Thread: Rusty Bolts

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Rusty Bolts

Hey can anyone help me with rusty bolts? I'm getting fussy in my old age and I'd like to replace the rusty bolts that secure the rear shock to my prophet. I don't want stock Cannondale Parts(Cannondale Part # KF 101, 4 pieces), obviously they will rust again, so can anyone help with some options, where to buy etc???? Cheers...................

got the dhr...
    i'd say bring the old ones to your local hardware store, or just get new ones, and put oil on them monthly.

dh1
    mtbr member
    A good hardware store will have a selection of stainless fasteners. Bring in the old ones to match up.

PS: a good local hardware, not the home improvement centers. If your HW store is good, there will be someone there to help you with matching.

mtbr member
    yep, stainless!! a bolt is a bolt.... but there are metric ones which you probably have. just make sure you get the correct bolt thread count and all that jazz.

shut up and RIDE!
    I called my LBS where I puchased my prophet about this very same thing, and sent them pictures. The bike was about 8 months old, and I told them that the rust was just very ugly for a top of the line mountain bike. I was fortunate enough for Cannondale to replace all the bolts on my Prophet shock mount (rear) as well as my lefty.

My mechanic at my LBS told me that everytime I clean my bike after a ride, to take some sort of lube (which ever you use) and put on the end of a q-tip, and just wipe the bolts down. This will help prevent rust in the future.... So far, no more problems.
    '11 Surly Pugsley
    '07 Prophet 3
    96' Killer V 900ht
    04' F700sx
    '10 TommiSea Terrain Destroyer

LA CHÈVRE
    Yep, after a clean, wait for them to dry and lube them... Or if you are more lazy, put a dab of waterproof grease in there instead of just any lube/oil, it will get you through a few washes/rainy rides without having to relube everytime.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :