mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Rush creaking HELP!

Folks, I have a 2008 Rush 5z with the fox fork. I can't get a creak from the head tube area to stop. I've replaced the followin.

Bar
    Stem
    Headset bearings and seals

Am I missing something. ? The creak or click comes from the head tube the more pressure on the bars the louder. I'm Sure it's coming from that area and not something else on the bike. I'm actually ready to sell the bike, it's that anoying

HELP

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Mate I hear your pain .. no one likes a bike that creaks .. It can be hard to locate the source of noises in bikes .. have you checked the front wheel spoke tension.. do you have lock on grips .. I had a set of lock-ons a while back that creaked a bit .. My RUSH developed a bad creak which turned out ot be a loose pivot nut. Perhaps try a different front wheel .. borrow one from the LBS if you don;t have another set.. I'm sure they'd be more than willing to help out.. If you fork is in working order then I wouldn;t think you'd get a creaking noise from it.

Bretski.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Grips eh?

The lock on grips are the only thing I haven't tried. I'll try that tomorrow. I was thinking maybe the head tube is bad and the headset cups don't fit quite right?

got the dhr...
    Try greasing the stem/handlebar meeting place. Also, take apart your headset, and grease the hell out of it. You could also try a new headset, I have the same headset that's stock on the 5z, and mine broke, so now it creaks quite a lot, but it did creak before I broke it to, so try that (preferably get a sealed cartridge bearing headset-they will most likely creak the least. And just grease whatever you can. Also-check to make sure your front quick release is tight. If this dosen't work, try lubing where all the cable housings meet the frame (the cable bosses) I've found that to help a lot. Also make sure you give the bike a good wash before you try any of this.

mtbr member
    Try lubing the seat post, I know you said head tube but my 5z did the same. It sounds like it's coming from the head tube but it was the seat post.