bog
    mtbr member

Rush frameset or wait who knows how long for a SC Superlight?

Here's the deal, I've been waiting 2 months for an XL Superlight frameset from Santa Cruz. I've gotten nothing but the run around since they missed the "guaranteed" delivery date of early May and I'm really tired of the B.S. that SC dishes out with seemingly no concern for truth. I've always been a Cannondale fan, having owned 3 in the past, so I went to my LBS to chat with him about a Rush frameset (I have some very light components and an '07 Fox F100RL fork). Turns out I can get a better deal on the Rush frameset and may not have to wait too long.

Has anyone here ridden these 2 bikes? I'm wondering how they compare in stiffness because I'm a Clydesdale @ 240 lbs and hate flexible frames. I selling my Giant Anthem for this reason, the rear flexes so much it skips gears when I stand and hammer. How does the Rush handle this type of riding???

Thanks!
    Bog

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I haven't ridden the new style superlight but the Rush should be stiffer overall. I test rode an older superlight and could feel it had more flex than the Cdale. Given your weight I'd say get the Rush, it has a little more travel and a more relaxed geometry.

bog
    mtbr member
    I was leaning toward the Cannondale until I found out how short the seat tube is for the XL!!!! What was Cannondale thinking putting such a short seat tube with such a small dia seat post? I've bent too many 27.2 posts in my day and have been really happy with all of my bikes with 30.9 posts (Santa Cruz, Giant, Specialized and Banshee). I've never bent a 30.9 post so I'm sticking with Santa Cruz due to the longer seat tube and bigger dia post. I'm quite disappointed with this oversight by Cannondale, they usually have such nice long seat tubes on their bigger frames.

mtbr member
    Although the travel of the two bikes are similar, I believe that the SC has a 71 degree head tube angle and the Rush has a 69 degree head tube angle. This will give the Santa Cruz quicker, yet twitchier (word?), handling than the Rush.

The SC superlight is an XC/racer and the Rush is a marathon/trail bike.

I thought I also read somewhere that the superlight had a weight restriction (230? 240?). Though I also know that they made some modifications for this year's model, and that might not be the case anymore.

Both are great bikes, so you shouldn't go wrong. Though as Tom Petty once sang, "waiting is the hardest part." That should be Santa Cruz's theme song.

MBAficionado
    May 2007
    Was in the same situation...

Went for Rush 6 as it's rear triangle is stiffer & laterally less movement. With it's 69d head angle, more stable.

i'm having fun

mtbr member
    No offense buddy, but if you hate flexible frames you might want to look at a different frame. At 240 lbs a Prophet or a Heckler might be a better fit.
    I'm Confused . . . Wait a Minute, No I'm Not . . .

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

fantastic rush (but maybe not for XL people)

Quote Originally Posted by bog
    I was leaning toward the Cannondale until I found out how short the seat tube is for the XL!!!! What was Cannondale thinking putting such a short seat tube with such a small dia seat post?...
    Although the rush has a fantastic suspension-design and geometry (in german called "Fahrwerk") with low head angle and well designed swingarm pivot and it climbs really better than most others, there are two flaws, that you just mentioned:

1. The rear is flexy. No doubt if you are just under 170 lbs or not able to push more than 300 W. In your case you would come out of the frying pan into the fire.

2. That short seat tube on a XL frame is annoying. I had to buy a 400 mm seatpost on my own, because CD seatpost is only 350 mm. Two days ago I installed the second seatpost already.
    Last edited by redbyte; 05-28-2007 at 10:57 AM.
    --
    happy trails
    redbyte

mnt bike laws of physics

I agree with RiderinTraining

At 240 lbs. you are deffinitely looking at the wrong frames. Without a doubt, the superlight is known to be a flexy frame. The prophet frame is only 0.2 lbs. more than the Rush frame and it is stiffer. This was told to me by a Cannondale employee who has rode both of them. There are stiffer frames out there, but I would go with the Prophet in your case. If my opinion matters.....