mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Rush and looking to upgrade my suspension

I've got the radium shock and rockshox forks and they're junk for the most part. Ive been looking at the 32 Talas fox forks from 110-140mm of travel and I want to get a fox shock with RLC. What do you guys recommend and are the Talas forks any good? Also when buying this stuff what are the specifics for fitment because I have no idea what will work like head tube length and QR (is that the axle diameter)? I know I'm new at this stuff and its confusing trying to find something that will work from ebay lol. I know the shock length is 7.5 and 2 I think ha. I would measure it all but I just dont want to take everything apart just yet. I want some beefy suspension too cause I'm getting into some good downhill stuff.
    Thanks

Ridin' dirty!
    Every bike is designed for specific purposes....if you want to get into "some downhill stuff" you bought the wrong bike. You can't just slap a fork with more travel on and go downhilling as a longer fork will put different stress on your frame in areas which are weaker because it wasn't designed for it...you might just snap off your headtube....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    well I wasn't planning on getting fox 40s or anything like that just some nicer forks and a shock that both have lock out and are pretty stiff compared to what I got. And i doubt with a 100-140mm difference that it is going to put that much more stress on the bike. if it ends up cracking Ill just weld it all back together anyways or if its that bad ill never buy a cannondale again cause they would be junk...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Bought a new Fox RPL on ebay so I'm covered on the shock. Just stuck on the head tube size for the bike, is it 1.5 standard or does it have a taper? Also if you guys were to get a set of fox forks what would you get exactly?

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by air50 View Post
    well I wasn't planning on getting fox 40s or anything like that just some nicer forks and a shock that both have lock out and are pretty stiff compared to what I got. And i doubt with a 100-140mm difference that it is going to put that much more stress on the bike. if it ends up cracking Ill just weld it all back together anyways or if its that bad ill never buy a cannondale again cause they would be junk...

Well, I think you just have an ignorant attitude...."If it breaks cannondale is junk?" Read and understand the bikes manual where it explains everything including that the maximum axle to crown length should not be exceeded.
    Would you buy a Porsche Boxster to go off roading with it? And then when it breaks say Porsche sucks? Didn't think so.
    The Rush is designed as a Marathon bike, with jumps and drops not exceeding maybe 2'.
    If you want more travel I believe 130mm lefty with a bunch of sag might work, or a 120 traditional fork but 140 is a no go.
    At the end of the day it's your bike, but if you break it because you effed it up don't come crying here talking smack as you have been warned.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ha little honda 50s aren't meant to have bigger suspension and motor either but that didnt stop me from tricking mine out. I know there is a "certain" max size but I don't care, by the time I get done with this bike itll be 4 years from now and ill want something more DH-able. Things are engineered to take twice as much as they usually say anyways, but im not planning on jumping off any cliffs or anything. If you think I'm trying to argue with you and say your wrong, thats not what I mean, I know your right cause I've looked at the specs on cannondale's website so im sorry if you thought that, and didn't mean to say literally that cdale's are junk my dads got three of their motorcycles sitting in his garage that are state of the art for 2002.
    Now I've just decided to take this darn thing apart because I cant find out what specific Fox fork I can buy to fit my bike. It looks like the steering tube is 1-1/8 standard and ruffly 7in long. So the Talas 32 RLC is looking like a prime candidate with two settings of 110 and 140. So I can mostly run 110 with the opportunity to run 140. Someone correct me if im wrong on any of these measurements please and thank you?!?!
    Heres a pic of my 1982 z50r that was not meant to have bigger suspension and its for a 5-7 year old...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rush and looking to upgrade my suspension-z50r-1.jpg  

Rush and looking to upgrade my suspension-z50r-2.jpg  

Rush and looking to upgrade my suspension-z50r-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well apparently its impossible to find the forks with dropout 9mm axle so I think I'm going to go with some 120's unless I get lucky on ebay...
    Is there any other *****in forks besides fox with 9mm axle options worth the money?

EDIT Actually I found some hehe

mtbr member
    looks like we have a trend...buy short travel and make it long

Just messing with you. I was pondering the same thing with my old 120mm jekyll but i found a prophet instead. I say go for it, but I agree that you can't blame cannondale when something breaks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    the ones I found can be adjusted from 100-120-140 so its like buying all three different forks in one ha. I totally understand you guys with the fact that long travel is probably not a good thing for the bike but ill rarely use the 140 anyway its just cool to have the option.

Ill get some pics when its all said and done so you guys can see!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Got my RPL shock, talas 100-120-140's are on the way, says they will be here by next friday. Pretty stoked on getting them. Now I'm thinking of getting some tires, what is too big for the bike, I want to get some thicker tires?
    This is starting to turn into a build thread haha....
    Will get pics up later of it all together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rush and looking to upgrade my suspension-foxforks.jpg  

Rush and looking to upgrade my suspension-foxshock.jpg  

Rush and looking to upgrade my suspension-imag0157.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    got the forks today! pretty happy with them so far ha
    heres some pics as promised.. its sitting at the 140 setting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rush and looking to upgrade my suspension-mtbupdate.jpg