Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Roll Call

Huge Tracts of Land

Listen! Roll Call

Ok we all have the obsession, bug, gift or disease (as my wife calls it) or being Cannondale-philes - so who's the worst of the worst?

1).How many have you got?
    2).How many have you had?
    3).When did you see the light and changeover?
    4).What number bike was it?
    5). Photos...

1). 2 which is not bad for New Zealand and me being a poor student (awww!). Coming over in July to get a F4000SL
    2). 3.
    3). 1994.
    4). 3 - had a sub NZD$500 KHS which I broke after a month of racing and then a Diamond Back Apex which got stolen.
    5). I will have to scan them and put them up later

You turn

Are you talking to me?

Here we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbrat
    Ok we all have the obsession, bug, gift or disease (as my wife calls it) or being Cannondale-philes - so who's the worst of the worst?

5). Photos...

1). 2 which is not bad for New Zealand and me being a poor student (awww!). Coming over in July to get a F4000SL
    2). 3.
    3). 1994.
    4). 3 - had a sub NZD$500 KHS which I broke after a month of racing and then a Diamond Back Apex which got stolen.
    5). I will have to scan them and put them up later

You turn
    1). only 1 (each) currently. 2 total in house.
    2). 4 over the years. (98 f2000, 98 f900, 2001 Jekyll 2000 and now the 2003 Gemini 1000.)
    3.) 1997
    4). 3
    5). see attached. The first one is with the snowcat wheelset, lights, and air shock. The one in the snow is the current setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    gfy

R.I.P. DogFriend
    In my garage right now:

96 GT Outpost - mine
    96 La Luna - daughter
    99 GT Backwoods - son
    99 Cannondale Super V 900 - mine
    01 Cannondale H400 - mine
    03 Giant Iguana - son
    03 Giant Sedona DX - wife
    03 Cannondale Jekyll 500 - daughter

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hmmm...
    Let's add 'em up:

1) 2000 (I think) Super-V 1000, upgraded with XTR Der's, shifters & seatpost, original White (forged & CNC'd) cranks, early White Ti hubs (28 hole, radial 15/17g front; 32 hole radial 15/17g / 3-cross, straight 15g rear), Ti BB, Avid Ultimate brakes (early Ultimate-L levers) and other Ti and CNC'd bits.
    Spare wheelset with early Hugi hubs & Specialized S-Works rims (VERY strong).
    All around x-country / everything bike. Many hard miles - Never a problem.

2) 1990 M1000 hardtail with Pepperoni fork (1 1/4" aluminum steer-tube); Chris King headset, Synchros Ti BB & seatpost, Syncros stem, Synchros hubs, all SunTour XC-Pro Der's / shifters (7-speed) & brakes/levers.
    Previously my bike messenger bike - Now commuter & city/downtown thrasher.
    MANY thousands of miles - Absolutely BOMBPROOF.
    This once proud urban warrior will wind up as my baby-trailer tow-bike!

3) 1990 Road road/race bike (forget the model) - All Ultegra, etc

4) 1986 or 87 (I think) Touring road bike (also forget the model) - All SunTour Superbe (triple crank).

5) (Wife's bike) - 1998 (I think) M600 hardtail, upgraded to full XT, with Manitou fork, C-Dale suspension seatpost & some Ti bits.
    Purchased as frame only - Assembled with some of my leftover parts.

6) Bianchi road bike with full Campy.
    *OK, this one doesn't count, but as long as I was listing all of my bikes...(!)

I previously had a 1984 (I think) C-Dale MTB (the 2nd year they made MTB's), and a 1987 (I think) C-dale full suspension bike (the 1st year they made full susp).
    I also had a couple of early Super-V's (one was a lemon, the other I thrashed until I upgraded and traded it in on the current Super-V.

So, that puts me at 5 C-Dales currently, and a total of 9 lifetime.

I'll probably get a Jekyll or another, lighter x-country C-Dale in the next year or two, as well, for a total of 10.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hmmm...
    Let's add 'em up:

1) 2000 (I think) Super-V 1000, upgraded with XTR Der's, shifters & seatpost, original White (forged & CNC'd) cranks, early White Ti hubs (28 hole, radial 15/17g front; 32 hole radial 15/17g / 3-cross, straight 15g rear), Ti BB, Avid Ultimate brakes (early Ultimate-L levers) and other Ti and CNC'd bits.
    Spare wheelset with early Hugi hubs & Specialized S-Works rims (VERY strong).
    All around x-country / everything bike. Many hard miles - Never a problem.

2) 1992 M1000 hardtail with Pepperoni fork (1 1/4" aluminum steer-tube); Chris King headset, Synchros Ti BB & seatpost, Syncros stem, Synchros hubs, all SunTour XC-Pro Der's / shifters (7-speed) & brakes/levers.
    Previously my bike messenger bike - Now commuter & city/downtown thrasher.
    MANY thousands of miles - Absolutely BOMBPROOF.
    This once proud urban warrior will wind up as my baby-trailer tow-bike!

3) 1990 Road road/race bike (forget the model) - All Ultegra, etc

4) 1986 or 87 (I think) Touring road bike (also forget the model) - All SunTour Superbe (triple crank).

5) (Wife's bike) - 1998 (I think) M600 hardtail, upgraded to full XT, with Manitou fork, C-Dale suspension seatpost & some Ti bits.
    Purchased as frame only - Assembled with some of my leftover parts.

6) Bianchi road bike with full Campy.
    *OK, this one doesn't count, but as long as I was listing all of my bikes...(!)

I previously had a 1984 (I think) C-Dale MTB (the 2nd year they made MTB's), and a 1987 (I think) C-dale full suspension bike (the 1st year they made full susp).
    I also had a couple of early Super-V's (one was a lemon, the other I thrashed until I upgraded and traded it in on the current Super-V.

So, that puts me at 5 C-Dales currently, and a total of 9 lifetime.

I'll probably get a Jekyll or another, lighter x-country C-Dale in the next year or two, as well, for a total of 10.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Full stable here

[QUOTE=Mtbrat]Ok we all have the obsession, bug, gift or disease (as my wife calls it) or being Cannondale-philes - so who's the worst of the worst?

5). Photos...

1). 2 Jekyll 900 original sobe team graphic (orange yellow fade), F series hardtail custom paint (dealer replacement). Also had a killer v frame in 1996, and a f600 black/silver fade headshok. Then there is the rest of the family:
    Brother has 98 Super V custom chrome paint, totally custom tricked bike for the time (topline, machine tech, spin wheels), 2 BMX Cruiser (what..? YUP), 1 blue, 1 chrome paint (one replaced after snapping one in a race, lose headset, Crest team edition road bike
    Sister in law, f800 red volvo model
    Mom f400 killer v style

2). 4 total
    3). 1996.
    4). 8.
    5). will post soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    In the basement right now:

1. 2002 Jekyll 1000

2. 2004 Cannondale R1000

3. 2002 Trek Liquid 30

4. 2001 Trek Fuel 98

5 2002 Raleigh M80

6. Schwinn Hybrid

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Not enough

1) only 2 for now -- '00 Jekyll 1000SL with a few upgrades..XTR cranks, BB, F. Deraileur, Thompson seatpost, Avocet Ti O2 saddle, Easton Monkeylights, and soon Avid Mech and deciding on wheelset.

The second is a recent purchase a '91 SE1000 European model....currently set up as my commuter. Still going through the bike and determining what to upgrade. But it did get the EA70 bar and Kalloy seatpost and an Avocet Ti O2 seat from the Jekyll. But having fun on it so far.

2) I've only had the two I have now.

3) Who changed over, I started with the Jekyll. Couldn't resist the huge discount on the 1" scratch on the fork.

4) They are #1 and #2 although I do have a Bianchi co-mo in there--- I will trade it for a C-dale or parts (whichever is greater). And the girlfriend has a Trek 8500. Tried to put her on a F600 but couldn't pass up the deal on the 8500.

5) No pics yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Roll Call

Boy, compared to some of you folks, I'm an absolute neophite. But what I do have, I'm very proud of. (As we all are, I'm sure!)

5). Photos...

1.) Just one for now. It's a 2004 Jekyll 800 in Sobe green.
    2.) Still, just the one.
    3.) This is the first bike I've owned since 1977. (I'm an old guy, but have always wanted a mountain bike. This is the first, and I'm having a ball!)
    4.) This is my second bike, the first was a Schwinn in the early 70's.
    5.) No photos yet, but soon.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004

re: Roll Call

Hello all, have been posting a few component reviews, and thought I should drop by the Cannondale forum!

1. Currently have a 1995 CAAD1 M200 22" (according to the owner's manual). It's a replacement frame for the one below.
    2. I've had 2. The first was a black (with green speckle) 23" Chameleon with Pepperonis. I think it may have been a '700' model number, I can't rightly remember as I bought it in 1991. Cost around 800 I think. It was shipped to the UK from America specially as I wanted the largest frame size. Front-end like a Tank, huge downtube, but rather skinny rear triangle. In fact, the sacrificial rear dropout held fast and the opposite chainstay snapped in 1995. Cannondale were good enough to replace it with my present frame (albeit an inch smaller) free of charge. I still run the original stem with the chameleon logo (though the logo has long since been obliterated).
    3. After BMXing for several years, I got a loan of a MuddyFox Courier in about 1990 which I rode for a year through the forests near my home. Eventually I had to return it to the owner (after fixing the damage I'd inflicted to it! It was little more than a roadbike frame with wider rims and tyres) but was hooked, and decided to buy a bike of my own. At the time there was Cannondale, Specialized and Klein available where I lived. I was almost persuaded to get one of those 26" front / 24" rear Cannondales that were around at the time, but was glad afterwards that I held off. After a chance visit to a small bikeshop in the Lake District in England I ordered my Chameleon from the States through them.
    4. The frame number? It's on the BB under the cableguide. Sorry I don't know it offhand.
    5. I'd like to post a photo of the current bike when I get one done. I wish I had more pics of the Chameleon, I only have one, taken end-on, so all you see is a rear tyre and seat!

Have recently been renovating the bike, albeit with low-end components. It gets used every day for cycling to the office, and often hits the forest fire-roads at weekends. I would like a new bike sometime, but prices are so high for the sort I would want to upgrade to. I'm quite happy with the current one at the moment.

Out riding my Scalpel

Roll call...My past rides!

My past rides. Boy were they a good fun!

1993-GT Outpost
    1994-GT Pantra Still have the frame
    1995-GT Zazkar LE
    1996-GT Avalanche
    1997-Just rode my GT Zazkar and Avalanche
    1998-Cannondale Raven FS bike
    1999-Rode the Raven..Rode my GT's once in a great while!
    2000-Rode the Raven " "
    2001-Rode the Raven " "
    2002-Rode the Raven " "
    2003-Bought a Cannondale Jekyll
    2004-Still riding my Jekyll

Love the Jekyll and have converted to Cannondale. It happens!

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbrat

5). Photos...
    1). 3 C-dales in the family at the moment.
    2). I'm on my 3rd C-dale. Other bikes in my current stabel include a Surly 1x1, LeMond Zurich, Trek XO-1, old custom Braxton touring bike, and a Trek 830 commuter. My significant other also has an '02 Scalpel 800.
    3). Made the change in 2002, after riding a 2001 Jekyll 1000 with Lefty. Immediately bought an '02 1000.
    4). Are we talking mtn bike here, or all bikes. I have no idea what number bike it was, but it was # 7 mountain bike. To this point they've been '86 Specialized Hard Rock that was too small, '89 Trek 830 (commuter), '96 Klein Pulse Comp 2, '99 K2/Pro-Flex 3000, '98 Marin Mt. Vision, '99 GT XCR 10000, '02 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, '03 Cannondale Scalpel 1000, and finally...
    5). '04 Cannondale Scalpel 2000
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

My Cannondale 'history'

5). Photos...

Just the one, a new o4 Cannondale Gemini 2000

None, my first one.

Saw the light after numerus things, always been a Specialized Man, Original Stumpjumper, to recent01 SJ HT, 01 FS SJ, 03 S-works Hardtail, 03 S-works Epic 04 S-works enduro, spent the last few months with set up hassle and Finding the enduro didnt match my riding style and I found it too flimsy, changed my mind onto the gemini after seeing Cedric Gracia at the red bull rampage 3 DVD and looked up the reviews, and my LBS took back my Enduro and I got the gemini instead; much better for my riding and it climbs as good rear end, though the front end is a bit higher than im used to, but blows the enduro out of the water going down and going across rough stuff.

Bike number 8

http://martyn-james-nash.fotopic.net/c166313.html

mtbr member
    1. 2 of my own: 2001 Adv 400-jekyll 600 2004, my gf has 1 also-silk adv 400 2001
    2. only the 2
    3. first bikes i bought as an adult, no crossover
    4. i had one bike as a kid, a huffy i think
    5. maybe later

mtbr member
    Man, what a sweet ride.

I'm really undecided about what Cannondale to get now. I've got an F300, so anything will be better

I'm not a pro, but I'm getting semi-pro tendancies. Ride here in central Brazil - mainly very dry loose gravel all year + muddy conditions in the rainy season. In doubt about weather to get a Jekyl or a Scalpel.

I'm tending for the Scalpel 2000 - which is what you got. Thought it looked crappy on the website, but your pic makes the gold/black look better than I thought.

Do you think the extra $ is worth it to get the Scalpel 3000? And how about the Jekyl 3000? Any good for XC?

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Quote Originally Posted by IronBiker
    Man, what a sweet ride.

I'm really undecided about what Cannondale to get now. I've got an F300, so anything will be better

I'm not a pro, but I'm getting semi-pro tendancies. Ride here in central Brazil - mainly very dry loose gravel all year + muddy conditions in the rainy season. In doubt about weather to get a Jekyl or a Scalpel.

I'm tending for the Scalpel 2000 - which is what you got. Thought it looked crappy on the website, but your pic makes the gold/black look better than I thought.

Do you think the extra $ is worth it to get the Scalpel 3000? And how about the Jekyl 3000? Any good for XC?
    I breifly thought about the 3000, but since I don't race, I just couldn't justify the extra expense. I also thought breifly about the Jekyll 3000 as the Lefty Max is really amazing and the new SPV shocks make the bike a better climber than Jekyll's of old, but I just love the geometry of the Scalpel, and I really don't need the extra travel for my normal rides. As for the 2000, it really looks great in person, and I love the way it rides! If you normally ride xc, no big drops, the Scalpel is hard to beat.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    what is the cost of the scalpel vs the jeckyl. comparing two similar ones, component wise riding an f600 that I just got and LOVE, but wouldnt mind another with full suspension. used to ride a fisher joshua Y and miss the plushness. not that I dont LOVE the f600 thing is awesome and real light and flickable

singletrail lover

"Scalpel 2500"

- Main bike is now a Scalpel. When my Jekyll had a bent backend and showed some wear in bearings, I took the frame trade-in option and bought the scalpel frame with a carbon lefty on it. Not a new Jekyll, because I did not want more Travel than my old Jekyll.
    This color (White/Silver Hyperhlght) is the standard color of the 04' Scalpel 2000 here in europe. I then mounted the leftover parts from my Jekyll on it, so it is now a Scalpel 2500 or so... Frame size XL. Very sweet ride!
    - OK, I also have a BMC road bike (C'dale was not able to deliver the big frame sizes at that time) and a KONA beater bike (bought at the price of a XTR crankset...)

F1000, Jekyll 3000, now Scalpel

With the F1000 in '97. The Jekyll was an unbelievably great bike. Took me anywhere, felt comfortable.

Second mountain bike.

5). Photos...
    scalpel. new frame, old parts

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Quote Originally Posted by ericF600
    what is the cost of the scalpel vs the jeckyl. comparing two similar ones, component wise riding an f600 that I just got and LOVE, but wouldnt mind another with full suspension. used to ride a fisher joshua Y and miss the plushness. not that I dont LOVE the f600 thing is awesome and real light and flickable
    Well, at the 2000 level there's about a $500 difference, with the Jekyll being more expensive. I guess you're paying extra for the Lefty Max and SPV rear shock.

mtbr member
    My new 04' Jekyll 1000. Have had it for a couple of months and love it so far, just what I was looking for with an all-around bike.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Good job!

what is the frame trade in thing? do you get a good amount of $$ for the old frame? I love my f600 but am considering getting a jeckyl or scalpel as well.....
    o, and.............
    1) I have 2 cdales right now, the f600 I just got and my first mtn bike, a 96 m400.

2) how many? these 2

3) when did I see the light? it was my first, but I got a fisher joshua Y in 98 that was a leftover 97, liked it but back with cdale now been out of biking about 5-6 years, knee surgery x2

4) it was my first bike

5) no photos yet, but I will get them

singletrail lover
    frame trade-in is organised by cannondale. you bring your old frame and get a new one cheaper. see in the back of the c'dale catalogue (mine is europe version) what models are available.

so far so good. the bad news is that a c'dale frame at a discount is still not for free, especially with european c'dale prices. the scalpel frame above (with carbon lefty dlr and fox pro-pedal) costs the same as a fully equipped jekyll 800 (list prices here)..... is it worth it? in my case it was still a good way to acquire my scalpel, since i had 1-year old parts like crossmax wheels and xtr crankset left from the jekyll....

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The Jekyll rocks!!! Where do you ride that your bike is kept so clean?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungadin
    The Jekyll rocks!!! Where do you ride that your bike is kept so clean?
    Live in Las Vegas and ride mostly single track, loose over hard pack, and rocks with some technical downhills. Yeah, looks pretty clean but didn't last long. This is before the first ride but have some "clean" battle scars on her now and plenty of desert dust!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    got a picture that I took when I first got the bike, little more dirty now
    Last edited by ericF600; 05-26-2004 at 06:29 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast