Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Roof rack for Prophet?

Hello,

This is my first post here. Just bought a XL Prophet 4 (euro version w/ 130 mm RS Tora fork). I love the bike! I want to carry my bike on my car´s roof so I bought a Thule Freeride.
    However, the clamp can´t reach the down tube even if I wind the front travel down to 110 mm. Fortunately, my wife´s bike fits well so the rack isn´t totally useless.

Other options from Thule Europe would be Outride and Proride.

I think I would have the same problem with the Proride. Does anyone have experience of Outride with Prophet? It seems a bit sketchy compared to other two models with clamp. Other options are welcome, too, but the availability of other brands is limited where I live.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hi sickdoc,

I have an '05 Prophet 800 and I use the Thule rack below on my Honda Odyssey. You should be able to move the tray forward or back. Also, you can move the tire straps. You'll just have to find the right position to lock your bike in. I had to do some trial fittings before I found the right position.

HTH

Toby

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hello Toby,

Your rack must be somewhat different. I have movable tire straps, but the clamp doesn't budge. Is your Prophet XL, btw?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have a Large Prophet. I had to loosen the bolts between the tray and the mounting plates to move it around. Hmmm maybe yours isn't adjustable like that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yup, it's riveted and can't be loosened.

mtbr member
    i use Thule. the 594 side arm is the best. stick with Thule.

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/prod...t_id=8&sku=594

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks, but I don't think Sidearm is available in Europe. Guess I have to stick with Outride.

mtbr member
    I have used Yakima King Cobra and High Roller on my C'dales last 4 years and had great results.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks Wick, but I think Yakima is also available in US only.

mtbr member
    ebay can ship to you.... haha

LA CHÈVRE
    Thule is from Sweden and offers more products in north america? I use Thule Big Mouths, they work great but yep, not available for you either apparently...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    maybe they try out stuff here 1st. that sidearm is brand new. well, maybe 2006 brand new.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by broomhandle
    maybe they try out stuff here 1st. that sidearm is brand new. well, maybe 2006 brand new.
    The Sidearm is not new at all, it was a Sportswork rack, Thule bought them and slapped Thule logos on it. There has to be other options in Europe, people are not only riding skinny tubed Italian road bikes anymore.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I got Thule Outride (link in the first post) from my LBS. My prophet fits nicely. Dan: the problem with Thule Freeride was not so much the size of the tubing but the limited reach of the clamp.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hi.
    I have a Thule ProRide 591. My Prophet 4 size L fits ok in it.
    For the first use i needed to move the front tire strap forward and move de rack arm backwards.
    Everything is fine now.
    Last edited by esilva; 05-28-2007 at 09:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but...

I'm tired of using trunk-mounted racks and was thinking of getting a Thule rack for my car. Dan, have you used the Big Mouth bike carrier for a prophet? BTW, I have a 2006 prophet 800.

mtbr member

Anyone?

Sorry to be hasty, but I was thinking of putting an order in today...

The last trek I took with the trunk rack had my bike flying around like a rodeo rider (the straps loosened while driving). I don't want to deal with that any more

LA CHÈVRE
    I have two Big Mouths on my car, they work well with my Prophet, my friend's Scalpel and any other bike I have put up there, I highly recommand it. It locks the bike to the carrier and the carrier to the load bars, which is important for me. I wouldn't leave my bikes up there too long even locked but for a quick store stop, it's okay. The Sidearm is nice but more expensive, bigger on the roof and not as secure as it only holds the front wheel so when locked, it's still easy to leave the wheel there and steal the rest of a bike.

mtbr member

Thanks Dan

That's the info I needed, I noticed the big mouth was cheaper too (which is nice). I'm sold.

Now I wish I had an Outback instead of my Sentra

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba74
    Now I wish I had an Outback instead of my Sentra
    I may have to get rid of it which really makes me sad, the company I work for is going through a rough time and they reduced our work hours to save on the payroll, it's nice because I get more time to go biking but I lose a lot of income and with a girlfriend back to school without any serious income, budget is tight... I hope to work something out because I just love this car! Maybe I should dump the girlfriend instead...

mtbr member
    Yea, the girlfriend is optional (says the guy that ain't gettin any)

Half the reason I got the Sentra was because it was a heck of alot cheaper than the suby, but some of the roads I take the car on are definitely more tailored for the ground clearance and all wheel drive. Ah oh well.

LA CHÈVRE
    I didn't bought it new, had a great, cheap price on it (otherwise I would have a Sentra or something like it too) but I wanted an AWD because I spend more time on roads in winter conditions than during summer. I love to go snowboarding when it's really snowing.

mtbr member

Got my rack, the big mouth works great :)

roof rackj.jpg

Thanks guys for the help on choosing and buying

mtbr member
    Hey I have one of those funky Lefty rack adapters if anyone is interested. I was just going to ebay it because it came with a used Jekyll I picked up for parts. Its in really nice (near perfect) condition.
    PrOxY

mtbr member
    I'm diggin' the High Roller:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast