mtbr member

Which Rush is right?

Hello everyone,
    I just demoed a Carbon Rush Team and absolutely fell in love with the bike. I had a moment where I knew that this is the bike for me. Now I am in a bit of a jam. There is no way I am going to afford the Rush Team. My price range can only accomodate the Rush 3 and the Carbon Rush 2. The rush is definiely pushing the limits of my price range but it just means a few more days of overtime and sacrificing expensive nights out with friends with much cheaper nights out with friends. Everyone post your advice "All out balls to the walls with the Carbon Rush 2" or "Conservative with Rush 3?"

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Is there really a difference because both frames are awesome.
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

LA CHÈVRE
    Have you tried the alloy Rush? The carbon is a bit lighter and also stiffer.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mad aussie
    I would suggest going with the Carbon Rush 2, there definately seems to be a difference between the alloy and carbon, although how much on the Rush team can be attributed to the SLR wheels and SI cranks is another question.
    If you get the Carbon 2, then you will be riding the bike so much that you wont go out with your friends and then you could afford to upgrade the bike to bring it closer to the Team.......

Kevin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Have you tried the alloy Rush? The carbon is a bit lighter and also stiffer.
    I never demoed or tried the alloy. Is the difference significant enough to go with the carbon version?? Is the difference worth the extra cash??

Hup, Hup
    I have both an alloy '06 Rush 2000 and an '07 Rush Carbon 2. I love both of them a lot. Yes, the Carbon is stiffer than the alloy version and a bit lighter to boot, ~ 1 pound. If the Rush Carbon is in your price range, by all means grab one, you will not be sorry. However, don't put your pocketbook into the negative for it, the alloy Rush is still an awesome bike. I can think of no reason why I wouldn't be happy rolling the Rush 2000 any day of the week. For me I really like have a stiff bottom bracket on any of my bikes but, that's me. If you feel the same way, get them carbon. Just remember that you won't be sorry either way.
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Scalpel Team
    '07 Cannondale SystemSix Team

mtbr member

Latest Development

I talked to a bike shop and they have a Rush 800 available for $1600. With that in mind, the Rush Carbon 2 is now not an option because of the price. The Rush 800 and Rush 3 are very similar. What is everyone's take on the two and which one should i get??

mtbr member
    i dont know what the rush 800 is but the rush 3 looks pretty good on the website... sram, eggbeaters and all that

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CanOnlyRide
    i dont know what the rush 800 is but the rush 3 looks pretty good on the website... sram, eggbeaters and all that
    here are the specs for both

Rush 3:

Frame Rush, 110 mm
    Fork Lefty Speed Bonded DLR2, 110 mm
    Rear Shock FOX Float RP23
    Rims Mavic CrossLand UST
    Hubs Mavic CrossLand UST
    Spokes Mavic CrossLand UST
    Tires Maxxis CROSSMARK XC UST, 26 x 2.1"
    Pedals CrankBrothers Egg Beater
    Crank FSA Afterburner MegaExo, 22/32/44
    Chain Shimano 9-speed
    Rear Cogs SRAM PG-970, 11-34
    Bottom Bracket FSA Afterburner MegaExo
    Front Derailleur Shimano LX
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X-9
    Shifters SRAM X-7 Trigger
    Handlebars FSA XC-281AOS, 25 mm rise
    Stem Cannondale XC3 Si, 31.8 mm
    Headset Cannondale HeadShok Si
    Brakeset Avid Juicy 7
    Brakelevers Avid Juicy 7
    Saddle Fi'zi:k Nisene II Sport
    Seat Post Cannondale C3 2014 Alloy
    Colors Jet Black w/Charcoal Grey/Patriot Blue HyperHighlight (gloss) (GRY), Vredestein Team Replica (gloss) (REP)

Rush 800:
    Frame Rush, 110 mm
    Fork Lefty Speed Bonded DLR2, 110 mm
    Rear Shock FOX Float R
    Rims Mavic XM117 Disc, 32 hole
    Hubs Cannondale Lefty front, Shimano M475 rear
    Spokes DT Swiss Champion
    Tires IRC Serac XC, 26 x 2.1"
    Pedals CrankBrothers Egg Beater
    Crank FSA V-Drive MegaExo, 22/32/44
    Chain Shimano 9-speed
    Rear Cogs SRAM PG-950, 11-34
    Bottom Bracket FSA V-Drive MegaExo
    Front Derailleur Shimano LX
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT
    Shifters Shimano LX Dual Control
    Handlebars FSA XC-281AOS, 25 mm rise
    Stem Cannondale XC3 HeadShok, 31.8 mm
    Headset Cannondale HeadShok Si
    Brakeset Shimano LX
    Brakelevers Shimano LX Dual Control
    Saddle Fi'zi:k Nisene II Sport
    Seat Post FSA FR-270
    Colors Race Red (gloss) w/ reflective decals (RED), Lightning White (gloss) w/ glow decals (WHT).

LA CHÈVRE
    The Rush 800 is more like this year's Rush 4 so it's a downgrade from the Rush 3 but the most striking differences are the SRAM vs Shimano setups, better tires and wheels, Tubeless setup on the 3 vs tubed on the 800, a much better shock on the 3... It all depends what budget you want to throw in and the price of both bikes... Rush 800 for 1600$, how much for the Rush 3?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    The Rush 800 is more like this year's Rush 4 so it's a downgrade from the Rush 3 but the most striking differences are the SRAM vs Shimano setups, better tires and wheels, Tubeless setup on the 3 vs tubed on the 800, a much better shock on the 3... It all depends what budget you want to throw in and the price of both bikes... Rush 800 for 1600$, how much for the Rush 3?
    The shop I am buying it from is not selling the 3 for less then $2500. Its $850 for, what I think is just tubeless tires. If I get Stan's conversion, i think I should be okay. But as far as the frame, I don't really think anything has changed at all geometry, material, or performance right??

LA CHÈVRE
    Frame is the same but as I said, the 3 comes with a much better platform shock, the Float R is an old shock and a lot happened in shock technology recently... And the wheels are not only tubeless, they are stronger, stiffer and lighter too. The XM117 are the lowest grade rims from Mavic. And personnaly, I wouldn't convert standard rims and tires to tubeless, a true UST rim and tires are much safer and more reliable, they are a lot easier to setup too, takes no more time to mount tires on than a standard tube and tire setup... Others might have a different opinion though.

But, 850$ is a steep difference so I leave it to you to decide if the differences are worth it...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'd get the 800, you can use the $850 to get lighter wheels (DT 4.2 rims/Hope rear hub/Cdale lefty front hub), a lighter crank like a shimano XT, a nice carbon handlebar, and some other parts.

Or you can get the wheels and upgrade to a RP23 shock if you feel the need.
    It's a no brainer IMO

mad aussie
    I dont believe the Crosslands are much lighter than the 117 combination, although they are tubeless. I converted the tires on my Rush 600 to tubeless when I first purchased it by adding the Maxxis rimstrips. They actually held air well until a sidewall cut brought them down.
    I agree with the last poster that with the 850 saved you could get a great set of wheels built that would save major amounts of weight. If you are a heavier or more aggressive rider I would look into the Mavic XM819 ahead of the DT 4.2.
    I would definately suggest upgrading to the RP23, it was the best upgrade I added to my Rush.

Kevin

LA CHÈVRE
    True, 850$ gets you nice upgrades, better than a pair of Crosslands...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help.. I really like the deal I am getting for the 800 but I am not going to "RUSH" this purchase and take my time. THe bike I have now does not fit me at all. The bike shop I got it from was more interested in selling me a bike then helping me buy the right bike.

mtbr member
    ok I know I might be annoying at this point so I am basically telling everyone what the final verdict is. I am not getting either the Rush 3 or the 800. Instead I am going to build a bike using a Rush frame. Actually the components are like the Rush carbon 2 except alloy frame, panaracer tires ust, LX crank, XTR chain. I will post the final spec list when I figure it out. At this point I just F*ck this and let me build a bike I want. RIDE TODAY, WORK TOMORROW!!!!