mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Rock Shox SID on Scalpel..

whats is the "gate" knob on the fork supposed to do?? also has anyone experienced any creaking from your scalpel when u pedal? i thought it was the bolts that hold the shock together, any idea? thanx

ballbuster

Gate...

Quote Originally Posted by security58 View Post
    whats is the "gate" knob on the fork supposed to do?? also has anyone experienced any creaking from your scalpel when u pedal? i thought it was the bolts that hold the shock together, any idea? thanx
    Is basically how much of a trail bump it takes to release the compression damper. Compression damper slows down the fork's compression cycle.. all the way on, fork is locked out, all the way off, it reacts quickly to trail bumps,but will bob like crazy if you crank out of the saddle. I run mine all the way open unless I want to lock it out since I ride seated most of the time. When I get out of the saddle, I lock it out.

If you ride with the motion control compression all the way on, you can run the gate super high to make it like a full lockout, or super low so it slows the fork down and not bob, but it will let go when you get into bumpy stuff.

I run my gate fully locked out, and use the compression opened or close as the lockout lever.

You're probably going to get better answers if you ask this in the Rockshox forum, or the suspension forum.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    thx man, i hardly lockout my fork. so if the gate knob is open all the way, when fork not locked out, it still locks the fork until it hits bumpy stuff??