mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Rush vs. Prophet as a trail pig review here..

After owning both bike's and putting in some miles on the same trails, I thought it was time to post a comparison for those on the fence looking for a trail bike. The Rush is not just for smooth XC. I ride in nasty northeast trails. Rocks and roots abound. I've been riding for 20 years.

The Prophet I had was set up to perfection. Lefty max with the tpc/ti.

The Rush is fitted with an SL carbon and lots of nice stuff. I'm running 2.3 spiders with stans which brings the BB up to 13inches. XT cranks. Thomson post. 90mm SI stem. Foam grips. Avid ultimates. etc...

Flats: The Rush kills the Prophet here. Even if the trail is nasty, with rocks everwhere. If you make a mistake, the Prophet will be more forgiving. The Rush is like a needle. Rather than jumping off rocks I used to launch off, I just weave around them at mach 10. It's it as much fun as jumping? Yeah. This thing turns like it's on rails. 13in BB is plenty.

Rolling hills: Rush again. The momentum I can carry on this thing is king. So fast. So flowy. The 2.3 tires with stans conform to every nook and cranny. I have yet to bottom the thing out.

Climbing: Rush. Lock out the fork and look out. I'm running a 1x8 with a 26t granny in the front. I just fly up tech climbs I used to mope up on the Prophet.

DH: Prophet here. The Prophet was like a circa 1992 dh race rig. It just flew on the dh. Sick.

So in closing, if I had to do it all over and choose one bike. It would be the Rush. I do miss the Prophet now and then but I can only own one bike $.

mtbr member
    My point exactly.
    The Rush will be better 80% of the time.
    The prophet will be better for only for real technical and fast, steep downhills (And, of course, for jumps/ drops and such).
    Also, for the AVARAGE rider, the rush is more than enough. I clear stuff with the rush my friends won't clear with their Hecklers, and then get back to the car with more ease.

It's all about the rider anyway...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Edge,

Thanks for your real life input! Many people speculate, but have not had saddle time on both.

Last year I purchased a 2005 Prophet 1000 demo. I was so anxious to get back on a good trail bike, after riding a completely rigid single speed for a few years.

After several months of riding, I am pretty sure the Rush would be a little more practical for my riding.

I am used to a quick steering XC front end, but the Prophet is more of a slow steering hog (even on XC Setting)

I ride East Coast Rocky Rooty Trails, and many times the Prophet is a little too tall for the super technical parts and feels less stable.

I am on the edge for trying out a Rush. Any one run a Lefty Max on a Rush?

mtbr member

1X8 26t WTF!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by edge
    After owning both bike's and putting in some miles on the same trails, I thought it was time to post a comparison for those on the fence looking for a trail bike. The Rush is not just for smooth XC. I ride in nasty northeast trails. Rocks and roots abound. I've been riding for 20 years.

The Prophet I had was set up to perfection. Lefty max with the tpc/ti.

The Rush is fitted with an SL carbon and lots of nice stuff. I'm running 2.3 spiders with stans which brings the BB up to 13inches. XT cranks. Thomson post. 90mm SI stem. Foam grips. Avid ultimates. etc...

Flats: The Rush kills the Prophet here. Even if the trail is nasty, with rocks everwhere. If you make a mistake, the Prophet will be more forgiving. The Rush is like a needle. Rather than jumping off rocks I used to launch off, I just weave around them at mach 10. It's it as much fun as jumping? Yeah. This thing turns like it's on rails. 13in BB is plenty.

Rolling hills: Rush again. The momentum I can carry on this thing is king. So fast. So flowy. The 2.3 tires with stans conform to every nook and cranny. I have yet to bottom the thing out.

Climbing: Rush. Lock out the fork and look out. I'm running a 1x8 with a 26t granny in the front. I just fly up tech climbs I used to mope up on the Prophet.

DH: Prophet here. The Prophet was like a circa 1992 dh race rig. It just flew on the dh. Sick.

So in closing, if I had to do it all over and choose one bike. It would be the Rush. I do miss the Prophet now and then but I can only own one bike $.

Ahh, how can you rip the hills on granny gear?? I rip the long climbs on my flux with a 3 x 9 and 32t x 34-32-28-26-..... gear and if someone if following then I go on the big ring and stand up and hammer.

I guess I have never seen anyone ripping a climb on granny

You are dead on on the rush... I tried one the other day and liked it a lot.
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    Ahh, how can you rip the hills on granny gear?? I rip the long climbs on my flux with a 3 x 9 and 32t x 34-32-28-26-..... gear and if someone if following then I go on the big ring and stand up and hammer.

I guess I have never seen anyone ripping a climb on granny

You are dead on on the rush... I tried one the other day and liked it a lot.
    You'd have to see the trails I ride to understand how a 26t in front is more than enough. We're talking some really nasty stuff. If you go 10ft without seeing granite, you're lucky. There are no places to open it up even with a 32t. My town is Graniteville MA. No shiet. That's a town in MA.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by meatyocre
    Edge,

Thanks for your real life input! Many people speculate, but have not had saddle time on both.

Last year I purchased a 2005 Prophet 1000 demo. I was so anxious to get back on a good trail bike, after riding a completely rigid single speed for a few years.

After several months of riding, I am pretty sure the Rush would be a little more practical for my riding.

I am used to a quick steering XC front end, but the Prophet is more of a slow steering hog (even on XC Setting)

I ride East Coast Rocky Rooty Trails, and many times the Prophet is a little too tall for the super technical parts and feels less stable.

I am on the edge for trying out a Rush. Any one run a Lefty Max on a Rush?
    The rush is just as slack but the lower bb makes it handle so much better. I love the 69d HA on both bikes, but the prophet was just a bit too tall in the turns. Sitting on vs. sitting in. A lefty max on the rush would rake it to 67d and bump the BB too high. I'm finding that I really don't need more than 110mm. Sure I'd like to have a 140mm for that 20% of dh in my ride, but using the 80/20 rule, I side with the SL. It's so light that I can just float up stuff that would hang me up in the past. The 2.3 spiders help here as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've also got 1 year on a Prophet 1000 and now 200 miles on a new Rush Carbon. I must say for 90% of the riding I do, 110mm is enough. For an XC rider who likes to do a little DH and some smaller drops, you can't go wrong with the Rush.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just picked up a Rush 4 today. I was debating between it and the Prophet 4 and ended up deciding 80+ percent of the time I would probably prefer the Rush.

The ability to adjust the shocks on the rush 4 vs the prophet 4 was one of the big things that pushed me towards the Rush. When using the Prophet it felt like it was sucking the life out of all my pedaling compared to the Rush and I wasn't able to tweak the shock in a way that I was happy. I probably will want to put some bigger tires on the rush in the future though.

Also I figured if I"m on the trail and I run into something that would be sketchy on a rush then maybe that isn't such a bad thing. For now that is

I know you guys are talking about the higher end versions of the bikes, but thought maybe an opinion on the lower level bikes might be useful.

mtbr member
    Looks like I made the right choice on my Rush 3Z that I picked up a couple weeks ago.

seredyns

Smile

Thanks for the comparison. I have a Prophet and ride in very rocky conditions in northern New Jersey. When I chose the Prophet I was worried about the lower BB on the Rush and hitting my pedals in the rock gardens. You mentioned that the larger tires raise the BB. Do you find that you hit your pedals more with the Rush than the Prophet? Just curious because it's gonna be almost two years since I bought the Prophet and I am getting the itch again. Those new Rush carbons sure look nice.....

mnt bike laws of physics
    I have the same size tires on both my Rusk & Prophet and I definitely hit way WAY more with the Rush. BUT that is why it turns like it is on rails.
    As far as a comparison from my point of view. The Prophet excells on
    Technical climbs where good lines are not available - where the higher BB and smoother suspension allow to climb up most anything.
    And very technical downhills - again where finding a good line or trying to get around objects is slower than plowing over them.

I race expert and now that I have the Rush I race it instead although I have won races on both bikes. I should say out of fairness that the Rush is a Carbon model. It makes a big difference in weight and feel and the alum. model would not rate near as high in my book. The weight of the Prophet frame is only 0.2 pounds more than the alum. Rush and the Prophet is probably a little stiffer. The longer Lefty adds a little more weight, but it is way better feeling.
    My Rush does weave through stuff like crazy and I love racing it, but the Prophet shines in the technical stuff.

Ride Fast
    I would go with the Rush. I admit it, I'm a huge weight weenie. But I know a lot about each bike, and I would still go with the Rush.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by seredyns
    Thanks for the comparison. I have a Prophet and ride in very rocky conditions in northern New Jersey. When I chose the Prophet I was worried about the lower BB on the Rush and hitting my pedals in the rock gardens. You mentioned that the larger tires raise the BB. Do you find that you hit your pedals more with the Rush than the Prophet? Just curious because it's gonna be almost two years since I bought the Prophet and I am getting the itch again. Those new Rush carbons sure look nice.....
    I have not had a problem with pedal strike. Perhaps it's because I pay more attention & I find that I'm able to weave through the rocky sections faster. Meaning, because it turns better than the Prophet, I'm able to avoid things I would ussually bash over. I think that having less suspension makes is respond quicker to my input on the bars. The lighter front end help too. To be fair, I am very familiar with the trails I ride. I'm sure if I went somewhere else, I'd be banging the pedals a bit now and then.

The rush bb is 13in with 2.3 tires. The Prophet is 13.7in. Not a huge deal to me. Years ago it would have been.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I agree with most of the posts here, the rush would be a better choice for 80% of the riding time (if youre a trail rider) but..... the real question is what do you enjoy the most; the 80%of climbing or the 20% of downhill, jumps and drops. I would rather charge as hell during DH, jumps and drops and suffer a little more on climbings. On my regular riding group there are a specialized fsrxc, a giant trance, a rush, a heckler and my prophet along other bikes and the heckler and my prophet are faster on DH and better at jumps, when doing same jumps and drops sometimes shorter travel bikes (4") bottom out and longer (5.5") roll on clear.
    I know that a rider makes a lot of difference but more travel and relaxed geometry are always better for DH and jumping.
    I have ridden my friend rush quite a bit and its not better or worse, its different, it definetly more a XC bike. there is one particular thing that really makes both bikes different; both size S with same size stem its way easier to pull the prophet into a manual or a wheelie.
    I have to say that I ride my prophet in FR mode, I have tried the XC mode and absolutely hate it, it felt like youre going over bars, good for climbing but if you buy a bike with 5.5 of travel youre not looking for a XC bike, youre looking for a all mountain/freeride bike.
    There are a lot of different trail riders out there, but if youre the type that are always looking for the small jump or drop (like me) or always want to be the first when going down I think the prophet would be a better choice for you.

bernardo

Cannondale Snob
    Hehehe, I am always looking for the jumps and drops (3' drop is my comfort level so far), and feel that at this level, the Rush excells. Perhaps if I were riding 5' drops I'd want the extra 30mm of travel. I have both the fork and shock on my Rush pumped up a bit higher than recomended, and pretty much always run the rear shock on its firmest setting (except when riding exceedingly rocky/rooty trails). I don't believe I've ever ran out of rear travel (judging by the O-ring), and I really have no idea if I've bottomed out the Lefty (though I most likely have), but the 110mm has been all the travel I've ever needed.
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bernardo
    I agree with most of the posts here, the rush would be a better choice for 80% of the riding time (if youre a trail rider) but..... the real question is what do you enjoy the most; the 80%of climbing or the 20% of downhill, jumps and drops. I would rather charge as hell during DH, jumps and drops and suffer a little more on climbings. On my regular riding group there are a specialized fsrxc, a giant trance, a rush, a heckler and my prophet along other bikes and the heckler and my prophet are faster on DH and better at jumps, when doing same jumps and drops sometimes shorter travel bikes (4") bottom out and longer (5.5") roll on clear.
    I know that a rider makes a lot of difference but more travel and relaxed geometry are always better for DH and jumping.
    I have ridden my friend rush quite a bit and its not better or worse, its different, it definetly more a XC bike. there is one particular thing that really makes both bikes different; both size S with same size stem its way easier to pull the prophet into a manual or a wheelie.
    I have to say that I ride my prophet in FR mode, I have tried the XC mode and absolutely hate it, it felt like youre going over bars, good for climbing but if you buy a bike with 5.5 of travel youre not looking for a XC bike, youre looking for a all mountain/freeride bike.
    There are a lot of different trail riders out there, but if youre the type that are always looking for the small jump or drop (like me) or always want to be the first when going down I think the prophet would be a better choice for you.

bernardo
    Good points. When I come up to the little 3ft drop on the trail that I used to launch off with my Prophet, I just avoid it all together on the Rush. I ran my Prophet in FR mode for about six months. It was amazing on the DH stuff. Climbing and JRA was pretty floppy tho. I ended up putting it back to XC mode and liked the quicker steering. The key to the prophet XC mode is to err on the larger size frame for your body type and get a shorter, low rise stem (80mm). It's still a bit hard to get behind the saddle due to the 75d SA but, you get used to it quick.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I definitely don't avoid the drops on my Rush. I've done drops to around 4' with no issues. I did, however, do the same kind of stuff on my old hardtail. Your legs have way more than 4-5" of travel in them...you just have to know how to use it.

The BB height is something you have to get used to and accept if you love the Rush handling. I've gotten much much better with timing my pedal strokes and avoiding hits now that its become more 2nd nature. I just wouldn't recommend using hollow carbon cranks after seeing the dents and dings on my crankarms thus far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Great review edge, I have a Rush too and 110mm of travel is all I need. And I'm now a believer on single pivot bikes as I rarely use the propedal lever, I can't feel suspension bob at all, try to say that of a FSR bike!!! Handling is amazing, as if I had owned this bike forever.

My only observation so far is that I can feel a little bit of flex in the swingarm, nothing to worry about but I know it's there. The pedals are a bit low but I had a F1000 before so I'm kind of used to pedal timing anyway, I don't see it as a disadvantage.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I have found that after I moved my prophet to the slack head angle I get alot of pedal strikes. but I like the feel and the steering. I also ride a Turner Flux so I have my speedy XC rig. I ride the prophet when I go on group rides with slower riders and I want to do some drops. I am also a heavy guy so the 140mm lefty is a plus for me. I would have chosen a rush but I got my prophet used. I have shaved alot of weight off by going with custom wheels, new brakes and cranks and drivetrain. The prophet is great for downhill riders who don't shuttle. I also upgraded to a Manitou swinger and it pedals very nicely.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    ime lucky enough ,i own a carbon rush and a prophet 800 05 model,for me the rush wins hands down,its a cross between my 1998 raven and my 2000 jekyll,sadly no longer with me,it just feels fast even though ime not anymore,my prophet,at first i hated it,worst cannondale ide ever had,but after some fettling and,adjusting,i now love it,but if push came to shove,and i could only have one bike,it would have to be the rush,but its all about opinions.