Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Good job! Roel Paulissen World Champion Marathon on a Scalpel!!

Today, at Italy, Villa Bassa, the belgian Cannondale-Vredestein rider Roel Paulissen won the Worldchampionship MTB Marathon 2008, before Christophe Sauser.

Being a Belgian C'dale fan, this is truly great news. Last years at the WC MTC Marathon at Verviers, Roel ended 2nd after Sauser. This year, Roel proves again that he is one of top professional MTB'ers of the world.

Let's pray that he can maintain his shape, and even better it, for the Olympic games end of August!

mtbr member
    That is great news! I read it was quite a thriller end when both Roel and Christoph sprinted for victory and crashed before the finish line. Christoph was the first one to get on his bike again and crossed the finish line before Roel who was in anger because Christoph would have hindered him in the sprint. Eventually UCI decided that Roel got the gold and Christoph the silver medal.
    Kayba

mtbr member
    Footage on youtube.
    Kayba

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_DnXB_B6H8

LA CHÈVRE
    Sauser wasn't on the podium when they uncorked the champagne...

So that's two World Championships on the latest Scalpel, in less than a year.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

FIRENZE rulez !!
    poor scalpel ..... a shot to heart

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Bike looked a bit fragile. Could anyone see what broke?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You can't quite tell, it kinda looks like the stem/steerer snapped, doesn't it? And well, when you hit asphalt at speed anything can happen, so that's not a question of bike being fragile or not. Luckily none of the two got injured!

But it did look like Sauser was pushing Roel out before that finish line, no wonder they took away that win from him.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Good call, a desparate and cowardly attempt to prevent the inevitable.

mad aussie
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker921
    Bike looked a bit fragile. Could anyone see what broke?
    I dont think Paulissen runs a Si stem/steerer as he runs more of a negative rise than stock. I think its a FRM stem on lightened steerer.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kopaczus
    You can't quite tell, it kinda looks like the stem/steerer snapped, doesn't it? And well, when you hit asphalt at speed anything can happen, so that's not a question of bike being fragile or not. Luckily none of the two got injured!
    Wow. Having just gotten into XC myself and following threads like Andrea's (Eliflap) ultra-light Scalpel, it sure turns me off weight weenie parts. (Assuming he was using non-stock tuned or 3rd party parts.) yes, this was ashpalt, but so what? A rock is no softer.

Quote Originally Posted by kopaczus
    But it did look like Sauser was pushing Roel out before that finish line, no wonder they took away that win from him.
    I'm no expert here. (I am completely new to the sport - and incidentally I am a Cannondale fan.) But this looked like a racing incident. Sauser was sprinting to the finish, getting up out the seat and swaying violently. Just like any sprint to the finish. No chance to look behind. He took a tight line, but Roel had his nose there. Roel took his chance, not to mention put himself in a position to be squeezed by being just behind enough. Pure racing incident.

Don't know why it was taken from Sauser.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Wombat
    I dont think Paulissen runs a Si stem/steerer as he runs more of a negative rise than stock. I think its a FRM stem on lightened steerer.

Kevin
    Yes, he runs a FRM carbon stem as seen here at the XCO World's...

LA CHÈVRE
    I'm guessing the UCI saw it as Sauser intentionally blocking/boxing Roel against the barriers which is not very sportsman-like. The best place to sprint is just behind the other and Sauser knew very well where Roel was but he made sure Roel had nowhere to go... In road racing, some racers have been, not placed 2nd but completely disqualified for such things but it can be hard to judge, the race officials have the last word though. It must not be as gratifying to get the rainbow jersey under these circumstances... I thought Roel was looking for Sauser to start a fight!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeah, I hear you. My background is in motorsport, where there is simply a lack of real estate when you get two vehicles near the apex of a turn. So getting your nose clipped when it is at someone's tail on the inside is normal. Make the pass or back off.

But there is no lack of real estate here; I do see the squeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I'm guessing the UCI saw it as Sauser intentionally blocking/boxing Roel against the barriers which is not very sportsman-like. The best place to sprint is just behind the other and Sauser knew very well where Roel was but he made sure Roel had nowhere to go... In road racing, some racers have been, not placed 2nd but completely disqualified for such things but it can be hard to judge, the race officials have the last word though. It must not be as gratifying to get the rainbow jersey under these circumstances... I thought Roel was looking for Sauser to start a fight!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    [SIZE=2]What’s this? Specialized trying to take over the adjustable seat post market and its team members being unsporting all in a week, unbelievable! What am I saying, they do this rubbish all the time.
    [/SIZE]

What It Be ?
    [QUOTEI thought Roel was looking for Sauser to start a fight!][/QUOTE]

That would of looked real good. But under those circumstances I probally would of done the same thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    wow, that's a harsh call by the UCI official. Sauser didn't make any sudden direction change and Paulissen positioned himself really poorly for the sprint.

A shame it had to be decided like that though.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    Its a shame that dirt road are considered a mtb race course.Had Paulissen ran with his bike he probably would've won fair-n-square.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    looking for the champagne bottle not opened from Sauser

where is it ? i need to drink

LA CHÈVRE
    Looks like the FRM stem broke, the clamp is still on the steerer but the whole bar is hanging by the cables...

They still look friendly although that's before the jury told their verdict.

Ridin' dirty!
    Did the rubber boot came off of the lefty too?
    Looks weird..or is this some sort of prototype??
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

FIRENZE rulez !!
    link to youtube does not work ....

video has been removed

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    Did the rubber boot came off of the lefty too?
    Looks weird..or is this some sort of prototype??

no, there is a 88:aid boot on there

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Great for Roel, boring for FRM. Sauser has to learn how to ride nice but fast.

mtbr member
    Roel uses the FRM stem because of the limited angle options of the SI stems. I'm not sure what angle/length he uses but it's not offered by cdale. Probably zero degree and cdale goes plus or minus 5 deg. Looks like christoph landed right on the lefty (I've only seem the still photos) possibly putting a lot of force on the end of the handlebar, hence breaking the stem in two. Ouch

mtbr member
    Good thing they were both wearing Lycra, not a mark on them!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast