mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Rush Carbon 1 chain suck in muddy rides

I know this happens usually with mud rides, but this bike is worse than my old bike.
    I live in Costa rica, 6 months are wet and muddy, terrain steep, so lots of granny gear uphills, I have had a Carbon Rush 1 for 4 months with the new XTR.
    It has been very wet and lately I have to quit the ride because chain suck ,It happens more often and worse than on my previous bike a Litespeed Ti with the 05 XT.

Any ideas why is worse on the Rush?

Any ways to avoid it?

Always start the ride with a clean and lubed chain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by motoadve
    I know this happens usually with mud rides, but this bike is worse than my old bike.
    I live in Costa rica, 6 months are wet and muddy, terrain steep, so lots of granny gear uphills, I have had a Carbon Rush 1 for 4 months with the new XTR.
    It has been very wet and lately I have to quit the ride because chain suck ,It happens more often and worse than on my previous bike a Litespeed Ti with the 05 XT.

Any ideas why is worse on the Rush?

Any ways to avoid it?

Always start the ride with a clean and lubed chain.
    Mud tends to amplify chainsuck because it sucks the oil right out of the chain.

Carry a small can of WD-40 with you on muddy rides. Spray your chain liberally as soon as it starts to chainsuck. You might have to do this several times during the ride. It beats having to walk the bike out.