mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Rush 4 - Avid Juicy 7

I have the stock Juicy 7 set up on my Rush. I noticed recently, after an over the bars flight, that the rear brake lever extends forward, beyond the normal position. There is an audible click sound when extending it. The front lever does not do this. Is this normal, if so, is there a reason for this?

Or is it just me breaking something else.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    As far as i am aware this is normal for the Avid Juicy, i also have a 2008 Rush 4 and both my front and rear brake levers do exactly the same thing - so it shouldn't be because you broke something.

mtbr member
    I believe it is an emergency safety function of the Juicy 7's, the idea is that the lever will release instead of bending. Personally don't know how often my levers get smacked backwards though...

your front one should do it too, just push harder
    "The questions are:
    Can you hurry slowly?
    Can you embrace the biomechanical process versus brute muscle?
    Can you calm down and smile no matter the arc you travel?"
    -Matt Chester

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Man my juicy 7's on my 08 rush 4 aren't strong enough to send me over the bars....maybe I need to adjust them or something....any suggestions? I noticed the clicky outy levers too...

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    bleed them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    they dont feel squishy or anything (dont think there is any air in the lines)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by XtoZ
    Man my juicy 7's on my 08 rush 4 aren't strong enough to send me over the bars....maybe I need to adjust them or something....any suggestions? I noticed the clicky outy levers too...

It wasn't the brakes that tossed me over; it was a large rock on a steep descending trail.

I was told that they would get better with use; Iím still waiting for that to happen. The contact adjustment dials don't seem to do anything, not for my set up anyway. LBS told me that additional fluid could be added to increase the feel. I have not yet experimented with that approach.

mtbr member
    Try sanding the pads. This will remove dirt or oil that may be fouling the pads and reducing friction. Slide a piece of 220 grit paper between the disk and the pad and work it back and forth a little bit. My Juicy 7 brakes improved dramatically when I did this. It also helps with squealing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The forward click is an anti failure feature on the 5 and 7 series levers.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XtoZ
    they dont feel squishy or anything (dont think there is any air in the lines)

Bleed them anyway. Mine were exactly the same.