearance issues

Heres my beef,why would cannondale design the rz with such tight rear tire clearance ??
    Well,theres no need to rant because the overall design of the rz is pretty good,outside of the clearance issues and why didnt they make the med. in a 17.5 (the old standard med seat tube lenght) and slope the top tube for more clearance ???
    So,I mounted a ardent 2.4 and the clearance is very tight,please pass on a few other tires that are bit smaller then the 2.4 ardents.I want to stay with a 2.30 plus high volume tire if possible.
    Also has anyone tried a 2.4 advantage,or nevagals 2.35 as they look to be a bit smaller.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RZ Rize rear tire clearance issues-p1090616.jpg  

Last edited by AMCAT; 02-19-2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: title change

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I may have answered my own question,just picked up a fat albert 2.4 and the clearance looks pretty good.Before I put some miles on the fat albert Id like to hear some reviews (as i can return it,if i dont use it)...please post a review on the fat albert 2.4 and pass on what a.m. tires that your running on your rz or rize
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RZ Rize rear tire clearance issues-p1090617.jpg  

Last edited by AMCAT; 02-19-2011 at 03:09 PM.

I'm with stupid
    I have not run the ardent, but the nevegal 2.35 fit fine, the advantage also fit but was somewhat close on the tall wise. Have not run the fat albert, my friend has the rear and likes it.
    P.S. you might want to throw a chain on there to get some mileage on those new tires.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't run a tire that has less than a 1/4" or so of clearance to the frame on either side. Otherwise with flexing or the potential of a broken spoke, you could really cut into the frame before you relize it!

I currently have a tire that measure 2.25" wide and I don't think I would go wider on my Rize 140.

mtbr member
    I have a 2.4 mountain king mounted to an ex823 on my 2010 RZ 140....there is almost 1/2" of clearance on each side. What tire/rim combo are you using?

mtbr member
    I tried to put Continental Rubber Queen 2.4 UST on the rear of my rz 140. Side clearance was good, but triangle bridge clearance to top of the tire was about 2mm - not good at all, so I've switched to Conti Trail King(rebranded RQ) 2.2".

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i have Continental Mountain King 2.4's on stock wheels and rims and everything fits just fine.

2009 Rize 4, medium.