mtbr member
    May 2006

Rush Carbon 3 - Why?

I've been looking into buying a Rush and I've heard that for 2008 Cannondale will offer a Rush Carbon 3 in the U.S. with basically the same specs as the aluminum Rush 3 but the Carbon front triangle and that it will cost about $1000 more. Here is my question that I don't understand about this: For $1000 wouldn't it make more sense to save over 1 pound by replacing the Mavic Crossland wheels with Mavic Crossmax SLR wheels rather than save only half a pound upgrading to a Carbon frame? I've heard some people say that the carbon frame feels more responsive, but I've tested the aluminum frame and was very happy with it. It seems like for the money it makes more sense to save a pound of rotating weight vs. a half pound of non-rotating weight. Would you agree or disagree? (Obviously the ultimate for weight would be to have the best wheels on the carbon frame, but if you were trying to keep the cost around $3500 what would make the most sense?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ70
    I've been looking into buying a Rush and I've heard that for 2008 Cannondale will offer a Rush Carbon 3 in the U.S. with basically the same specs as the aluminum Rush 3 but the Carbon front triangle and that it will cost about $1000 more. Here is my question that I don't understand about this: For $1000 wouldn't it make more sense to save over 1 pound by replacing the Mavic Crossland wheels with Mavic Crossmax SLR wheels rather than save only half a pound upgrading to a Carbon frame? I've heard some people say that the carbon frame feels more responsive, but I've tested the aluminum frame and was very happy with it. It seems like for the money it makes more sense to save a pound of rotating weight vs. a half pound of non-rotating weight. Would you agree or disagree? (Obviously the ultimate for weight would be to have the best wheels on the carbon frame, but if you were trying to keep the cost around $3500 what would make the most sense?)
    I totally agree with you. Everyone does say that the Carbon frame has its advantages but for my purposes I don't feel like dishing out the extra cash. Instead I bought a Rush 3 2007 and up speced it and I couldn't be happier. I am going to put the Crossmax SL and probably higher end crank in the future. I said it before and I'll say it again, Cannondale should produce a higher spec'd alloy version of the Rush for people who don't want to pay the extra $1000 for a carbon front triangle.
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

mad aussie
    Sure it would make more sense, but this is about selling bikes and carbon is the hot commodity in cycling now regardless of if it makes sense. I think the Rush Carbon 3 would make sense if someone wants a carbon frame now with the idea of upgrading it later as funds permit.
    Having said that, there is a way that the Carbon rides that the aluminum cant match. I was dubious about the Carbon frame until I actually rode one..........

Kevin

Light, Strong and Long
    Jan 2005
    I would totally pony up the extra cash for the carbon bike.

It feels so much faster than the aluminum version of the bike, and it takes much of the bump and shake out of the trail. Yeah the specs dont line up with the price...

But the ride does.
    Everyones got a little weight weinee in them

mtbr member
    I think it's a nice idea Cannondale had going carbon on the Rush 3. That will certainly add some value, although it's underspec'ed if we compare to Rushes Team, 1 and 2, but you'll be getting the frame, and you can always spec it up as you wish and probably many will do, since the frame worths the upgrade for new wheels and components. But I think that most will just be amazed by the carbon frame and the chance to get it for way much less if they had to go top. But expect to see a more affordable carbon Rush within a year or less, since it's going in major scale production, cost will reasonably go down as well. And carbon seems to be very in vogue right now, so...

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a carbon version of the Prophet very soon. Carbon fiber is a very versatile material, and has been proven to be as much strong. Well, and since Specialized, Scott, Ibis, Trek, GF and some others have already taken the carbon road, I'm just guessing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    itīs more expensive to swith to the carbon frame later, then it is to switch the wheels for new ones.