insert blank disk

RZ One Twenty 3?

After an 8 year hiatus I'm looking to get back in the saddle. My last bike was a Cannodale that I built from the frame up. I'm wondering what you guys think about this bike? My max budget is $1,500, so this is a little more than I was planning to spend. However, if it's right bike I won't miss the $100.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Cannondale dealer local, so I'd have to drive 1.5 hours to test it. Which I don't mind doing, but wanted to get some feedback before making the trip.

insert blank disk
    Bump. Anyone have one of these?

A guy on a bike Moderator
    I've got an RZ 120-1, last year's model. It's a great bike: fast, responsive, and fun. The 3 has different parts, but the same geometry as the 1, so I expect that it would feel similar. No Lefty, of course, but also not the price that goes with it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I bought one last year and love the thing. Of course I was coming from a 5" travel freeride bike, so its a rocket ship in comparison.

mtbr member
    What kind of riding are you planning to do? I have a Rize 3 130mm travel vs 120mm and have moved on to a 29er hardtail for XC riding. When it comes to rough terrain, the Rize will be my choice, but for general XC duty the 29er is perfect and a blast to ride.
    12 Scalpel 2
    10 Super Six
    09 Rize 3 - Retired
    11 EMD 9 - Retired

Helmetless Crasher
    Have an '11 RZ120-2. A truly awesome do-it-all bike for the dough. Love it. Zero regrets. The Lefty fork is key, though.

I would not spend a ton of dough on a non-lefty RZ. Unless you ride very rocky technical terrain or get a lot of air, I think I'd go w/ a hardtail 29er w/ lefty before I'd go non-lefty RZ.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

insert blank disk
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Have an '11 RZ120-2. A truly awesome do-it-all bike for the dough. Love it. Zero regrets. The Lefty fork is key, though.

I would not spend a ton of dough on a non-lefty RZ. Unless you ride very rocky technical terrain or get a lot of air, I think I'd go w/ a hardtail 29er w/ lefty before I'd go non-lefty RZ.
    What's the main difference between the lefty/non-lefty shock?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I picked up a basically new 2009 Rize 3 this summer for $1650 + shipping from a seller on eBay. Other than tires, some brake pads, and lefty maintenance (dry seals from sitting around for two years, I suspect), it has been fabulous. It is a 130mm travel lefty pbr model.

Lefty shocks are stiffer, lighter, and have much less stiction than most standard forks. They are less of a commodity however, and sometimes get a bad rap for being finicky. I wouldn't use anything else for XC and AM biking though. There are some videos out there showing how much stiffer they are and how they still will absorb under high force loads from the sides, unlike standard forks.

mtbr member
    I have both a 130mm lefty and a 100mm RS Reba Race. The Lefty is far more push and stiff, however I have sent it back to the factory twice for a rebuild. But in reality, mountain bike stuff wears out quickly in my opinion. It is no less durable than than the Reba and would choose it over any other shock for weight savings, plushness and stiffness.

Quote Originally Posted by down2ride View Post
    12 Scalpel 2
    10 Super Six
    09 Rize 3 - Retired
    11 EMD 9 - Retired

mtbr member
    I have an 09 rize 4 with some heavy upgrades. The biggest difference between the lefty and standard fork is the flex side to side, but newer forks with the 15mm axle pretty much eliminate that. I'm on a standard fork 140mm travel. I chose standard because of more hub options.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I really want to try a lefty fork but no one has one for testing in my area...

A guy on a bike Moderator
    I love my Lefty. But make sure that you find someone like Mendon Cyclesmith to maintain it. Cannondale dealers aren't required to train their mechanics, and a lot of them are so clueless that it's scary...

Helmetless Crasher
    The lefty is just a bit lighter, tighter, smoother and plusher than the next best fork of similar spec. In my warped brain, if you can get a bike with a Lefty, you do. To me, it is one of the main things that separates a c'dale from the pack. There are lefty bikes, and there are all the rest. : ). Silly, I know.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

insert blank disk
    If I don't have a c'dale shop locally to maintain the bike (lefty) should I consider not buying a c'dale?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    I picked up a basically new 2009 Rize 3 this summer for $1650 + shipping from a seller on eBay. Other than tires, some brake pads, and lefty maintenance (dry seals from sitting around for two years, I suspect), it has been fabulous. It is a 130mm travel lefty pbr model.

Lefty shocks are stiffer, lighter, and have much less stiction than most standard forks. They are less of a commodity however, and sometimes get a bad rap for being finicky. I wouldn't use anything else for XC and AM biking though. There are some videos out there showing how much stiffer they are and how they still will absorb under high force loads from the sides, unlike standard forks.
    Youtube Video of Lefty Benefits

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BritOnTour View Post
    Yep. That's the one I was referring to. Very simple and powerful demonstration.

insert blank disk
    Really good video. Other than saving weight I didn't know the other advantages of the lefty.

Helmetless Crasher
    If I don't have a c'dale shop locally to maintain the bike (lefty) should I consider not buying a c'dale?
    There is not a whole lot of non-DIY maintenance that needs to be done. A bearing reset is a 15 min DIY job. Depending on how, where and how often you ride, it may need non-DIY work once a year, max. You can send it out to Mendon Cycles in the off-season for that. But if you are the typical weekend warrior, it might need to be sent out only every few years, if that.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

cannondale rz one twenty xlr2

cannondale rz one twenty xlr2
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by petmon; 01-23-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: c

I Love my Rize

To clarify the Rize

All Rize's were 140mm of travel which includes the lefty and the rear suspension this came from the top Cannondale tech guy from their race team...... they were marketed as 130mm but were always 140. The RZ 140 is exactly the same frame and shock setup and a new opi lefty with a blow off circuit. I always knew the rear was 140mm but did not know the lefty pbr 130 was actually 140mm.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a 2012 RZ120 2 that I love. Doesnt have the lefty fork. This year the lefty is only available one the 1 for some reason. Has Rock Shox Recon Gold. The only difference between the 2 and 3 is components. Great bike either way.