mtbr member
    Mar 2010

RZ 120 improper crankset install?

Ever since I got my RZ 120 3, I have had a hard time getting my drivetrain running as smoothly as I would expect. The front derailleur rubs the chain when on the smallest chainring, even though it hits the frame.

I have started looking at the setup of the entire crankset. According to this tech document for my crankset, there should be two spacers on the drivetrain side of the bottom bracket and only one spacer on the other side.

The picture of my bike below shows that there are two spacers on the non-drivetrain side. Is there something that I'm missing, or is my bike improperly setup? Anyone else with an RZ have any feedback?

RZ 120 improper crankset install?-photo-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Put the spacers on the correct way and never go back to your old bike shop

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by karlmichael
    Put the spacers on the correct way and never go back to your old bike shop
    It probably came to the shop that way from Cannondale, so its not entirely the shops fault.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Do you think that the lbs installed the crankset or was that done by Cannondale?

Also, can you confirm that it's setup wrong?

wheelie king
    The cranks come installed in the frame from Cannondale. That doesn't mean that they were installed properly. I've seen incorrect things like 2 left pedals.

mtbr member
    This is not necessary incorrect. This could have been done to improve your existing chain line. Check with Cannondale / shop to see if this was done intentionally before switching anything.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    When I asked my lbs why the front derailleur bottomed out against the frame, they said that it was a bad design by Cannondale.

I emailed Cannondale three times and they finally replied saying that I should take the bike to my lbs.

That's why I thought I would ask here. Does anyone own an RZ that would be willing to look at the setup of their crankset and confirm whether this is how it is intended to be setup?

mtbr member
    RZ is a 68mm shell. I would check with the LBS, but my guess is that they would not have changed it from how it shipped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RZ 120 improper crankset install?-shimano-ext.-bb-diagram.png  

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rider70
    When I asked my lbs why the front derailleur bottomed out against the frame, they said that it was a bad design by Cannondale.

I emailed Cannondale three times and they finally replied saying that I should take the bike to my lbs.

That's why I thought I would ask here. Does anyone own an RZ that would be willing to look at the setup of their crankset and confirm whether this is how it is intended to be setup?
    Don't take it to that LBS that said it's a bad design. That's a total cop out. I will give them that the FD is close to the pivot in a normal set up. However, this should have been caught when the LBS put the bike together and going through all the gears. Cdale seems to have made a mistake and so did the LBS.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

USED2COULD
    This is just sloppy LBS work.
    Back in the olden days when I worked as a tech at an LBS on any bike over say $500 we would pull the crank and bottom bracket to ensure everything was greased and installed correctly. That was with threaded BB's and cranks that required extractors. Today's bikes you can pull the cranks and BB in about 3 minutes. Tops.

On that BB shell Shimano cranks are two spacers on the drive side.

You don't "need" any special tools but if you have the Park tool external bearing wrench (that also fits the Lefty) the opposite end of this is a plastic knurled clover leaf looking thing, that you use to pretension the bearings when reinstalling. It is much easier this way than trying to pre-load the bearings the correct amount otherwise as "finger tight" is about perfect.

Good luck
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    if it bottoms out against the frame its 100% sure that those 2 spacers on the non driveside are wrong.
    try with one on each side or the two on the drive side (takes 2 min)
    after that it wil shift

that shimano manual is good but not always the way to go. often you have to trail and error before you have a good shifting bike
    cannondales seem to be a bit different in the bb area than shimano thinks...