Poll: 69 or 67.5

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Running your Prophet in 69 or 67.5??

I thought I'd never like my Prophet in the 67.5d HA setting. Now that I've tried it, I don't think I'll use 69d again.

I ride in the steep, slick, rocky trails of New England. It's nasty out here. The Prophet just floats and rips it up in the 67.5 setting. It's a little twitchy in 69. I thought I wouldn't climb as well in 67.5d and was wrong. I'm climbing better because of the added rear traction I'm getting with the lower BB & slacker ST angle.

The Prophet is the best bike ever made for the East Coast in either setting. Period.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by edge
    I thought I'd never like my Prophet in the 67.5d HA setting. Now that I've tried it, I don't think I'll use 69d again.

I ride in the steep, slick, rocky trails of New England. It's nasty out here. The Prophet just floats and rips it up in the 67.5 setting. It's a little twitchy in 69. I thought I wouldn't climb as well in 67.5d and was wrong. I'm climbing better because of the added rear traction I'm getting with the lower BB & slacker ST angle.

The Prophet is the best bike ever made for the East Coast in either setting. Period.
    Have tried both but not in a major capacity - started off in the XC mode (69) as it came set up but recently just been bouncing about the neighborhood in the FR setting. It definitely feels nicely laid back in this mode and feels more controlled. I have not had a downhill specific bike so love the option to switch on the prophet. I assumed that the climbs would be more sluggish and less response but will wait till I try before concluding.....

can o ale
    been doing quite a bit of drops and jumps lately,the 67.5 works very well not as twitchy in the scary stuff.
    I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone… but they've always worked for me," . Hunter S Thompson

Unit 91
    67.5 all the way baby. I put it in there for some reason, I forget exactly why and I havent taken it out yet. And I climbed a lot of steep hills in that mode, so I wonder what riding up a hill in the 69 will be like now. I will prob be a beast.
    Bikes

a.k.a.-Cranial Disharmony

Edge - I'm in Conn. and I ride it in XC mode mostly. Shuttle runs, I use FR. I agree that the Prophet is hands down the best bike for our gnarly trails (case mtn). I just like the higher bb associated with the XC position. Different strokes.....

Maybe I'll devote a couple trail rides on 67.5. You have to bump up the air in the rear, right?
    "Life sucks, get a fu*king helmet, okay?" - Dennis Leary

shiny side up
    Funny, I had the same thought/question yesterday while out riding... "I think I'll post the question on mtbr about what XC/FR position people ride in and why"

My bike came in the XC setting and I figured I need as much help as possible riding up hills so I left it set there. Have been considering changing it, but quite frankly I like the way it rides so much in the XC mode I'm scared to even check it out. Maybe next ride I'll change half way through and see how she does!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I run mine only in the 67.5 position. I tried the 69 position but I found the handling somewhat twitchy on tight/technical trails. The 67.5 works for me in all situations. Something else I tried with the recommendation of my LBS is running the XC air pressures settings in the front and rear suspensions while running in the 67.5 position. With this combination I feel I get the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ryoninct
    Edge - I'm in Conn. and I ride it in XC mode mostly. Shuttle runs, I use FR. I agree that the Prophet is hands down the best bike for our gnarly trails (case mtn). I just like the higher bb associated with the XC position. Different strokes.....

Maybe I'll devote a couple trail rides on 67.5. You have to bump up the air in the rear, right?
    I bumped the air up a little to keep the sag at 20%. The 13.7 BB is nice for getting over stuff but 13 is still nice and high. The slack HA makes coming down from the top of a big log or rock much more fun because the roll out is guaranteed. The lower center of gravity makes it really rail the berms as well.

Most of the riding I do is on a defunct ski hill with no lifts.. I climb to the top and let it all hang out on the way down.

mtbr member
    I run mine in the XC setting but switched the stem for a shorter/taller one and I'm running the Truvativ Holzfeller riser bars.
    Don't ping my cheese with your bandwidth.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by coalriver-rider
    I run mine in the XC setting but switched the stem for a shorter/taller one and I'm running the Truvativ Holzfeller riser bars.
    What is the shortest length stem you can run on these bikes?

mtbr member
    I have a 090 20 31.8 on mine. I think that's as short as you can go with the cannondale stems.

What is the shortest length stem you can run on these bikes?
    Don't ping my cheese with your bandwidth.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I tend to ride the bike in the XC position on most occasions. The 67.5 is great for aggresive riding, jumping, drops, and other light freeride/downhill duties.

Change the stem to a 90/20 rise with some wider bars and the XC position is way better for most conditions.

The greatest thing about prophet is the adjustability. It only takes one minute to change the setting and add a few psi to the shock. I am finding myself changing the position more and more as I figure out what works best for each riding condition.

mtbr member
    XC position 90 %. I feel it climbs better in this setting and like the clearance. However, I did go w/ the shortest stem available and man did that make a great improvement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbidwell
    XC position 90 %. I feel it climbs better in this setting and like the clearance. However, I did go w/ the shortest stem available and man did that make a great improvement.
    What kind of trails do you ride an which stem length & rise did you get? 90/20?

mtbr member
    What kind of trails do you ride an which stem length & rise did you get? 90/20?
    I believe 90/20 I'd have to check. The bars set just above the lefty cap and do have a noticeable height increase. I ride mostly singletrack packed dirt w/ some steep sometimes rocky and rooty climbing involved. Most of the guys I ride w/ are XC specific so I'm usually pulling up the rear.

Cereal Killer
    I do about 50/50 in each setting. For regular singletrack type riding, I like the 69 because of the faster steering and a little bit more clearance for logs. But as soon as it starts going downhill, nothing can beat the 67.5. Stable as anything. I rode in the 67.5 for a while on everything and liked it, then switched to the 69 and loved it from there. For a 5.5 inch travel bike, it rides like a 4 incher. Very good stuff!

Members who have read this thread: 0