mtbr member

Rush for "all mountain"?

OK, I know the Rush is more XC oriented than it's bro, the Prophet. But the trails I ride 99% of the time probably don't require 5.5" of travel. It would be fun to have all that travel, but I don't think it's necessary. It might even be a detriment. And either bike would be more comfortable, and capable, than my current 3", XC dually. What would you guys do; ride the bike that makes the most sense on the local trails, or ride the bike that is more versatile, even if it's overkill?

mtbr member
    The rush is great for what I might call "light AM". This means no drops larger than 2', or extreme jumps, or anything too agressive.
    A small problem is also the low BB height, which means you should be careful as well.

But it feels more like a 5" bike than a 4" XC racer.

Another problem is the seating position, which is a bit crouched and forward for an AM bike.
    This could easily be solved by a higher lefty stem and taking the seat 1" backwards (Or buying a seat post with a bwd angle).

There are people in this forum that claim they've done 6' drops on a rush, I wouldn't do that, but for AM riding it's a great bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you have a decent shock setup, it should compensate the shortcomings of a long travel bike. It's always nice to have the travel available.
    Seat position is more difficult of course to comensate for. But as is said, a stem and seat pen can make it better.

got the dhr...
    i have a prophet. the local trails are all xc, but i like the extra travel, acctually its only a one in difference in rear travel. im gonna be racing xc, starting this year, on the prophet, but i love a prophet for riding, it gives me more confidence on the trails. the reason i coudlnt go with a rush is because i have a terrible addiction to urban freeriding, and moderate jumps. the rush is just not burly enough for me. i couldnt go with a perp-to heavy, so a prophet it is. i love it. i say, go with the prophet. if you have the dough, the prophet one is really light, i have the prophet two, acctually it weighs the same. my brother used to have a rush. it was cool, but i think its just a xc bike, with a little am twist. the prophet is like an xc bike climbing, then a freeride bike when your gunning it down hill. just go with what your heart desires, or if you cant decide, go test ride them. whatever bike you choose, people will have your back on this forum.

mnt bike laws of physics
    I have both and I love both. Sometimes I wish the Rush was a little more cush(front and Rear) and the Prophet needs a front lockout because its front end is soo cush(at least with TPC damping).

If you can, you may want to wait for the new 130mm bike coming this spring called the Rise or Rize (not sure which). It will fall between the 2 and will have a Fox Lefty(Sweeeeet) with 130mm travel. The choise is air or steel springs depending on the model. Mabey even titanium??? And it will have a lockout

If your trail are tame with not many obstacles (where the low BB will not come into play), the Rush may be the way to go because of its low center of gravity, it can rail the corners and the fun factor will be increased because of the speeds you can maintain.

Not sure what these guys are talking about with the seat tube angle of the Rush. In the XC mode, the Prophet's seattube angle is much steeper and you will def. need a setback post if you gety a Prophet. My Rush has a straight post and it is perfect.