USED2COULD

Rush 2000 Bar Swap

Hi,
    some of you may know, that my 24 Hour Endurance Bike search, terminated when I ordered a Rush 2000.

Now while I wait for it, I want to start thinking about changes I might want to make.
    I currently have a Easton Monkey Lite SL Low Rise bar that weighs in at about 135g I'd like to switch on to my Rush instead of the 190g FSA Aluminum riser.

However my Easton is a 25.4mm bar, vs. 31.8mm. Right now I'm looking at the option of cutsom making a 2000 or 6000 series Aluminum 31.8mm -> 25.4mm shim. This should weigh no more than 20g.

So I would save a little weight and get to use my carbon bar. My question is how come I am having trouble finding such a shim online. I can get one custom made (as noted) by a friend of a friend, who is a machinist. However why isn't this a more widely available option?

If I had a shim I could then run any 31.8mm or 25.4mm bars on my Rush, rather than switching the stem for a lefty 25.4mm stem.

Opinions?

LA CHÈVRE
    There must not be enough demand for such a shim. Most people only get 31.8 stem so they can use the OS bars, not the other way around. The 31.8 bars are a bit stiffer, not the stem.

Another option is exchanging your OS stem for a standard Headshok stem, some people with older Cannondales might be interested in upgrading their bars to 31.8 and might be interested in your stem. Post the length and angle and maybe someone will reply to make a switch with theirs...

Let the dealing begin!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

USED2COULD
    Thanks for the reply Dan.
    I understand the bar is stiffer (rather than the stem).
    Trading stems is a viable option, but I would like a stem that can fit both. So that if I decide to go to a 31.8mm bar (like my wife's Bontrager XXX Lite OS Carbon Riser http://www.bontrager.com/Mountain/Co...ebars/5810.php) I can just switch back to an OS bar without having to buy a new stem or trade my stem again.

But my Easton bar is not too old and cost me over $200CDN, using it on my new Rush with the option to switch back to an OS bar at me leisure appeals to me. I just wonder why it doesn't appeal to others.

LA CHÈVRE
    I don't know many people who switch bars often... and I don't think companies will make the adapter even if you email them you'd buy one. I think your machinist friend is your best bet then.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I don't know many people who switch bars often... and I don't think companies will make the adapter even if you email them you'd buy one. I think your machinist friend is your best bet then.
    Cheers.

Rat Fink
    I just picked up a 31.8 WTB stem on ebay and it came with a shim for 25.4 bars. I don't know if the shim is a factory part or something the seller added on his own but you might try contacting WTB.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmojo
    I just picked up a 31.8 WTB stem on ebay and it came with a shim for 25.4 bars. I don't know if the shim is a factory part or something the seller added on his own but you might try contacting WTB.
    Thanks for the tip - looking here:

http://www.wtb.com/products/components_stems.html

It seems WTB supply a shim to do just what I am looking for with each of their stems.

USED2COULD
    Took 3 weeks to get my butt in gear. But today at lunch I made it to my local Metal Supermarket.
    I picked up a 6" piece of 6061 1.25"(31.8mm) OD, 1.0" (25.4mm) ID.

A 2" length (50.8mm) by my calculations should weigh 12.5g.

I'll post pics once I have finished.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X
    Took 3 weeks to get my butt in gear. But today at lunch I made it to my local Metal Supermarket.
    I picked up a 6" piece of 6061 1.25"(31.8mm) OD, 1.0" (25.4mm) ID.

A 2" length (50.8mm) by my calculations should weigh 12.5g.

I'll post pics once I have finished.
    As promised:

<Insert Quiver>

USED2COULD
    Eeek - dual post
    <Insert Quiver>

Members who have read this thread: 0