Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Fixin' shocks Day & Night
    My Jekyll is my favorite still...... And it sees the trail the most.
    I have a custom Lefty
    all XTR drivetrain
    Hayes carbon brakes
    Maxxis 2.5 front tire and Maxxis 2.35 rear tire
    Easton Bars and Seatpost

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_rob
    My first XC rig, used for club rounds and the odd 50/100km ride:

Frame: Cannondale Jekyll 2002 XL
    Fork: Lefty ELO Carbon/Titanium
    Rear Shock: PUSHed Fox Float RL
    Rear Der: Shimano XTR, Ti bolts
    Front Der: Shimano XTR, Ti bolts
    Shifters: Shimano XTR
    Crankset: Cannondale CX2 29/44, Ti chainring bolts
    Bottom bracket: Shimano Dura-ace Octalink
    Cassette: Shimano XT 11-34
    Chain: Sram 991
    Brakes: Magura Louise, Ti bolts
    Rotors: Hope Mono 160mm, Ti bolts
    Hubs: Fr - Lefty Si, Rr - Cannondale/ DT Swiss
    Rims: Mavic TXC 3.01 24h
    Tyres: Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.1
    Pedals: Shimano XTR
    Stem: Hope 110mm, Ti Bolts
    Bars: FSA K-force carbon
    Grips: Titec Pork Rinds
    Seatpost: Thomson elite, Ti bolts
    Saddle: Fizik Arione CX, carbon rails
    Extras: Cateye Strada computer, Cannondale Immix cage.

Tips the scales at 11.1kg (24.5lb) in current spec with pedals, computer, etc. which is not bad for a 7 year old XL bike. Seems to do everything reasonably well.
    This will be my 'do everything' bike until I decide to pull the trigger on a Flash 29er...

Nice bike, how do you like your tire?
    What am I going to do with forty subscriptions to Vibe?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Here is mine after my race on Halloween. It was slightly muddy.

Just Ride.
    Nicce to see some bar ends.
    Have fun cleaning her up.

Beginner
    Nov 2009
    Bought this 3 weeks ago. This is my first foray into mountain biking in general. Paid $600 for it plus another set of handlebars. The guy said he rode it maybe 4 times and it looks it. Rear shock needed a rebuild from sitting. It's an XL frame and I'm 6'3". I still feel as if I am leaning forward a touch too much though with some higher handlebars. The steerer has been left uncut as you can see. Dunno what to change to make myself a touch more comfortable yet...
    Recently I upgraded the derailleurs from (rear) Deore Xt and (front) LX to Shimano XTR rapidrise in rear and XTR in front.
    Shimano Deore XT shifters
    Some cheap Avid V-brakes. :-(
    Rock Shox Tora 302 Fork :-(

I am contemplating upgrading to disc brakes, but looking at things, Ill ride this till something breaks that I cant find a replacement for, then uprade to whatever Cannondale is out that year. I'd love to be a "weight-weenie" but I am in it for the exercise, not so much how far or how high I can go.

IF I go with disc brakes, it'll be a Shimano Deore XT setup ($200 new on ebay), but not sure on the wheel/hub setup though.... Want something strong, and trying to stay under $500 total for entire exchange. Interesting thing though is the bike will take V-brakes AND an IS disc setup. Look:

(BTW am building my knowledge while searching these great forums. Didnt know a damn thing when I bought the bike)
    Currently have a problem when I shift the front derailleur that the chain drops off and catches on the front of the rear triangle, and scratches it to hell. Derailleurs otherwise shift perfectly, set them up myself, no noise, quick, no excessive slack. Not sure about the B adjustment screw though, its never overly close to the sprockets like the manual says unless the screw is almost out.
    Last edited by R3Z3N; 11-09-2009 at 01:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Boy, that is certainly a unique jekyll configuration. That is a pre-2001 (shorter travel) frame that has been re-painted (I can't tell if the "Helen" decals are under the clear coat), with a newer fork and headset (only lefties/headshocks until 2002-3). It is tough to tell, but those wheels do not look like disc hubs, so a disc break setup will cost a bit. If you plan on doing it, I would just get a premade wheelset and some avid bb-7's. You also might want to get that steer tube shortened a bit or at least move the stem lower - that is gonna out a hurting on the headset if you take it off road.

Beginner
    Nov 2009
    Helen decals are under the clear coat. And no, they are not disc hubs. I was thinking of spending $300 on a cheap but durable wheel set. However after thinking about it, I'll ride as is. Doing that upgrade, then upgrading the Fork to a Fox Float, I'm closing in on new bike territory. Can you PM me (or post here) as to why I should lower the stem/ or cut the steerer? I put handlebars on that are somewhat taller ( more V to them) and I was instantly more comfortable going up and down the mountain. Wrists still kill going either way though, but shoulders hurt less.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by R3Z3N
    Helen decals are under the clear coat. And no, they are not disc hubs. I was thinking of spending $300 on a cheap but durable wheel set. However after thinking about it, I'll ride as is. Doing that upgrade, then upgrading the Fork to a Fox Float, I'm closing in on new bike territory. Can you PM me (or post here) as to why I should lower the stem/ or cut the steerer? I put handlebars on that are somewhat taller ( more V to them) and I was instantly more comfortable going up and down the mountain. Wrists still kill going either way though, but shoulders hurt less.
    Your spacer stack height is almost as tall as the head tube itself. There is a lot of extra force acting on the top headset cup with that setup (because the extended steertube essentially acts as a lever, amplifying the force from the bars). I think I remember Ritchy or Bontrager saying they do not reccomend ever running more than 40mm of spacers for safety reasons.

Beginner
    Nov 2009
    Thinking about the forces involved, wouldn't there be more force from the bottom of the fork (actually bottom of the tire) than from me pushing/pulling from the top of the steer tube? However I understand both are happening when one rides, ie riding uphill and me pulling on the handle bars to stay on the seat somewhat.

I thought maybe it was more of a stance thing. Either way, I'll try lowering the handlebar set, won't want to cut it currently till I find something comfortable.

I dd what you see there.
    As purchased in March:

Pretty well as stock as it was in 2002 except prev. owner swapped out tires to Tioga Factory DH 2.3

Now in my posession - partially upgraded:

rear shock: Fox Float RC
    rr derail: SRAM X0
    fr derail: SRAM X9
    shift: SRAM X0
    cass: SRAM PC990 (redwin)
    chain: SRAM PC991 hollowpin
    crank: Truvativ Stylo OCT 3.3
    brake: Avid Juicy Ultimate w/ Carbon Levers
    rotor: Avid G3 cleansweep (180fr, 160rr)
    rims: DT Swiss XCR 1.5
    hub: C'dale SI fr, DT 340 RR (both 24h)
    tire: Kenda Nevegal 2.1 tubeless
    zip tie: from old yucky black to stylin' white!
    Added: bar ends: Cane Creek Control Ergo II

Future upgrades:
    Pedals (clipless)
    Ordered: Handlebar (FSA K-Force), Seatpost (Thomson Masterpiece), Saddle (WTB Rocket Race Ti)
    Last edited by XLNC; 06-08-2010 at 04:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

2003 Cannondale Jekyll 600

Here's mine. Got it off Craigslist from someone who rode it once or twice and then just hung it in his garage!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Jekyll 1000SL, 9,5kg

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Jekyll 800 2002 with many upgrades (for Sale ... in France ) :

Frame : Jekyll M Size
    Shock : Float RL
    Fork : Lefty DLR Ti
    Fr. der. : LX 2002
    Rear der.: XT GS Shadow 2010
    Shifters : XT
    Cables : XT
    Cass: XT 11-32
    Chain: Sram PC69
    Crank: XT Hollowtech
    B. Bracket : XT
    Pedals : Candy SL
    Brake: Magura Marta 160/160
    Rims: Mavic UST (Eclipse Kit for UST)
    Hub: C'dale SI, DT onyx (both 24h)
    Tires : Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo 2010 Snake Skin 2.25 Tubetybe@Tubeless with Sealant
    Handlebar : Easton EA70 MonkeyBar
    Stem : C'dale 100mm 20
    Grips : Oury Lock-On
    Saddle : SLR TT
    Seatpost : Thomson Elite
    Seat Clamp : MSC (9g lol)
    Last edited by euskafreez; 06-30-2010 at 01:29 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Anyway, nice ride XLNC ... good taste .

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

My Jekyll

This is my Jekyll

I just got it and I put my wheels on it and I like the way they look.

Also in this picture the sippy cup in the back ground just really completes it all

The pedals are on there until my shoes get in and I can put the spd's back on

BB7 Disc Brakes
    XT shifters
    XT Derailures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roll Call Jekyll fans!-jekyll.jpg  

I dd what you see there.
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC
    rear shock: Fox Float RC
    rr derail: SRAM X0
    fr derail: SRAM X9
    shift: SRAM X0
    cass: SRAM PC990 (redwin)
    chain: SRAM PC991 hollowpin
    crank: Truvativ Stylo OCT 3.3
    brake: Avid Juicy Ultimate w/ Carbon Levers
    rotor: Avid G3 cleansweep (180fr, 160rr)
    rims: DT Swiss XCR 1.5
    hub: C'dale SI fr, DT 340 RR (both 24h)
    tire: Kenda Nevegal 2.1 tubeless
    zip tie: from old yucky black to stylin' white!
    Added: bar ends: Cane Creek Control Ergo II

Future upgrades:
    Pedals (clipless)
    Ordered: Handlebar (FSA K-Force), Seatpost (Thomson Masterpiece), Saddle (WTB Rocket Race Ti)
    Along with the bar, seatpost and seat, I've added a few other upgrades as well.
    Syntace Force 1.5 stem w/Ti bolts holding the bar.
    ODI Ruffian lock on grips (locking the Ergo 2 bar ends to the grips seems to help with mounting them on the carbon riser bar which states no barends should be used.... however I also used some FSA assembly paste - bottom line though: THEY DON'T MOVE!!!!)
    KCNC seatpost clamp (I think it's 'SC11' - the 10g one)
    KCNC Ti axle rear QR skewer (soon to be selling the orphaned KCNC Ti front QR skewer)

so the remaining things I want are clipless pedals/shoes and a carbon lefty but that's for next year.

And thanks euskafreez. likewise with the good taste. lol
    any luck with the sale?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Less than 24h hours. Damn I'm gonna miss this bike, especially the patriotic blue ... or not My alu brushed Prophet's waiting for his wheels, 2 weeks without riding a cannondale. It's tough .

Instead of a carbon lefty I will buy a used Prophet frame (around $500) and and brand new RS Revelation Team Maxle (for $550) for almost the same price as a Lefty Carbon , but ey that's my 2 cents .

Anyway are you sure about the purpose of carbon mounting paste? Just mount a truvativ noir bar, thomson x4 stem and oury lock-on without any paste but I got torque wrench.

mtbr member

Need one (1) pivot spacer. .

Any Jekyll/Super v owners have a spare swingarm pivot bolt spacer laying around I could purchase from you? Or possibly the entire kf 008 swingarm bolt kit?
    emai: az1jeff_buy.sell@yahoo.com. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by az1jeff

Any Jekyll/Super v owners have a spare swingarm pivot bolt spacer laying around I could purchase from you? Or possibly the entire kf 008 swingarm bolt kit?
    emai: az1jeff_buy.sell@yahoo.com. Thanks.
    Try HERE, it's in Germany but they are delivering in the US .

mtbr member
    My Goodboy is having a bit of a makeover at the moment....still keeping the essence of it though with all the pollished xtr and other special stuff....

After years of pollishing the frame the dark grey decals were looking tired and worn so iv had some new ones made up the same as the old ones but in white and differnt sizes to give me a choice plus im going to be using the new Jekyll decal as i couldnt get a good image of the old decal to have coppied plus i think it looks better anyway....

Added some white Odi Hardcore Lock on grips as the old ones were getting sticky....

Added some DMR V12s in white as the Azonic xframes i had on needed new bearing and were prety scratched up....

Added a new Goodridge gear cable set and rear lockout cable in white....

Added new Goodridge steel braided brake hoses....

Looks well smart....will post pics when the new Jekyll decals arive on Saturday....
    Last edited by qwackers; 07-22-2010 at 10:40 AM.
    2002 M Cannondale Jekyll Goodboy 30th Aniversery...#017-300....

mtbr member
    May 2010
    can't wait ... I want a good boy so much

It will be mine.
    Oh, yes... It will be mine

I dd what you see there.
    Quote Originally Posted by euskafreez
    Anyway are you sure about the purpose of carbon mounting paste? Just mount a truvativ noir bar, thomson x4 stem and oury lock-on without any paste but I got torque wrench.
    Well I had the bar ends before the lock on grips, and when I mounted them and torqued them to the number FSA so graciously printed on the bar - with a little push on them, they spun around. Then after a few curse words and a beer (or two) I decided it would be a good idea to over torque another 8 inch pounds. I figured this was a good idea because I also used the Syntace end plugs for using bar ends on carbon bars. No cracks, but still would move with moderate force applied.

I assume the Lock on Grips have some impact but I wanted to be extra sure that the grips and ends weren't going to spin at all.

So far, with my over doing it with the lock on grips, bar ends,end plugs, paste and torqued to the proper spec - they haven't moved a millimeter.

mtbr member
    A week after they were ment to arrive i finaly got all my new decals on....iv had the new style "2011 Jekyll" decals made from a fantastic image i had scaned into a laser cutter so there perfect....

The "Cannondale" decals are the regular ones....should be #17 of 300 but i meessed up the last "0" so im just waiting for a new decal....

I think it turned out well....

Last edited by qwackers; 07-30-2010 at 03:53 PM.
    2002 M Cannondale Jekyll Goodboy 30th Aniversery...#017-300....

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Is that bike equipped with the polished XTR M952 group set? You've got to take some more pics of it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The Jeckyll's are alive and well! Seeing the photos almost makes me wish I never sold mine years ago. I had my shock "Pushed" shortly before passing the bike on to a friend and it rode every but as good as my Prophet.

I have to ask, why the loyalty? Have a lot of you tried new rides and find the Jeckyll as good or better than what's out there in the price range or are you too cheap or broke to buy a new bike?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast