mtbr member

RST Deuce Shock Adjustments/Info

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered any good videos or articles on maintaining the RST Deuce forks. My lockout adjustments have stopped working at about 3 months of use (1600 miles though) and have been trying to find information on this fork without much luck. I've read of some other people having problems with this fork, and certainly in a perfect world I'd have replaced this immediately (or bought a higher end bike with better components), but I love Cannondale frames since they fit me really well...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have the same fork, I would say replace it. It would probably cost more to repair it then what its worth. JMO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperIN View Post
    I have the same fork, I would say replace it. It would probably cost more to repair it then what its worth. JMO
    Should still be under warranty so I brought it up to the shop and they are putting in the request. It's a pretty crappy shock. I was under the impression that it was air shock, but the guy at the shop said it's an oil shock. I know it's heavy as hell and not a very tight shock, but hopefully the replacement will work a little better.

mtbr member
    Ive been running that fork for a year and haven't had any problems with it, i have bottomed it out a bunch of times landing wrong on bigger drops and jumps, the suspension is about the only thing i haven't changed on my bike because its still working great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have the RST Air deuce on my trail sl2 29er. Are you saying that isnt an air fork or do you have the the sl4 deuce. I havent had any issues with mine other than its prob pretty heavy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hal0tw0 View Post
    I have the RST Air deuce on my trail sl2 29er. Are you saying that isnt an air fork or do you have the the sl4 deuce. I havent had any issues with mine other than its prob pretty heavy
    My bike is the F5 (2010, 26in) and I thought it was an air deuce, but it doesn't say "air" on the fork and the guy at the shop thinks it's oil... Before this fork, I had a headshok from 1997 and I'm wishing I still had that fork. The stiffness of that fork made the bike feel much more responsive than this one. I'm contemplating upgrading to the DLR80 Fatty Headshok, but wanted to get a year out of the deuce and upgrade the wheelset first before tackling the fork.
    Last edited by dirtdan; 09-26-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    My bike is the F5 (2010, 26in) and I thought it was an air deuce, but it doesn't say "air" on the fork and the guy at the shop thinks it's oil... Before this fork, I had a headshok from 1997 and I'm wishing I still had that fork. The stiffness of that fork made the bike feel much more responsive than this one. I'm contemplating upgrading to the DLR80 Fatty Headshok, but wanted to get a year out of the deuce and upgrade the wheelset first before tackling the fork.
    The spring in the fork is air the damping system is oil, much like any other shock. I think your shop is populated by idiots if they can't work that out. Doesn't one of the top caps actually have "Air" printed on it?

If you can't get your lockout to work properly and your shop can't help you, I would suggest opening the system and adding 2 ml of suspension fluid to the system at a time and see if you can get the lockout working again. Lockout failure is usually caused by low oil level, and since the OCR lockout is an open bath lockout system you should be able to add a bit of oil at a time to get it working again. Actually, I would suggest you go ahead and just perform a full fork service since you have to open the thing anyway. Here is a link to the OCR system service video: RST

Of course, it doesn't list what the oil level is supposed to be for the Deuce in that video but I have contacted RST about it and I'll let you know if I hear back.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    thanks for the info. Oddly, none of the caps say air on them but I think it's under the cap that says "preload" that allows you to adjust the rebound...
    Edited because it appears that cap holds the oil...
    Last edited by dirtdan; 09-30-2011 at 02:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I realize this post was from years ago but my rst Duece shock just gave out on me and I rebuilt it in about 30 minutes. If it's a simple lock out issue don't disassemble the whole fork you can take the lockout side off and add about 23 ml to get your lock out back. Keep in my mind that this is the lazy way but I'm getting a Bronson and don't have the cash to blow on a new fork just yet. I wouldn't recommend buying one, but for being stock I am pretty happy it's stiff and I and got 1500 miles out of it before the rebuild. YouTube "OCR maintenance" and you are good to go. BTW any motorcycle shop has fork oil for Half the cost.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    good info.... I still ride that shock