Thread: Rz 120-1 ?????

TGS
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Rz 120-1 ?????

I am so close to buying this bike.. Wondering if any one out there has any comments before I spend close 4 thou on a bike.

Also any one know how much this rig weighs?? Med as speced by Cannondale

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I've not yet riden mine but have weighed it on the bathroom scales,a smidge over 10 kg(22 ish lbs).With you saying it's nearley 4000 I assume you're in the USA.

TGS
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks Smitty

TGS
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well I did it.. Went to the shop and ordered the bike. It will be here mid may!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I also finally decided to order the RZ 120 1.

I will be coming from an old Cannondale Delta V 1000 HT.

The only thing that I am changing is the tires, instead of the Schwalbe Racing Ralph, will go with the new Nobby Nic Hs 411.

TGS
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My bike got here 2 days ago,way a head of schedule. I took it for its virgin run on dirt last night. I am up grading from circa 1994 Proflex 756. Wow big improvement although both bikes weigh about the same. I took it it kinda easy and tried to get used to the new bike and play a bit with various shock and fork settings. So far I love it! The bike is just a hair under 25 lbs. Tracks extremely well, it steers a bit slower than the old proflex and the rider position is way more relaxed, it will take some time to get used to I guess. The brakes work and work well. So much better than cantilevers. I will hit the trails again Sat. and Sun. and my wife is out of town all next week so Everyday next week as well..I will give a full review in a month or so. So far its all love and adulation,Honey moon phase, I guess.

TGS
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well I adjusted the rider position to be a bit more aggressive XC style like I am used to. I backed the seat up as much as possible, after first replacing the stock saddle with my old selle forte. the bike was set up with the riser bars turned in toward me a lot. effectively shortening the reach out and sitting me up so I twisted them back around to rise slightly away from me. Loving the bikes suspension. Today I did a 10 mile loop with the propedal on in the # 2 position and loved it. There was on good rooty decent and I opened it back up for that and it was way plush. Still learning the bike but today was a great day. Even saw an Eagle up on Steven's creek. Sweet

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am glad you got yours and enjoying the ride. Mine has been ordered for 3 months and I am still waiting . I had to borrow a Scalpel for my first race of the season and could not get comfortable with the geometry so the slack geometry hopefully will be spot on for me..

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hi there, totally missed this thread sorry.

Had mine for a about 6wks now & absolutely love it, so much more comforatble than old 67mm Scalpel, tracks better, sprints so much better as back end of Scalpel use to flex like a rubber band!

I have pro-pedal on 3 so it locks out as much as possible to match forks. Travel is all i need, soaks everthing up & with the correct sag i'm yet to blow throug the full travel. have my first mini marathon May 9th, 35miles did it last year in 3:45 bit poor but was only just getting back into cycling, hope to lop an hour of that this time rond

Best bike out there for me

Oh & mine with a few upgrades is about 24lb, no point going any lighter.

Ant

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Just got back from my local bike shop and now it will be the end of May or early June I dont get it, ordered in first week of February. I then asked my shop to see about getting the F1 29r and they told them they was done for the year on the production and that it will be next years model before they are available again. I borrowed a bike for the first race of the year then skipped the second and now the season will be over half way done before I get my bike and thats if they dont put it off again. I thought the idea was to make money,not reject business. In past years it seemed C-Dale found a way to get bikes made for their customers ok! done venting.

TGS
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    sorry to hear about your troubles Dan, bummer. Cannondale shop here has bent over backwards for me and delivered way a head of schedule. I haven't raced in years but I am searching for an event to get back in to it. I have been out on the rz about 5 days a week for the last month , and the IMBA summit has been in town for the last few days so there have been tons of supported rides going on in the area. The new bike definitely felt strange at first but we have become one now and I love it. Going to convert to tubeless with a stans kit, and maybe change the grips, already changed the saddle,but no other changes from stack planned for now.
    Anthony I was wondering what size frame you have and how ya shaved off nearly a pound?
    Would also like your impression of the bike in race conditions
    Thanks.
    Aloha

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS
    Anthony I was wondering what size frame you have and how ya shaved off nearly a pound?
    Would also like your impression of the bike in race conditions
    Thanks.
    Aloha
    Hi TGS,

Mine is a Med, I didn't weigh it before I ripped it to bits so I don't know the before weight. I have changed this on it:
    2009 Crossmax ST wheels running tubeless Nobby Nic & Rocket Ron maybe 200gr for tubes
    2010 Formula The One with Hope floating rotors - rotors aren't much lighter but brakes are about 100gr each!
    FSA K-Force light Bars & Seatpost - about 100gr bar & 50gr post
    Selle Italia Fliite Ti saddle - only a touch lighter but sooo comfy
    SRAM X-0 gripshifts - not sure but maybe100gr over X-9
    XT SPDs are lighter than candy's not sure
    Running 2x9 with Middleburn 26-38 rings

So when you add it all up there's a lot of weight shifted, not from a weight weenie perspective, just getting the bike to the spec I wanted.

It rides so well, had a 30mi race on Sunday, did it in 3:08 which wasn't bad over 40mins off last years time with bad cramp in last 10mi. Bike was awesome, surefooted, climbed well & hammered the descents. Shame about half of them were on roads, it's not an enjoyable "race" just one of a challenge, no twisting singletrack, gnarly descents, just brutal steep road climbs.

All-in-all i love it, not ridden many bikes but it's leagues ahead of anything I've tried, makes my old Scalpel feel, well, Old!! There's just no flex, back-end is solid, bike goes where you point it. Never will consider a hardtail again, why when this is faster in all but the most intense out of saddle sprints?

Still not blown through all the travel, dropped psi by about 25 so sag is over 25% but I've still got about 9-10mm of shock shaft left. Will have to check with all the air out what the limit actually, maybe i have hit it & not known?

HTH

Ant