A little of everything

The Rush revival

After a two year brake I'm back into XC racing here in Denmark. Not much has happened to my custom build Rush 3000 since I bought it early 2007, so it's time for some upgrading. Currently the frame is having a repaint to the new 2009 BBQ colors and the fork is just back from a rebuild at 88+ in Germany. The biggest change though is to the cranks.
    Since I broke my Extralite E-bones W (my fault) I have been riding with a set of XTR cranks. I have missed running my 42/30 tooth Boone rings ever since the change, but just didn't know which cranks to buy. Then I saw the thread about running the Hollowgram cranks in a normal BB shell and here's how it went.

I had a machine shop close to my previous work place modify the axel. The extra press fitting for the bearing has been cryofitted to the axel and turned down to size afterwards. The did a very nice job with that. The bearing cups are from my broken Extralite cranks and use the same bearings as BB30. The inside of the cups needed to have a bit material removed to clear the axel. I made two spacers to hold the axel centered and bought a spring to preload the bearings, but I'm not sure if it's needed at all.
    I just bought the crankarms cheap on ebay. It's a compact road spider with 175mm arms, so I bought a new 2x9 spider from Dr. Cannondale and the bolts. As you might guess I'm going for the black/red styling this time. I decided on the blank crankarms, as the look nicer that the black ones after years of use. As you might have notices I'm still waaiting for the toll to replace the spider.

I'll update the thread with more pictures when my frame arrives.
    Attached Images Attached Images

...a wiggle theres a way
    looks good, can't wait to see the finished product

joe

mtbr member
    Wow. That looks good.

What does the crank/spindle/bearings weigh? I can assume it is light, you have Hollogram's with Boone rings and Extralite bolts. Cant weight (pun/misspelling intended) to see the finished product!

A little of everything
    The spindle including cups, bearings and spacers weigh 175g. As the compact road spider is still attached to the arm I don't know the precise weight yet.
    When including both spiders as in the picture and the bolts it's 535g and I would guess the road spider weigh around 45g which leads to a total around 665g.

A little of everything

Finally

Finally got my frame and got it build up this morning. Cannondale did a great job repainting the frame, but destroyed my Easton EC90 seatpost in the process. Though I with success have used the Boone chainrings on four different bikes before this one, they won't shift properly on this bike, so they might get exchanged for some with shift ramps. Black chainrings might also suit the bike better. The weight of the bikes is 10.3 kg.

mtbr member
    Very nice!!!

Ridin' dirty!
    Looks sweeeeet!
    How much did you pay for the paint job?
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

A little of everything
    Thanks, the price was around 330 euro including new bearings, axel and headset cups.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    holy seat post batman

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You did a great job and it also looks fantastic

mtbr member

Very Nice Congrats

I recently had my Rush rebuilt after three years- got some ceramics in my si cranks-feels faster. The bike is a blast to ride and I still love the lines. Enjoy!

Can't stop the Prophet
    Killer rebuild man, looks good!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Nice bike, the color looks great.

I still don't understand why Cannondale doesn't offer repaint services in the States.

A little of everything
    Quote Originally Posted by tocoldmn
    holy seat post batman
    Well it's only 25cm out of the frame, I have seen much worse. That's the problem with Cannondale frames, they got these very short seat tubes.

A little of everything
    I have just been out on a 3 hour ride on the Rush, after borrowing a Taurine for the 6 week it took to get the Rush repainted, There is no question that the Rush just carries that extra speed on the single tracks in comparison to the Taurine. I must mention, that the Taurine had a Headshok installed in comparison to my Lefty Terralogic. After getting back on my own bike, there are two issues that is very clear about the Rush versus the Taurine.

1. Tight single track is not what the Rush was made for. The long wheel base and slack headangle just make it very hard to keep up speed in tight turns and I you push it too much, it will wash out on you. The Taurine is just much much better at this and you are able to keep the weight on the front wheel and go faster.

2. On even and steep climb the Rush just feels soft, slow and a bit heavy compared to the Taurine. I'm not sure if it actually is slower, it just feels that way.

But the is no question that the Rush is just much more funn to ride. Especially when you get a bit tired you are still able to keep up the speed. On the Taurine you always needs to be able to stand up and pedal when it gets bumpy etc.

A little of everything
    Just got the last parts for the Rush. An Easton EC90 seatpost and some black FRM 44/29 chainrings I have no more plans for it.

mtbr member
    Whats the weight?

A little of everything
    It's around 10.3 kg. The frame alone weigh 3 kg and the fork 1.5 kg, so that's where the weight is placed.

mtbr member
    What size RR's are you running? ESI grips?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjm_2000
    ESI grips?
    The ESI's are cylindrical.

A little of everything
    These are the 2.1" version. When dry I run the FF on the rear. The grips are Ritchey WCS foam cut to size.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    These are the 2.1" version. When dry I run the FF on the rear. The grips are Ritchey WCS foam cut to size.
    I run the same grips (uncut) - very comfortable.
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '14 Rip 9 | Pike 140mm 26.6
    10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb Stolen
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb