mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Is this Rush a good all around Trail Bike??

Hi, I ride a Scalpel and I've been considering a Rush for a while now because I've been wanting a little more travel.. They advertise it as a Marathon bike comfortable for long rides, but most of my rides are just short 1.5-3 hour rides. Just trying to get an idea if it is a good around bike for various trail conditions and just some general feedback on the ride.

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ssc280
    Hi, I ride a Scalpel and I've been considering a Rush for a while now because I've been wanting a little more travel.. They advertise it as a Marathon bike comfortable for long rides, but most of my rides are just short 1.5-3 hour rides. Just trying to get an idea if it is a good around bike for various trail conditions and just some general feedback on the ride.
    Last year I bought a Cannondale Rush 1000. I was coming off a Giant NRS which was a GREAT XC bike, but I was in the same boat you are, wanting more travel. Here's my impressions:

I climbed just as good on the Rush as on the NRS, it climbs AMAZING!
    On descents, the Rush is much more capable than the NRS (or any other XC bike I'm sure). Basically, I use the Rush for what you plan to use it for. 1.5-3 hour rides and races (although I do plan to do the 24 hours solo in a couple years )

I absolutely LOVE my Rush, I wouldn't trade it for anything! It still feels nimble and quick. It accelerates like a cheetah, and is more than capable when things get technical.

I say, if you've got the money, it's a worthy buy
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

yes it is

After a super V 2000 and a scalpel 2000 (previous model), i recently bought a rush carbon 2 (model 2007). As far as i'm concerned a rush is stiffer compared to previous scalpel, better suited for XC. It is the best mountain bike i have ever ridden and forms an ideal compromise between stiffness, comfort and efficiency.

Fox rear shock with propedal, open and closed functions very well, for descents just put the shock on open position and you have a lot of travel, even the seating position changes to a more downhill position. On tarmac and offroad i use propedal which is very efficient

Reading what you are looking for, i think the rush (carbon) will fulfill and surpass all your requirements

Go for it

greetings

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have a '06 Rush 1000. In my opnion, it is a great all around bike. I have jumped it 3ft in the air on downhills, it climbs great with the propedal, and the lefty has been nothing short of spectacular for me. I have used it in 12 XC races and 1 50 mile endurance race and it has never let me down. Be aware that I was a 230lb rider most of it's life.

I considered getting a new scalpel or even a new 29'er this fall, but I cannot let myself get rid of this bike. So I'm just trading my frame for a '08 carbon frame and retaining the rest of parts!

Bryan

Huge Tracts of Land
    I can a carbon Rush 1, you won't get me on any other bike

Haven MTB Park
    1997 F2000
    2004 F4000 SL
    2007 Carbon Rush 1 Team

Huge Tracts of Land
    I have a carbon Rush 1, you won't get me on any other bike

Haven MTB Park
    1997 F2000
    2004 F4000 SL
    2007 Carbon Rush 1 Team

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

race xc?

Some time back, I started doing some initial mtb research as I was looking to try it out (I race road, mostly.) I had asked the 'scalpel or rush' for xc racing (typical) question and mostly got back.. 'you want a scalpel.'
    It's interesting to read info from others who feel differently.
    Now that the '08 scalpels are a bit closer to the rush models in terms of travel (a bit), what do y'all think?
    Yeah, looking for something that would serve well for xc races but could handle most conditions (nope.. no chance for two bikes here.)
    thx.

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    I think it's more than travel..the geometry for the Scapel is different.
    The Rush will be comfier in the longer races, and I'm guessing more capable on downhills. This is all speculation because I haven't ridden the new Scalpel.

Even though the Scalpel has more travel, it is still a hardcore XC race bike at heart. The Rush can be used as an XC racer too..that's what I do.

I do know this; the Rush would handle the unexpected 'big-hit' a lot better than the Scalpel.

It'll be interesting to hear some of the more seasoned posters on here that know more about this.
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

Cannondale Snob
    My '06 Rush 1000 is also my do-it-all bike. I do drops up to 3' with it, dirt jumps, xc and endurance racing, and now that my skill is getting to the right level, I'm starting to ride some of the hardest trails in my area. At the end of the day, I very rarely see that the rear shock has used all of it's travel, and of course I have no way to see how much travel the Lefty has used but I don't remember ever feeling it bottom out.

I'd love to be able to lock out the rear shock as well as the front- that would be the coup' de grace on a wonderful bike. However, it does climb amazingly well just the same.

If you plan to do more than XC style riding, yet less than DH/FR, the Rush is your bike
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    My rides are the same as yours. 1.5-3 hours 90% of the time. The Rush does most everything well. The long TT will make drop-offs and wheelies harder to manage, but its worth the better climbing position. Riding in general seems so much easier on the Rush as opposed to my old hardtail. I clear sections on the Rush which I wouldnt even try on the old bike, especially on downhills.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Even tho the rush is considered a "marathon racer" , I've noticed that I'm riding faster at the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th hours of my ride and just feeling better. I'm not a well conditioned rider and I don't do any training, but the rush helps me keep up with those who do (sometimes). If you aren't planning on doing a lot of racing, I think the rush would better suit your needs. BUT.....the new Scalpel does look like a bad A$$ bike.