Thread: Rush or epic

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Rush or epic

Hi,
    I'm in the marked for a new bike. I was looking at either the cannondale carbon rush 3 or the specialized epic fsr expert. I like the idea of the epic rear shock, but think the cannondale lefty fork also is cool. How are the two bike compared? Is the cannondale as good at climbing steep hills standing in the pedals as the epic?

Hope anyone can help, Thanks!

LA CHÈVRE
    Have a test ride on both if you can. The Lefty is a superior fork for sure IMO and the Brain rear shock is definitely not for everyone, I don't like ghosts playing with my shock's lockout. But be sure of something, the Rush climbs very well, the position of the swingarm's pivot provides superb uphill traction. But where can you get a Carbon Rush 3?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hi I have a dealer near me, where they have a Cannondale Rush Carbon SI 3. I live in Denmark so maybe it's different names here, I'm not sure. Any way, thanks for your answer, I think I'm hooked for the cannondale!!

LA CHÈVRE
    You have good tastes!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    It's not that easy.

What is your main purpose with the bike?

If you like to race CC or Marathon: get the Epic or a Scalpel, both a really fast
    If you climb standing (pushing) in the pedals: nothing better than the Epic
    If you're a weekend warrior: get the rush
    One thing for sure: the rush is the best climbing bike, I've ever ridden, much better than the Epic, when you have to climb really steep hills with rocks or roots.
    --
    happy trails
    redbyte

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hi,
    I,ll be using it most for forrest track with roots and small, some rather steep, hills up and down. And then for the mountain a week or two in the summer. I will not be using it for races, it's most for fun and to do something other than road biking.

Thanks for the reply by the way

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    OK, get the rush. You will love it.
    --
    happy trails
    redbyte

singlespeed'n
    Jul 2006
    I just got done test riding both of these bikes and I have to say I like the Rush's suspension better.

The Epic's suspension was stiff and efficient but did not feel as plush as I would have liked. With the Rush, it still felt efficient but was more smooth, not as jarring as the Epic.

The best thing to do is to is to test ride both. Be sure to have your LBS setup the suspension properly for you. Nothing worse that test a bike that is set up for someone else.