May 2011
    Here is my 2011 Jekyll

Roll Call Jekyll fans!-img_0574.jpg

Roll Call Jekyll fans!-img_0703%5B1%5D.jpg

I need help to upgrade my fork...

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hi, its my first post here, but Im refreshing my 2005 Jekyll and felt this might be the best place to post.

Ive had the frame stripped and powdercoated, serviced the Fox float rear shock and sent the Lefty max tpc away for a service. Everything else is being disassembled, cleaned, checked, lubed or replaced as necessary.

My question is regarding the rear swing-arm/damper interface where the shock connects to the swing arm. I have a nut and bolt with a pair of washers passing through two ali inserts that sit within the end of the shock. There is a slight amount of play in this set up, always has been since I bought the bike used about 4 years ago.

This play can be heard as the rear suspension does its thing. There is no evidence of wear in any of the components that I can see, but I can't believe cannondale would have signed it off like that. Tightening the nut/bolt until the movement is eliminated would surely affect the suspension badly. Can anyone assist?

Thanks

Ben

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

2015 Jekyll

Roll Call Jekyll fans!-image.jpg
    Upgraded to Guide RSC's and Crossmax XL. Lovin' this ride!

mtbr member
    Here's my Jekyll 2000
    Roll Call Jekyll fans!-img_20150201_090759.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Here's my latest Craig's list find. 2005 Jekyll.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roll Call Jekyll fans!-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

X-Lrg JEKYLL 2002 wFox RC & Headshok

What started out as a Craigslist "large" 2002 Jekyll bike less tires, no shifters/shift cables and no seat/seatpost When I assembled it I discovered getting on it that the seller told me the wrong frame size, it was a "med" frame. I bought a 2001 "X-Large" frame triangle off ebay and sold the old "med" frame triangle on ebay. I assembled, installed "grip" shifters (I prefer) ran new shifter cables, my preferred seat, added tall handlebars and tuned/adjusted things. . Absolutely love it - performs beyond my expectations! My other moutain bike is a F700 hardtail and it's cool to compare the two . I need to blacken the Jekyll's seat-post and handle bars and that should be about it.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/y...g/SAM_1838.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roll Call Jekyll fans!-sam_1838.jpg  

Last edited by Qikbbstang; 04-27-2015 at 07:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Rejuvenated Jekyll

I found a good deal on an older Jekyll on Craigslist last year and decided to build a second bike on a budget. Added a more modern SLX/XT drivetrain and Deore 615 brakes and I've been tearing up the trails. I always liked the ball burnished frames.Roll Call Jekyll fans!-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Roll Call Jekyll fans!-image.jpg

Just got mine and took it out for the maiden voyage today.
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel 3
    '16 Ibis Ripley LS

Out riding my Scalpel
    Quote Originally Posted by LegionX View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	234.2 KB 
ID:	994680

Just got mine and took it out for the maiden voyage today.
    Jekyll's are great bikes. Enjoy! I have the 2003 version and still ride it a lot & love it.

Out riding my Scalpel

Roll Call Jekyll fans!

Just added some new brakes to her. Went Avid Coda brakes. Amazing stopping power. They rock. Rebuilt my FOX Float RL rear shock as well. It's still so fun to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ben99w View Post
    Hi, its my first post here, but Im refreshing my 2005 Jekyll and felt this might be the best place to post.

Ive had the frame stripped and powdercoated, serviced the Fox float rear shock and sent the Lefty max tpc away for a service. Everything else is being disassembled, cleaned, checked, lubed or replaced as necessary.

My question is regarding the rear swing-arm/damper interface where the shock connects to the swing arm. I have a nut and bolt with a pair of washers passing through two ali inserts that sit within the end of the shock. There is a slight amount of play in this set up, always has been since I bought the bike used about 4 years ago.

This play can be heard as the rear suspension does its thing. There is no evidence of wear in any of the components that I can see, but I can't believe cannondale would have signed it off like that. Tightening the nut/bolt until the movement is eliminated would surely affect the suspension badly. Can anyone assist?

Thanks

Ben
    I have this exact issue with my 2001 Jekyll. I have discovered the same things that you have and decided to just leave it as is. I should take another look at it. I remember thinking that there may be a way to use a bushing to remove that small amount of play.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Dear riders,

I haven't a service company for Fox DYAD. So I try to understand is it possible to service the Fox DYAD by myself. And also want to know has it some baby problems ot no. Is it reliable shock. I will be happy to hear any information.

Best regards,
    Yue

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Roll Call Jekyll fans!-jekyll.jpg

Here is my baby. Wife bought it last year for me for 200 bucks. Went and basically changed out the drivetrain, brakes and wheelset. Had the Lefty serviced by the MendonCycleSmith. Got the kit from FOX and resealed and oiled my rear shock. Still rocking 9spd! XT crankset, new XT brakes with the ICE tech rotors. XTR shifters and RD. Love it...weighs about 27lbs. Next upgrade is a dropper post and carbon bars.

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by usmceric1 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jekyll.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	1001764

Here is my baby. Wife bought it last year for me for 200 bucks. Went and basically changed out the drivetrain, brakes and wheelset. Had the Lefty serviced by the MendonCycleSmith. Got the kit from FOX and resealed and oiled my rear shock. Still rocking 9spd! XT crankset, new XT brakes with the ICE tech rotors. XTR shifters and RD. Love it...weighs about 27lbs. Next upgrade is a dropper post and carbon bars.
    my advice would be to not spend so much on this bike and rather save up and buy a new one with modern geometry. This Jekyll is pretty much just steep XC bike. If you buy a frame with a 67 or 68 degree (or just slacker than you have now) you'll have a nicer bike to ride on rough trails.
    If you don't ride rough trails then I guess it's fine. But just make sure you are buying parts that will be compatible with a new frame if you ever decide to buy a more trail oriented bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Someday I will get a newer all mountain carbon frame. For now this works for me, infinitely cheaper than buying a similar spec'd rig, like thousands. And yes I do ride some rough rocky trails here in the Southeast, and it has help up wonderfully. Only thing I would change is going to a 1x10 or 1x11 drivetrain. I never use the big or the little ring, def noticed that. Still plan on a dropper post, it will help with some of the descents. Good info though, I am def not an expert.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Still a great ride!

Here is my 2002 Jekyll 500 that was recently given to me from big bro who just recently upgraded to a 29er. Recently upgraded the Coda crankset to Shimano Deore. (Didn't have the $$ to go to something better) I also have already upgraded to a shorter 80mm stem from the looong 140mm that was stock. Changed out the short flat bars for longer low rise Monkey bars. Today I have a Mavic XC717 wheel set arriving along with some Avid BB7 Mech Disc Brakes and also a new WTB Rocket V saddle. With these upgrades, the bike is riding great.

I do mainly XC which includes a lot of hills since I live in Ecuador in the Andes. So, this bike can really climb and it is also super fast on the single track. Might think about upgrading the fatty head shok to a more conventional fork like a 100mm Rock Shok Reba, but this is something to be done in the future when I have some more cash. I love this bike!
    Attachment 1002674

mtbr member
    Hey Jekyll Owners!
    Quick question:
    I recently noticed on my "15 Carbon team, that on the rear axle x12, it says max torque 10-16nm, but I've seen several Jekylls (same as mine), sporting an x12 axle saying "max toque 20nm".. (my scalpel 29 also says max 20nm)

So what's the deal for the 650b jekyll? what is the correct torque?

Here's the machine, needless to say this thing is top notch and quite special to me:

Frame M
    Crossmax Enduro Mavic
    Pike 160mm prepared by novyparts
    XX1 Cassette
    XX1 Rear D
    XX1 trigger
    XX1 cranks
    32t XX1
    Shimano XTR pedals
    Ergon Pro Carbon SME3 Saddle
    MRP Chain guide
    Sram Guide Ultimate Brakes
    Sram Guide 180mm rotors
    Reverb
    Truativ Holzfeller stem 50mm
    Rockshox carbon spacers
    Truativ Blackbox handlebar J.Clementz
    WTB Moto X grips
    Sram XO Gripshift to adjust the travel
    Sram gps
    Mash guard
    Titanium bolts

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hey freak. Nice ride. My 15' team says 10-16nm also. I tighten to 16nm and haven't had any issues. How long have u had yours? I've had mine since last June. Maybe later production bikes have the updated spec? I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Why did u go for the pike instead of the supermax lefty?

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock901 View Post
    Hey freak. Nice ride. My 15' team says 10-16nm also. I tighten to 16nm and haven't had any issues. How long have u had yours? I've had mine since last June. Maybe later production bikes have the updated spec? I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Why did u go for the pike instead of the supermax lefty?
    Maybe because the Pike is the best Enduro fork ever made?

If the bike was mine it would have a lot more XT/XTR/Saint components...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply Erock
    Regarding the fork, as much I like my lefty on the scapel, I just didn't on the Jekyll.
    It's night and day with a Pike prepared and optimized. A result I couldn't match on the lefty.

On the enduro races, there is just no comparaison, for me at least.

As for the XT/XTR stuff, I'm not a shimano guy (only pedal tho!) and Sram have always been flawless for me for years (call it luck?? maybe! but it works)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Nice ride bro. You had some luck! Drivetrain and brakes from Sram are a big joke, they work well on the stand but as soon as you ride them s*** happens. And I'm a bike mechanic working on $10k-50k bikes everyday, I know a thing or two when it comes to setting a bike properly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Deleted dupe post....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roll Call Jekyll fans!-ilenes-jekyll-800.jpg  

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 08-26-2015 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Dupe Post

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I built one of these for myself a while back, and it worked so well now my wife has one as well. The wheels JUST fit the Jekyll frame with 700cx30 CX tires, and depending on how you set the lockouts it can be a rigid frame, a hardtail or a full suspension bike - works on everything from city streets to rails-to-trails to dry conditions XC -"One bike to rule them all". at least as long as you don't get really serious off-road.

Roll Call Jekyll fans!-ilenes-jekyll-800.jpg

One thing I had not realized about the small frame type IIs ... no water bottle mounts, and really no place to put them other than under the down tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Haven't made another thread since it's strictly related to Jekyll. In a few words , I own a Jekyll 4 , 2012 , to which I've added A 160mm Pike , Crosstrail wheels etc. and I've wondered , is it worth upgrading to a 27.5 Jekyll ? It would be type 3 or 4 , either way , aluminium one. What's your take ?
    "16 Cotic Bfe

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I've had my 15' Jekyll since July 2014. Got about 1250 miles on it. Took it into my LBS for its first real tune up because the drivetrain started making creaking noises. Found that the BB bearings, chain and front chain ring needed to be replaced. Got the bearings done. But when the chain and front chainring were replaced, there was still a creaking noise. Not bad but not as quiet as when it was new. All bolts were torque'd to spec. LBS said xx1 drivetrain/chainrings were susceptible to this noise as well as fast wear. So I'm going to try an Absolute Black direct mount front chainring to go with the xx1 chain. I'm hoping that getting rid of the 4 chainring bolts will get rid of the creaking noise. Anyway, here's the damage so far:
    $65 - tune up
    $56 - xx1 chain
    $45 - BB rebuild incl bearings
    $75 - Absolute Black chainring
    From what I understand, replacing the chain/chainring will help extend the life of my xx1 cassette. That's good since I'll probably have to spend that $300 on my shock/fork service next. Ah the price to play...Still lovin' the Jekyll.

I'll keep updating this thread to give prospective buyers an idea of how much all this stuff cost. Info that would've been useful to me when I was shopping for a new bike.

Professional Noob
    Brought home my 2015 Carbon Team frame today. Long story short, got it for free because there was a recall on Gemini frames. It'll be a slow build thanks to the college budget but I'm stoked out of my mind.
    => CannondaleExperts.com <=

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Roll Call Jekyll fans!-img_0195.jpg

2016 Jekyll Carbon 1 with a 2015 Frame.
    Just took it out for its maiden voyage today. Just a quick ride in the park to bed the brakes and make sure the tubeless setup is right. Hopefully no rain tomorrow and I get to hit the trails.

My previous one got stolen, but my LBS got me the old frame with the new 2016 bike (thanks Brian).

Looking forward to trying out the Guide RSC's in particular. Loved the MT-7 brakes on the 2015.

I love my Jekyll.
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel 3
    '16 Ibis Ripley LS

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Nice Jekyll

what in the world do you mean by "but my LBS got me the old frame with the new 2016 bike" ?

Did they take all new 2016 parts and install them on a 2015 frame?...........Got to cost a fortune to build a bike from new parts..........vs. buying a factory assembled bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Bike was stolen, Cannondale didn't have a new XL 2015 bike, but they had a frame. Cannondale had the 2016 in my size and LBS got the 2015 frame and swapped over the parts. Don't really like the Green on the 2016, and it didn't cost more to swapped the frame. I won't be selling this bike, so I just did it.
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel 3
    '16 Ibis Ripley LS

mtbr member
    On the older Jekylls (04/05), has anyone installed a 1x10? My drivetrain is worn out and 1x10 seems like the best choice for me. Any issues with driveline or the 10-speed cassette fitting?
    It's only funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.
    --Bill Hicks

mtbr member

Picked my new one yesterday, haven't got to put in a real ride yet.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    ^^^^. Nice Jekyll. My son got his Jekyll Carbon 2 on New Years Eve. It's a great bike. We switched out the tires, but everything else is awesome.
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel 3
    '16 Ibis Ripley LS

mtbr member
    I agree everything is awesome. I want to replace the tires on mine but I don't know if my preference of 29er tires will transfer to this bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    How do you guys like the Dyad rear shock? Any real world feedback? I live in the mid Atlantic area with mud, rocks, roots, climbs and then downs. I used to have a bike with a TALAS rear shock and liked the concept, although the suspension it was built into was rather poor.

Tell me more about it, if you do not mind. How does it ride? How is the adjustability? How is the set up? How is the responsiveness when in the short travel mode? I imagine that the pedaling platform will improve but does compliance suffer?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    DYAD is pretty versatile shock but to get the most out of it, you should know a little more about suspension set up. The chart is easy to follow and you can have the different rebound settings in flow and elevate mode. The real adjustability is with the positive and negative àir chamber settings. Only problem is if you don't know what you're doing you may damage the shock and it's an expensive fix. If you know what you're doing, the shock is super tunable almost like a Cane Creek.

Shockis designed to run at 35% sag. At 30% sag, I leave the shock in flow mode and it climbs well over rocks and roots. At 40% sag (more steep downhill trails) you'll definitely use elevate mode, when going uphill. The remote is so easy to use, I switch modes almost as much as I use my dropper.

Really versatile shock.
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel 3
    '16 Ibis Ripley LS

mtbr member
    DYAD is pretty versatile shock but to get the most out of it, you should know a little more about suspension set up. The chart is easy to follow and you can have the different rebound settings in flow and elevate mode. The real adjustability is with the positive and negative àir chamber settings. Only problem is if you don't know what you're doing you may damage the shock and it's an expensive fix. If you know what you're doing, the shock is super tunable almost like a Cane Creek.

Shockis designed to run at 35% sag. At 30% sag, I leave the shock in flow mode and it climbs well over rocks and roots. At 40% sag (more steep downhill trails) you'll definitely use elevate mode, when going uphill. The remote is so easy to use, I switch modes almost as much as I use my dropper.

Really versatile shock.
    So what is the secret to knowing what we are doing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    The things that can mess up the shock is running negative pressure higher than positive. Letting positive pressure go below the 50lbs of pressure limit. Most of these things are in the manual. Stick to the manual and it should OK. For more advanced tuning, I've been to bike clinics and spoke to instructors about how + and - pressure affects the ride and how it affects rebound circuits etc. For most riders, the settings in the manual is fine and you can change the ride by going up or down on the weight chart.
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel 3
    '16 Ibis Ripley LS

Professional Noob
    The things that can mess up the shock is running negative pressure higher than positive. Letting positive pressure go below the 50lbs of pressure limit. Most of these things are in the manual. Stick to the manual and it should OK. For more advanced tuning, I've been to bike clinics and spoke to instructors about how + and - pressure affects the ride and how it affects rebound circuits etc. For most riders, the settings in the manual is fine and you can change the ride by going up or down on the weight chart.
    Do you have any write-ups on the advance tuning techniques? I imagine it'd be pretty straightforward, i.e. a slight boost in relative negative pressure would yield better small-bump compliance and a more linear stroke, from what I understand about the functions of positive and negative springs...

mtbr member
    This is what I'm interested in as well. I am going to start messing with fine tuning soon but any input is welcome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I saw a YouTube video with Mark Weir which got me asking the question of my instructor. Outside of running - too high and jumping the bike you won't hurt the shock. (Sorry to be alarmist earlier). As I'm no expert, I don't want to give wrong information.

I messed around with the sag 40% down steep stuff to slacken the head angle. Once you get the sag, you can mess with - pressure to fine tune the ride. The hard part is the sag, - pressure and rebound settings take a little time to get dialed in.

Try your LBS maybe. I don't want to get anyone in trouble.
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel 3
    '16 Ibis Ripley LS

Professional Noob
    Interesting that it still ramps enough to prevent bottom out, even at 40% sag.

I wonder if setting it to 30% with a little higher negative pressure would achieve similar small-bump results and high traction with more usable travel. If I chose to run it in that setup I would consider offset bushings to slacken out the head.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Does anyone knows how much 26" alloy frames weight ? I've just upgraded my build with quite light parts and ended up with 14.5 kg / 32 lbs for an L size . I have ex1501 wheel set with tubeless maxxis tires , full sram Gx line , guide brakes , reverb dropper and renthal cockpit . Is me going to crazy or I'm right with my readings ?
    "16 Cotic Bfe

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi. Have anyone warranty handling Jekyll 650B?

mtbr member
    They are replacing the rear triangle of my frame. Didn't break came damaged when I got it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

This JEKYLL makes #3 for me!...........

Craigslist titled "Cannondale Mountain Bike for sale". Description was not much better but it did say: "full suspension mountain bike" The picture was pitiful. The seller stated that I was the third one that contacted him in less than 6 hours. First guy had asked if he'd take $125 on phone?.... Second guy failed to show up. The seller had taken it to a park and got it covered in mud the day before it looked awful. I asked how he air'd up the Fox shock?.... He told he did not know if there was a way to fill it.. I test drove it and found everything worked OK. When I got it home I first gave it a careful rinse by hand to get the mud off, then set about cleaning & waxing it. I was astonished, basically three scratches on the entire bike. No collisions from the chain/frame and shifters are dead on. Pedals have no scratches . Not a hint of corrosion or wear anywhere. I checked the Fox shock had 125psi in it and the Manitou Fork both work perfectly.
    I have one JEKYLL X-Large and one Large, both are the early Jekyll's with Headshok's This JEKYLL has disc's. By the components, post #176 (this section), type of Fox RC/rear shock frame configuration and paint scheme I believe it is a 2004....despite the "serial number" beginning with an "N" - that indicates a 2002, go figure? .......... I also have a pair of Cannondale F600 & F700 hard-tails.

Last edited by Qikbbstang; 04-18-2016 at 06:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Great thread! I've been helping a co-worker research a new mountain bike, and I think he's finally settled on a Jekyll. We test rode one from a local seller on craigslist, but he was asking too much $ for it and it needed some work (drivetrain, tires and susp. tuning).
    He found one at The Racery for $2499, it's in great shape. He called and spoke to them on Friday and I think he's going to pull the trigger on Monday. As much as I enjoy spending someone elses money, I'm glad he finally found a bike he'll enjoy

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    hey all, just wondering if anyone has the chainstay part of the rear triangle from a ~2012 carbon Jekyll they want to sell? Mine's had a meeting with a rock by the look of it and is looking a bit the worse for wear.

Professional Noob
    Finally got mine built and color-coordinated and now I get to show off
    Biggest issue is the tires; I love the Butcher DH in the front but having it in the rear too makes the bike pedal like tar. It's super heavy and slow. Need to relegate the rear Butcher to spare duty and get something lighter and faster-rolling.
    Roll Call Jekyll fans!-p5pb13484114.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thx138 View Post
    They are replacing the rear triangle of my frame. Didn't break came damaged when I got it.

How do you broken it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by q232 View Post
    How do you broken it?
    Like stated above the bike came damaged so they replaced it. It was only cosmetic damage but they replaced it anyway.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast