Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rush Too Low & Prophet Too Long??

My beloved 2003 Jekylls frame broke and C-dale says to pick a new '08 Rush or Prophet. Im very split between the 2 bikes, even after browsing mtbr. The drawbacks seem to be the lower bb of the Rush and the longer wheelbase of the Prophet. Everyone who compares either to a Jekyll says how much better the bikes are...I want a bike that's good in rough East Coast terrrain, climbs well, and wont be limiting in narrow switchbacks.
    The new bike will not have a lefty.

Thanx
    Attached Images Attached Images

LA CHÈVRE
    It's almost cruel to post a picture of your dead bike isn't it?

Will you use your Headshok? If so, I'd go with the Rush, a Headshok on a Prophet would have a weird geometry and feel, unless you use a shorter shock to also drop the rear end... but then you'd be almost back to a Rush... The Headshok has almost the same height as a 110mm Lefty so it wouldn't screw up the geometry. I vote Rush.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    I'll be ditching the Headshok for a Vanilla or maybe a Pike if I go Prophet. Im also open to fork ideas. Ive been only on 70-80mm headshoks so long!

If I go Rush, I'll see how the Headshok works.

I have an Optimo to ride as well, so either duallie wont have to "do it all".

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

I'd go Rush

Quote Originally Posted by pedaler845
    My beloved 2003 Jekylls frame broke and C-dale says to pick a new '08 Rush or Prophet. Im very split between the 2 bikes, even after browsing mtbr. The drawbacks seem to be the lower bb of the Rush and the longer wheelbase of the Prophet. Everyone who compares either to a Jekyll says how much better the bikes are...I want a bike that's good in rough East Coast terrrain, climbs well, and wont be limiting in narrow switchbacks.

Thanx
    Having had a Jekyll with both Headshok and Lefty, the natural successor would be the Rush. Sad and surprising that the frame failed - I always thought the Jekyll rather over-engineered.

I own a carbon Rush with Lefty - it's an awesome bike. I am selling a Prophet at the moment on ebay - just too flexy at rear end. It never felt too long tho'.

If I were buying my Rush again, I would by the Rush 4 - carbon front end and a Fox F120 fork, which raises the rather low BB height and makes the front taller and head angle slightly slacker by about a degree. It's had rave reviews in our UK mags- 'What MTB' & 'mbr' and 'M.B.A.' in the US loved it too.

Good Luck
    LJJ

mtbr member
    I agree, go with the rush. I demo'ed a Prophet and felt a flexy rear end when I started to hammer on it going up hills. The rush is a really stiff bike, especially the carbon.

Definitely go lefty if you are going with the Rush, it completes the bike.

mtbr member
    you can always sell the new frame, old parts and get something else?

Ridin' dirty!
    I agree...go with a Rush!
    Hey Amillmtb, how can the Prophet feel flexy compared to the Prophet, sine the swing arm design is pretty much the same? I know your Prophet Geometry pic all to well I just think they swing arms are identical as far as the hot box area and everything else goes only that the Prophet has the additional holes for FR/CC.....
    Or is Rush really that much stiffer because of the brace on the swing arm?
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    I am NO expert nor am I a novice, But I can't feel any flex bad enough to put me off riding my Prophet 1000, I PERSONALLY feel that the Magazines do not explain what they are getting at in enough detail, when they they say there is flex in the swing arm, you would presume that the bike is unridable and uncontrollable due to this super flexy back end.

Utter Rubbish is what I say, true it may not be as stiff as an Orange five swing arm or other bike with similar raised chain stay swing arm design, BUT are they as light as the Uncontrollable rear ended prophet?

I guess what I'm getting at is that the Magazines have to write hyper critical stuff like this or they would have nothing to write about and be out of a job.

Get the Prophet OR the rush they are both great bikes with or without the lefty, although if bottom bkt height is a concern (i.e if you normally ride rocky rooty terrain as in the picture above) get the rush 4 as mentioned above, if not and you normally ride smooth flowing terrain then is the bottom bkt height really a problem?

hope this helps?

mtbr member
    All about it is here:

The first two hours was spent listening to the Designers, Testers and Engineers waxing lyrical about the hydroformed tubing, balance of the bike being perfect, the 10 months of testing with Cedric Garcia to get the swingarm flex right. It is clear that they have put a huge amount of effort, research and passion into this bike to produce the lightest longest travel bike in its class.

This doesn't come from Magazines but from Cannondale as something that should be mentioned.

Let's see the new Cannondale...will it say "improved frame stiffness"? But likely no longer "the lightest longest travel bike in its class".
    Last edited by ozvena; 01-10-2008 at 03:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    "Flexy" seems to be the buzzword on this forum and I think it really gets overused. Can all these people that complain about "flexy" frames, "flexy" wheels and "flexy" thingamajigs really notice it? I've grown to loathe the non-word "flexy".
    Last edited by vitaccop; 01-08-2008 at 07:16 PM.

mtbr member
    No need to get upset. It is reality that even the manufacturer talks about. I think it would be unfair to not to talk about it in threads like this one. I wish I knew about it when I was discussing my new bike. I hate surprises. Now I got Prophet and I think it was still the best choice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prophet_1000
    I am NO expert nor am I a novice, But I can't feel any flex bad enough to put me off riding my Prophet 1000, I PERSONALLY feel that the Magazines do not explain what they are getting at in enough detail, when they they say there is flex in the swing arm, you would presume that the bike is unridable and uncontrollable due to this super flexy back end.

Utter Rubbish is what I say, true it may not be as stiff as an Orange five swing arm or other bike with similar raised chain stay swing arm design, BUT are they as light as the Uncontrollable rear ended prophet?

I guess what I'm getting at is that the Magazines have to write hyper critical stuff like this or they would have nothing to write about and be out of a job.

Get the Prophet OR the rush they are both great bikes with or without the lefty, although if bottom bkt height is a concern (i.e if you normally ride rocky rooty terrain as in the picture above) get the rush 4 as mentioned above, if not and you normally ride smooth flowing terrain then is the bottom bkt height really a problem?

hope this helps?
    I agree. I've had my Prophet 1000 for almost 3 years now and it still amazes me. I typically can climb, bomb, and hammer though anything better than most of the people I ride with. My wife has a Rush and since we are the same size they are both medium. It feels much more like a ht but still soaks up the bumps really well. However, for aggressive riding on the rocky trails we have here in New England, the Prophet is perfect for me. That is no coincidence since Cannondale headquarters are in CT and they are often seen testing throughout New England..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pedaler845
    The drawbacks seem to be the......... the longer wheelbase of the Prophet.

Thanx
    I think the longer wheelbase is a misconception because of the lack of stem choice with the Lefty.

I have a Prophet which I built up from the frame. No Lefty ever mounted. The chainstay is actually pretty short at 16.5 " and the bike is very flickable.

My friend has a Prophet which original had a Lefty. He use to endo all the time on technical steeps. He switch to a regular fork and a 50mm stem and stopped his bike from being an endomatic.

Don't get me wrong. The Lefty is probably great for regular XC and all-mountain but will really test your skills on super steep technical stuff. We have no flat trails here.

My Prophet is a small my friends is a medium. I remember trying his medium with the Lefty and the bike felt to long for me. The bike felt way shorter when he switch the Lefty out and put a 50mm stem on it.

mtbr member
    The crack happened on the rear section, just behind the cross piece at the weld. Its the second swingarm they warranteed for me, the first was on a 2000 Raven.
    I looked into some of the ideas mentioned .
    I'm pretty sure the Rush bb will not fit my style, I like having a big ring.
    I also like plush and long travel.
    My Jekyll's suspension to many was an unbalanced freak, but it worked well and saved more than a pound. I am looking forward to balanced suspension, and now need to pick a fork. The Marz AM's, Pike, Vanilla...
    I'll be calling my shop tomorrow and ask for a Prophet in white:
    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/cusa/model-8VE1.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I probably had that crack a while; when I would lock the brakes and hop I'd hear a creak that I thought was a brake pad moving. Once the wheel was removed and the bike was on its side it let go completely.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    get the prophet, its maybe heavier than the rush but then it takes bigger drops in th AM category. the adjustable geometry will help and GET A LEFTY. bigger travel than the rush makes it more AM than XC

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaccop
    "Flexy" seems to be the buzzword on this forum and I think it really gets overused. Can all these people that complain about "flexy" frames, "flexy" wheels and "flexy" thingamajigs really notice it? I've grown to loathe the non-word "flexy".
    Yes they can. The Prophet is flexier than a wet noodle. It must be the first bike with two wheel steering. It makes a straight tarmac road feel like twisty singletrack. It's just so bad, I'd rather ride a rubber band equipped with wheels! Oh, did I say it's flexy? It sure is flexy, damn flexy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozzz
    Oh, did I say it's flexy?
    Lol!!! Boozzz, I would be afraid of this guy coming after you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozzz
    Yes they can. The Prophet is flexier than a wet noodle. It must be the first bike with two wheel steering. It makes a straight tarmac road feel like twisty singletrack. It's just so bad, I'd rather ride a rubber band equipped with wheels! Oh, did I say it's flexy? It sure is flexy, damn flexy!

I would define flexy as a Fox Vanilla front fork with a quick release, not a Prophet rear swing arm.

I could feel the flex BAD on that fork. I personally have never noticed any rear flex on my Prophet, whether I'm leaning on a fast turn or cranking off the seat. Maybe I'm just used to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ozvena
    Lol!!! Boozzz, I would be afraid of this guy coming after you.
    Yes.. I have dispatched a squadron of trained attack kittens to your house....

mtbr member
    I hate kittens!

mtbr member
    I think The Prophet Looks Awesome in white.

I wished mine would break so I could get a new one on warranty, IN WHITE!

In the mean time, where did I put my spray gun?

got the dhr...
    i have an 08 prophet 2. i feel no flex in it, well no lateral flex. if people are so worried about flex and stifness, then go buy a rigid bike . i think stifness is over rated. people need to stop being so b!tchy about it. i say get that prophet, then get a marzocchi 55. dont listen to anybody about "oh when the suspension compresses, i feel flex" they are stupid! why buy a FS bike if you want stiffness? and if you feel pedal bob, all you have to do is reach under your butt and flip the little blue lever. people annoy me. have fun with whatever bike you choose. ohh, and the prophet actually has a short wheelbase, at least thats how it feels to me, i think that its acctually the perfect length.

mtbr member
    I thought about getting a Lefty for another bike, but then I got stickershock. I could get the best Fox fork and a round trip to Vegas!
    I am psyched to get long travel...Im hoping with my build it'll be 29lbs.
    The Jekyll's rear hooked up great before the Float was Pushed.

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaccop
    Yes.. I have dispatched a squadron of trained attack kittens to your house....
    Nooooo, not the kittens! But they better watch out, I've got some hard core ex-navy seal mice here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast