Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Rush problem, strange noise when pedaling, please help

My Rush makes strange noises when I pedal hrader (if I don't pedal hard, it is OK). I thought it was bb, so I got an XT holloowtech crankset (always wanted to get rid of that FSA gamma drive that came with my Rush 5). Now the strange noise contunues (no impruvement, but now I got a great crankset). I have took rear swingarm off, put a lot of grease everywhere, and have taken apart and lube rear hub. No improvement
    I have tried to find anything on this forum, but nothing I came across helped.
    To describe better the problem: When I step on the pedal really hard it makes that "clicking" noise a few times in a row (like 3-4 times every half revolution). Interesting (not really), is that, when I put presure off(if the bike in still and I just step hard on pedal, and then go off) it makes that same noise again.
    What could that be? Could it be the rear casette (have taken it off, greased it and put it back on)..
    I am thinking of getting a spare bike (can't live without at least 1 bike that is working), or maybe I should just go to the bike shop and have it fixed (but I have to wait for like a week because they have a lot of work (or are lazy)

LA CHÈVRE
    Clean and regrease the seatpost (don't grease if it's carbon), seat collar, it may also be the saddle, the pedals (do you have other pedals just to try?)... it can be so many things, it's always hard to diagnose a clicking sound.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Also check to make sure your shock is lubed. My Rush was making a creaking sound whenever pressure was aplied to the pedals. A whipe of the shock with a clean cloth and a few drops of light oil around the seal took care of eveything. Good luck.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

it could be the swing arm if it is the first version !

check out the technical note on noise with a Rush on the cannondale site ! it will tell you what serial number of swingarms could have such noise and how to test your swing arm in a workbench (in such a case cdale will swap the swing arm for the newer version)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The seatpost is the most common source. Next is the cable guides. Make sure you clean all of the cable guides. They get dirt and sand in there and creak while you pedal the bike. These are the two places that cause the most noise on my Rush, but are easy to take care of.

mtbr member
    Try riding the bike out of the saddle and see if the noise disappears or not to eliminate the seat & seatpost. If the noise goes away then it is probably the saddle or post.

Dan's point about trying different pedals is a good idea too. Also check the lefty bolts are tight assuming you have a lefty.

I get creaks from time to time on my Prophet and it can takes ages to find the problem - really annoying.
    [SIZE="3"]Idlefrog[/SIZE]

2008 Trek Fuel EX8
    2006 Orange P7 Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

same problem

i havent been riding in 4 or 5 years. Just bought a rush in May. 2 ride went over the bars...sweet... then im riding right after and the bike starts making a noise like you are describing. I diagnosed the problem to be the chain "slapping" agains the front D. every 4-6 turns of the crank. I have been ignoring it ever since. I dont know if this helps, but ive heard it too, but only when i have nothing else to worry about. so i disregard.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I went to my friend bike shop and we have dissasembel the rear part of the bike, nad the BB and the rear cassette.. and nothing helped. When we put the bike tgether we have lubed it with some teflon stuff (don't remember wich). The noise was still there.
    When I took the bike for a ride the next day there wasn't any nose. So I went for a ride (70 km and about 1200 meters of ascent), and the day after another 40 km and bike is stil OK. Don't know what was the reason for the noise, I am just glad it went away (and hope it doesnt come back)

the Jerc

Bonking ... not feelin' well anche io

I had the same problem. I went away when I changed out the wheelset, but now it's back. I can't help but believe that is has something to do with the rear wheel. I'm changing out the QR and messing with it tonight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    check the cable holding guide thingy's, whenever my suspension compressed it creaked...couple drops of oil down the cable thru guide cleared the creak.

mtbr member
    This is going to sound strange... When you've tried everything and your creak won't go away. Take off you rear der hanger put some grease between the hanger and the frame, tighten it back down and wipe off any extra grease. Also, I find when my crank brothers cleats wear out they begin to make noise.

mtbr member
    Check the torque on the drive side outboard bearing, and the torque of the screw that goes through the front derailleur mounting plate into the seat tube. It eliminated the noise on my Prophet. In my case, I believe the noise was being caused by the deraillieur mounting plate being able to move against the bottom bracket, or the seat tube, causing the noise when under load.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Does it make the noise on all the chainrings?

Are you sure you bought the right length bb?

Does it only make the noise when you are riding it, and not in the repair stand?

Take a look at your suspension pivot point.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Same problem

MltK,
    I was wondering what specifically did you do to eliminate the creaking. I think I am having the same problem. I am running a shimano external bottom bracket and it is brand new. I am wondering if the the mounting for the front derailer could be causing the problem???? Any suggestions would be great!
    Trix

old school

Could be.....

your frame assembly flexing causing the chain to rub the front derailleur.
    [SIZE="2"]If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Clean and regrease the seatpost (don't grease if it's carbon), seat collar, it may also be the saddle, the pedals (do you have other pedals just to try?)... it can be so many things, it's always hard to diagnose a clicking sound.

I encountered this problem with my Prophet. The post was greased, the collar wasn't set tight enough, therefore gradually dropping. I swapped out the saddle as well.

It's hard to imagine a crank issue, a strange noise should also encounter some resistance if that is the case...

the Jerc
    Here's what I did:
    I pulled apart the crankset, cleaned and greased all the chainrings--still made the noise.
    Disassembled the rear triangle, greased and retorqued everything--still made the noise.
    It wasn't until I tightened up the front derailluer that it acutally stopped. It makes the noise once in a while during races where the course is wet and muddy. Good luck and keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I took the e-type front derailler off over the weekend and did a ride and their was still creaking coming from the bottom bracket area. I am lost for ideas??
    Trix

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

I had the same problem on my Kona. Used to freak me out.
    Just tighten the pedals. HARD.

That should fix it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Jura2004..

one week ago...my Cannondale dealer change my swing harm ( rush 5 2007 ) for the EXACT description of your problem....same as your problem...( cannondale know ).... Cannondale upgrade a small X in the middle of the swing harm to made more stiffness.....in 2008. Since the swap was made I ride my bike ...5 rides and never heard the sound again.....

mtbr member
    May 2006

Good job!

Nice to hear that You don't dane the problems anymore. My problems were solved when a friend of mine (that works in a bike shop) lubed all the parts with some teflon stuff. That day the noise was still there. But the next day the bike worked perfectly.. and still does.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Be sure..

Jura2004...

When I hear the sound you describe so perfectly...in your first post I realize that I'm not alone...My dealer and I lube all the place where the noise could be hear from.... but without a good result....I bring the PDF I found on the NET and they did the swing harm test. My swing harm did the noise....but wasn't on the Cannondale list for the serial number ???
    Be sure...when your lube was gone after a while your bike didn't start again the stange noise....anyway you know how to call.....

Happy trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    hey guys... im having the same problem with my carbon rush, as it was described in the first post. its driving me crazy. this is what I don't so far....

change BB
    change crankset
    change pedals
    change wheels
    change skewers
    change chain
    lubed the bearing on the rear swinarm
    lube those 4 scres located in the rear swimarm...
    lubed those cable housing ends
    I have not idea where else to check.... I think when I get home I will take the bike apart and every single item of the bike and relube everything.

any ideas....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hi I was the one that started this thread. As I have already described, I have solved my problems when I have dissasembled rear end (swingarm and the shock, and lubed everythibg with some silicone stuff (in spray). They use this teflone spray to lube everything that moves in a friends LBS. The noise was still there that day, but the next day there wasn't any noise. And the Rush is still working after nine month without any problems since.
    But before doing that I dissasembled the rear end and grease it with some grease and it did not help at all?! (maybe spray goes to places that grease can't)?

Oh, yeah, and now I have one mayor problem: I am thinking about getting the Rize..

mtbr member
    May 2007
    For what it's worth, i had the same problem too with a Prophet SL.

LBS confirmed that it had the same swingarm code as the defective ones in the tech-note. Cannondale duly replaced the swingarm for me, but unfortunately with an equally defective one (with the same barcode).

That has now developed the dreaded noise and is in the process of being changed again - hopefully for one with a different barcode that doesn't carry the problem.

4 changes of the swingarm (one was for a paint problem) in the space of one year is not ideal!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast