Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    mtbr member
    My 2001 Jekyll 500. All stock. Battleship fade. I want to start upgrading it... where should I start?

mtbr member
    The frame... no no just kidding, I love the Jekyll. I would start with wheels and changing to full disc setup, XTR dual controls can be had dirt cheap on chain reaction cycles if you are happy to not have the latest version.

Doing that would lose the reflectors which are a good start and I'd also ditch the plastic bit of crap that supposedly stops the chain going into the spokes at the rear cassette, just have your stop screws set right..

I'd go clipless pedals, they make a huge difference to power and control, then I'd lose the saddle bag and get a camelbak or the like.

post updates as you go!

mtbr member
    I agree with sp3000....brakes will make a huge difference but prob apart from wheels the most expencive....after that anything else is prety affordable....

Heres my latest upgrade....a pair of MINT lefty Crossmax sl i got off ebay for.... ....160.... ....Stripped them last week and even the bearings are mint....they also came with a pair of Continental Mountain King Tubeless with about 90% wear left but i prefer my Hutchinsons....BARGAIN....

I can get round to finishing the tiling of in the kitchen now....bike comes first though....iv got my prioritys right....
    2002 M Cannondale Jekyll Goodboy 30th Aniversery...#017-300....

mtbr member
    qwackers, love it every time I see your bike!

mtbr member
    Thanks matey....

I also put some Mpart cable guides on the fork....much tidyer than cable ties....

http://www.madison.co.uk/productinfo...catref=BRT0303

The rubber rings are to small to go around a lefty so i used black elasticated ponytail hair bands....works a treat and you can change the color if you wish....

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Can't get enough of this bike...

2001 Small Jekyll
    Manitou Nixon Elite @145mm
    FSA Carbon cranks w/ 32t ring and an E13 LG-1
    1x9 XT/XTR drivetrain 12-34t cassette
    Kings laced to 717's
    Juicy Carbon's
    710mm Funn Fatboy bars
    Kenda Nevegal singly ply 2.35 up front
    Panaracer FireXC Pro 2.1 rear
    Easton EC90 carbon post w/ WTB Ti-rail saddle

I don't have a scale, but I'm guessing it's 25ish pounds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roll Call Jekyll fans!-jekyll.jpg  

Roll Call Jekyll fans!-jekyll1.jpg  

Roll Call Jekyll fans!-jekyll2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Missing a bushing from Jekyll shock bolt??

Guys, am loving the Jekyll admiration will post some pics of my trusty 2003 Jekyll 1000 steed shortly. In the mean time it seems to have developed some clunky movement between the bolt which goes through the shock reducer and the reducer itself. (i.e. play in the bolt where the shock meets the swingarm).

Did there used to be a bushing in there which has gone AWOL?? Just metal spacers in there now and a couple of mm's of metal-on-metal movement.

If anyone can undo their bolt and take a look I'd appreciate it - no upper reducer on the ol' Jekyll to compare it to thanks to the threaded shock!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    The "Clunky" may be your shock thats loose and the collar just needs tightening up....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks quackers, however the only detectable movement is between the end of the shock piston (the reducer) and the bolt which runs through it to connect it to the swingarm. Basically if I left the rear of the bike I feel (and hear) the bolt move within the reducer and likewise when I lower it back onto the ground.

The same thing must be happening every time the swingarm changes direction when riding, which can't be good

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    ...am suspecting that the two silver coloured "spacers" (for want of a better word) inside the reducer used to have some kind of layer of bushing around them which has worn away but would be good to compare with someone elses.

The whole assembly on my bike (bolt, spacers, shock) is metal on metal on metal now - is yours different?

mtbr member
    Sounds like the bushings may have worn or the bolt has and is causing play....is the bolt loose going into the nut?....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Maybe this photo will help for comparison...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roll Call Jekyll fans!-imag0026.jpg  

mtbr member
    My bushings wont come out from my shock so im guessing if yours can or they spin freeley there worm....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    there is a bushing that is pressed into the shock piston end, then the two metal reducers are pressed into that, i believe the bushing you need is called a DU bushing and is pretty cheap.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks guys, much appreciated will see if my LBS can order new bushings etc. for me.

Lots of comments going around my work now about me posting huge photos of my nuts online

qwackers noticed you've put some Crosstrails on your Jekyll, have just ordered some 2010 ones - you happy with them?

mtbr member
    Mine are Crossmax sl....my second pair....no probs ataill....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My Jekyll finally broke! Bottom bracket/main pivot sheared off the front triangle. Can't complain as I probably had 6k-8k miles on the bike. If anyone if looking for Jekyll shocks, I now have 2 excellent condition Answer Minute rear shocks, with the correct sized yoke and lockring (they were acquired within the last two years, one never used, one with about 250 miles on it). PM if interested, otherwise they hit the 'bay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Fixin' shocks Day & Night
    Quote Originally Posted by mete

Excellent Job! That looks fast standing still... I love the blue flash.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The front der is 3-4mm too high...but clean bike for sure. Do you really run that saddle height? (looks like 8-10 of drop from saddle to bar)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by apat13
    The front der is 3-4mm too high...but clean bike for sure. Do you really run that saddle height? (looks like 8-10 of drop from saddle to bar)
    Perhaps the front derailleur is a little bit too high, because before ther was monted a 44 T chainring. The position of the saddle is not correct on the picture yet, it actually is 30mm lower when I ride.
    Last edited by mete; 01-16-2011 at 09:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Bad Boy Jekyll

Here is my 2001 Bad Boy Jekyll.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roll Call Jekyll fans!-mybadboy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    My 2002 Jekyll

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Anybody want to buy this??? Have a piece of the Volvo-Cannondale Mountain bike team... and its NOT a replica.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Anybody want to buy this??? Have a piece of the Volvo-Cannondale Mountain bike team... and its NOT a replica.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roll Call Jekyll fans!-img_2410.jpg  

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast