Nor­wegr

Smile Running a Scalpel '12 on 27.5 wheels, which tires and widths?

After a bit of thought and some time spent in the bicycle infested labyrinth I call home I've decided that adding another bike to my collection wouldn't be the wisest thing to do..

So I began looking into some alternate routes to take to 'transform' my rides. My fatbike I can't really do anything radical with, it trucks along where no other bikes can and that's just about it.

My Scalpel '12 however has some unexplored areas, the main one being able to take 650b wheels. I have read through just about every thread and blog google could serve up on the matter, but I haven't found anything in black and white that says what I can and can not use.

The easy part is getting hubs, spokes and rims. If I go with quality items the wheelset should easily stay alive until it's time for me to buy a new frame sometime down the line.

Tire selection on the other hand is where it becomes a little dicey for me. The RaRas and Pacenti Quasimotos I've seen used on Scalpel 650b conversions both seem to be a little too XC for my liking.

I do realise that I have a short travel XC bike, but I tend to use mine for everything, thus I run mine with NN front and rear.

tldr;
    Anyone know if the clearance is there to use NN or similar tire on a 650b Scalpel?

------------------

Partswise I'm looking to either get another set of P321 hubs since I'm already very happy with the set that I have or a set of the new i9 Torch.

Rims would either be Crest , LB Carbon or Enve.

Spokes, I don't know anything about spokes..

Sweater

Running a Scalpel '12 on 27.5 wheels, which tires and widths?

The only thing I can comment on is spokes. I just built up a wheelset. I went with Arch EX hoops on hope hubs. I was concerned with reliability of course but also weight. I ended up going with Wheelsmith DB 2.0/1.7. A little lighter as well as less expensive than the DT 2.0/1.8. They built up pretty easily though they did start to wind up a little bit as I got to the final tension. They just need a little tension touch up after bedding in the first couple rides. Got a few hundred miles on them now and holding solid. I've got them on a Jekyll that I ride fairly hard. I'm 220 and have broken a few frames and countless parts including spokes and wheels.
    Ouch

mtbr member

Re: Running a Scalpel '12 on 27.5 wheels, which tires and widths?

A 2.25 racing ralph doesn't really fit (or at least offers very little clearance) in the rear, so I doubt a nobby Nic would fit. Front won't be a problem.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I ride RocketRon-s 2.10. there is little clearance in the back, but I had no problems so far...
    perhaps NN2.25-front - RR2.10-back combination would work for you.

Nor­wegr
    Thank you for the replies. I used to do NN front and RR rear on my current wheelset and I felt I spun out far too often. But as a placeholder til I can get a proper 650b frame I suppose I could live with that.

Nor­wegr
    Will I have to do anything to the lefty to make this work?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The 650B conversion was the best mod ever on my Scalpel. I went with Rocket Rons 2.1 rears and Racing Ralphs 2.25 front. I will go 2.1 RoRo all the way around just waiting for my Ralphs to wear out.

My biggest concern I had was the climbs (we avg about 3500 ft per ride) and the Scalpel 650b climbs much faster than before.
    It also descends and corners better.

I'm running full XX 2x10 with 42/28 ring along with the 11/36 cog

BTW- Im all XC so it may not be to your liking-
    If you are into fat tires and DH you are in a wrong bike to begin with.

cheers-
    PS- no Lefty mod just be sure and reset your needle bearings for clearance.

Nor­wegr

Went with a NN up front because conditions are very slippery so the extra grip helps.
    RoRo 2.1 at the back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I have been trying some different tyres out. RoRo 2.1 on the rear seems ok. Fitted a Quasi Moto 2.1 on the rear and a little bit more room but slightly heavier tyre.
    The big suprise for me was the Rubena Charybois 2.0. Put these on front and rear and wow are they good tyres. The room on the rear is huge! Have been using them over the past week in our good old british mud country side and plenty of room.
    Here is a pic of teh Rubena on rear Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    2012 Cannondale Scalpel 650b

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm running a Geax Saguaro on the rear of mine, no problem with clearance. I've also been experimenting with a 29" front wheel. I little wander from the front end when the climbing gets really steep, but otherwise I like it.
    Only the curious have something to find.

http://wanderlustandtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com/

Nor­wegr
    Hans Damps will fit the rear, but that's overkill for XC.

mtbr member
    Where do you pick up a pair of these tyres (any websites) ... 650b/27.5 for the Rubena Charybois 2.0 tyres are not even listed on their website?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    But Continental X-king Protection 2.2 will fit the rear?
    For me it`s one of the best tubeless ready tires available but on the heavy side.

Nor­wegr
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Hans Damps will fit the rear, but that's overkill for XC.
    With Hans Dampf:

My bike with RoRo

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Mine with RaRa 2.25 on Mavic Crossmax SLR wheels
    When fully compressed has about 2-3 mm clearance on the front deraileur
    I am wondering about the X-King 2.2 should be better or worse