mtbr member
    Dec 2004

RZ 120 for XC (rear travel question)

I'm narrowing down my choices for my new bike. I'm coming from a 2000 Kona Kula and after test driving a few bikes. 26 hardtail, 29er and 26 FS I have decided that a 26 FS is what I needed.

I demoed this week Xprezo Wuuu which was an amazing bike but a little over my budget
    also today I demoed a Spec EPIC EXPERT 2010 which I liked also but it didn't have the smile factor of the Xprezo.

They have a RZ 120 - 2 at the shop, the price is right and it looks for the price all the components are amazing. No demo so no way to try it. So how is that bike for XC riding? I'm a little worried about the 120 mm of travel in the rear and how well it's going to pedal on XC. I need a do it all bike. I ride a lot of fast single track that are close to my house and on weekend I like to go up north and ride more technical XC. I also use the bike with the family on the bike way around town.

I loved my Gemini that I had for DH a few years ago and always found lefty so intriguing and cool.

Thanks
    Eric

mtbr member
    If its anything like the RZ 140 3Z I have, you will not have problems riding XC. Mine pedals well, in the seat or standing. There is a rear lockout but I have yet to toy with it on the trail, only flipping it on the fire road. My bike has a U-turn 140mm fork, that really works well, but I do have a Carbon Lefty max SPV waiting to go on when I get all the parts needed for the swap. Soon i think!

A guy on a bike Moderator
    The RZ-120 is an awesome all-around bike. You'll love the Lefty. A couple of weekends ago, I rode my 120-1 the complete length of Kokopelli's Trail in a 24-hour push, and the bike was excellent in every way. It's fast, forgiving, responsive, and just plain fun to ride.