mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Rush problems anyone...

Just wondering if anyone else has experience this...one of the guys at our shop got a new Rush 2000, #3 off the line, and on Tues. snapped the carbon seatpost (seams it is not re-inforced) then the RP3 shock seized up after a ride on Thurs. Fox was totally cool, gave an RA # and will warranty it. Anyone else had these problems?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MqtRider
    Just wondering if anyone else has experience this...one of the guys at our shop got a new Rush 2000, #3 off the line, and on Tues. snapped the carbon seatpost (seams it is not re-inforced) then the RP3 shock seized up after a ride on Thurs. Fox was totally cool, gave an RA # and will warranty it. Anyone else had these problems?
    Neither one of those is a "Rush problem" IMHO.

LA CHÈVRE
    Was the seatpost inserted deep enough in the frame? Was it tightened correctly? What seatpost is it? Like edge says, they are not Rush problems at all.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Well, I would say that the seatpost is a rush problem, they are building these bikes with funky geometry so everyone I've heard of has to ride them with the seat at or above the max line or buy a new seatpost, total BS on a bike that costs several thousand dollars. Seems to me like it's really really stupid for cannondale to build a bike like that and put a short carbon fiber seatpost on it, that's just asking for a problem, I'd much rather have a seatpost that was one, long enough for the design of the bike, and two, made out of something that would bend or give some warning before a failure. Carbon fiber tends to explode when it fails, having that much seat post sticking out of the bike putts way too much stress on it to use CF in my opinion even if the post was long enough (which it's not). The shock however has nothing to do with the rush, they use that same shock on half the bikes out there today, just unlucky, they'll warranty it and everything should be fine.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Biker
    Well, I would say that the seatpost is a rush problem, they are building these bikes with funky geometry so everyone I've heard of has to ride them with the seat at or above the max line or buy a new seatpost, total BS on a bike that costs several thousand dollars.Seems to me like it's really really stupid for cannondale to build a bike like that and put a short carbon fiber seatpost on it, that's just asking for a problem.
    Huh? How does geometry affect saddle height, or am I misunderstanding you? I have not seen one yet, out of the frame, but the post is listed as a Cannondale Carbon, same as I have on my Prophet, which is plenty long. Are you saying they are specing a shorter Carbon post on the Rush, than what comes on other bikes from them? Trying to sort this out in my head.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

My fault...

sorry, needed to be more specific, "problems associated with parts on a Rush" .

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Huh? How does geometry affect saddle height, or am I misunderstanding you? I have not seen one yet, out of the frame, but the post is listed as a Cannondale Carbon, same as I have on my Prophet, which is plenty long. Are you saying they are specing a shorter Carbon post on the Rush, than what comes on other bikes from them? Trying to sort this out in my head.
    Maybe the ST is shorter than usual and therefore needs more seatpost sticking out. Dunno.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    The seat tube is really short because the top tube slopes down so you have to have more seat post sticking out than on a normal frame so a normal length seat post isn't long enough. With all that extra post sticking I'm guessing there is a lot more stress on the seat post, thus the reason I wouldn't ride a CF post on that bike.

LA CHÈVRE
    The seat tube is really short because the top tube slopes down so you have to have more seat post sticking out than on a normal frame so a normal length seat post isn't long enough. With all that extra post sticking I'm guessing there is a lot more stress on the seat post, thus the reason I wouldn't ride a CF post on that bike.
    According to the geometry chart (although there are some errors in there, maybe in the seat tube length measures too), the seat tubes on the Rush are about the same length as on the Prophet and I never heard any complaints there. I understand your point but... Perhaps Rush riders like smaller bikes and need the put the saddle much higher?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    According to the geometry chart (although there are some errors in there, maybe in the seat tube length measures too), the seat tubes on the Rush are about the same length as on the Prophet and I never heard any complaints there. I understand your point but... Perhaps Rush riders like smaller bikes and need the put the saddle much higher?
    I've ridden lots of large frames.... this is the first one that I couldn't get the seat high enough.... I'd try the extra large, but the large is already too long of a reach to the bars. It's simple enough to fix by buying a new seat post... but I think it's a design flaw if half the riders who spend thousands on your product have to buy parts to make it ridable.

mtbr member
    I've ridden lots of large frames.... this is the first one that I couldn't get the seat high enough.... I'd try the extra large, but the large is already too long of a reach to the bars. It's simple enough to fix by buying a new seat post... but I think it's a design flaw if half the riders who spend thousands on your product have to buy parts to make it ridable.
    Large RUSH has the same seat tube length as large Prophet, XL Rush is 3 cm shorter than XL Prophet. I wanted Rush and shorter ST was one of the reasons I went w/ Prophet, but then again I have 38" inseam and ride 410mm Thomson post on XL frame

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    For the record, all sizes except XL are the same seat tube length Prophet, and Rush. XL is 1.2" longer on Prophet than Rush. From Cannondales' website.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Well, I would say that the seatpost is a rush problem, they are building these bikes with funky geometry so everyone I've heard of has to ride them with the seat at or above the max line or buy a new seatpost, total BS on a bike that costs several thousand dollars. Seems to me like it's really really stupid for cannondale to build a bike like that and put a short carbon fiber seatpost on it, that's just asking for a problem, I'd much rather have a seatpost that was one, long enough for the design of the bike, and two, made out of something that would bend or give some warning before a failure. Carbon fiber tends to explode when it fails, having that much seat post sticking out of the bike putts way too much stress on it to use CF in my opinion even if the post was long enough (which it's not). The shock however has nothing to do with the rush, they use that same shock on half the bikes out there today, just unlucky, they'll warranty it and everything should be fine.

What utter bollocks!

Rush Geometry Chart
    (in/cm)
    Small Medium Large XLarge Pet Fem Sm Fem Md

HTT Length 22.6/57.5 24.6/62.5 24.6/62.5 25.6/65.0 22.6/57.5 22.6/57.5 23.1/58.7
    STL 15.9/40.5 16.9/43.0 18.9/48.0 19.7/50.0 15.9/40.5 15.9/40.5 16.3/41.5

Prophet, Prophet 4-Cross Geometry Chart*
    Petite Small Medium Large X Large
    Seat Tube Length (in/cm) 15.9/40.5 15.9/40.5 16.9/43.0 18.9/48.0 20.9/53.0
    Seat Tube Angle (deg) 73.5 [75.0] 73.5 [75.0] 73.5 [75.0] 73.5 [75.0] 73.5 [75.0]

Only the Xlarge deviates from the Rush STL where the rush is shorter.

Anyone buying a bike and has not sized themselves properly on the bike Before leaving the shop is really at fault here.
    If the seat pin is too short for your long legs then surely the onus is on the buyer to insist on an exchange of seatpin before eaving the shop.

i really cannot see your point

Hup, Hup
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Anyone buying a bike and has not sized themselves properly on the bike Before leaving the shop is really at fault here.
    I think that this pretty much sums it all up right here. Take care of sizing issues before you even fork out the coin.
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Scalpel Team
    '07 Cannondale SystemSix Team

mtbr member
    The Rush 1000 I ordered last month is on a truck moving towards me right now.
    I should have mine by next week.
    Perhaps I will see first hand the "parts" issue that is mentioned here.
    rideyourbicycle.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have a Rush X Large. The Seat Tube Length is 19.7 inch / 50.0 cm. This length is 1.2 inch / 3.0 cm less than Prophet XL and 2.3 inch - 5.9 cm less than Scalpel XL (very different geometry). In all the smaller sizes, Rush and Prophet have exactly the same Seat Tube Length!
    I'm 193,0 cm and I must use a 40,0 cm seat post Easton EA70! I did the change in the bike shop with no one euro...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

XL-measure

Excuse me cstdvd70e02, but would you mind measuring the distance between the seatpost and the handlebar and - sorry to get personal - your armlengt and leglength? I am curious as I have a crush on the rush but no dealer closeby, but you and I might have same build = I could decide on the size from your info. Hope you will help me out here.
    Thanks

PS distance i request is not what Cannondale post on the net - toptubelength as it ends at the, well, front of the toptube, but rather the complete distance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamlet
    Excuse me cstdvd70e02, but would you mind measuring the distance between the seatpost and the handlebar and - sorry to get personal - your armlengt and leglength? I am curious as I have a crush on the rush but no dealer closeby, but you and I might have same build = I could decide on the size from your info. Hope you will help me out here.
    Thanks

PS distance i request is not what Cannondale post on the net - toptubelength as it ends at the, well, front of the toptube, but rather the complete distance.
    Ok, sorry for my english... I'm from Italy. My inseam is 94,0 cm (without shoes) and my arm length (from the breast link to the wrist) is 60,0 cm. I use a seat post Easton EA70 (seat at 25 cm) and a stem 5°/12 cm. In the Rush frame X Large ...there are 58,5 cm between the top end of the head tube and the top end of the seat tube. The length with the tubes is 67 cm.
    |x|<----->|x | 58,5 cm
    |<----------->| 67,0 cm
    The Horizontal TT Length post on the net (middle to middle = 65 cm) is correct.
    Hope I was exhaustive. Bye
    Last edited by cstdvd70e02; 10-27-2005 at 02:32 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0