mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Rush with more front travel

I have owned my Cdale Rush for about two years now. During my last Lefty service, they accidentally put a loaner Prophet fork (Lefty Max) on the front instead of the stock. The shop was busy, and I could not spare to be without my Rush for another day, so I rode with it until my Lefty was back from Cdale. Although the geometry of the bike was changed, given the aggressive trails I ride, I actually liked the extra cush and new heightened bottom bracket. The 140mm was extreme for my Rush though. What are my options for increasing the front travel or utilizing another fork with less travel than the 140mm lefty Max. I read a few posts that suggest I could use a Fox F120. Of course a Lefty would be optimal- best fork I have ever ridden (although serviced 4x).
    I am sure I will get some replies to buy a Prophet, but that is not an option right now. Thanks!

LA CHÈVRE
    There are 130mm and 120mm Lefties. The 120mm are hard to find since they were Lefty Max 120 only speced on Prophet SLs in europe. The 130mm were older generation Lefty Max but there will be new 130mm Lefties soon, with Fox internals...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Ridin' dirty!
    I believe the european Lefty Max SL is identical with the US Version. They just use a spacer inside the cartridge between the negative spring and the actual "oilchamber" cap to reduce the travel to 120mm.....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

LA CHÈVRE
    I thought they were shorter too...

Ridin' dirty!
    That's what they do with that spacer... I don't mean a spacer that reduces the travel like you do on a 29er mod which is only like a stop to keep the wheel from hitting the bottom of the steerer tube...when you install a spacer inside the damping unit, on top of the negative spring it's like the fork is being compressed thus resulting in less travel and reduced axle to crown height.
    At least that's what I was told.... maybe one of our European friends here in the forum who happen to have a Lefty Max SL can check for us next time they overhaul their fork
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    well, if you decide the lefty isn't gonna work for you, I can attest to the fact that the F120 feels great on a rush. if you're curious go to a cannondale dealer and test out a 2008 Rush 3z or Rush 5. beautiful ride.

mtbr member
    Throw a TALAS on there and you can have 140, 120 & 100.

Are you talking to me?

How heavy are you?

I have been thinking about getting a longer travel Lefty for my Gemini. It came stock with the first gen Lefty Max 130, but it has a stiff (210+) spring in it currently.

I have been considering selling it, but dont know the current value.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

thanks for advice

Appreciate all of the replies.
    I will have to test out the Rush 3z to see how the F120 would feel. Will 10mm of travel make a difference (less than half of an inch.)? Would the Fox 120 increase the bottom bracket height? I noticed the Rush Carbon 3z has the fox 120 and the Rush carbon 3 has the 110 lefty. Is there a difference in the BB height between the two models?

mad aussie
    In the MBR UK review of the Rush 3Z they state that compared with the Lefty 110 the Fox 120 does raise the front end (Lefty has same A-C as Fox F100), slackens the head angle by 1 degree and raises the bottom bracket by about 1/4 inch or so in height. It really depends on what and where you ride that would determine if that would be an improvement. If you liked the Lefty Max on the bike I would say chances are you would really like the Fox 120.

Kevin

mtbr member
    I've read two reviews of the Rush with a 120 Fox (from MBA and MBR UK). MBA said that it gave he Rush a different feel that would appeal to riders who might not be interested in the Rush otherwise (I suppose that means more of an "AM" feel). MBR UK said it actually changed the HA to 67.5. Not a bad thing apparently, because they liked it enough that it earned fist place in their 120mm bike shootout. It came in ahead of the Trance X1, Marin Mount Vision, and Trek EX 9. Pretty good company if you ask me.

mtbr member
    The MBA article said the 120 fork made leaning forward more of a necessity on the climbs, and the no sag/ no rider bb height was 13.0". Also, less tight woods steering than the lefty.
    Again, MBA though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    With the F120RL.. BB height is about exactly 13" to the center of the BB. It rides nice, no issues with climbing or "tight woods steering" in my opinion.. and I'm coming from a cannondale hardtail with 70mm up front to this bike.

mtbr member
    If it steers and climbs like a hardtail with 70mm thats about exactly what Im looking for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    There are 130mm and 120mm Lefties. The 120mm are hard to find since they were Lefty Max 120 only speced on Prophet SLs in europe. The 130mm were older generation Lefty Max but there will be new 130mm Lefties soon, with Fox internals...
    Dan, do you know if those fox internals will fit in the lefty max that came on the prophets?

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104
    Dan, do you know if those fox internals will fit in the lefty max that came on the prophets?
    No idea for now...