mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Rize 3 Wheel Upgrade

I trashed the rear wheel and tire on my Rize 3 yesterday (entirely my fault) -- they MUST be replaced. (Gears and brake are fine). As long as I'm springing for a new rear wheel and tire, I thought it might make sense to upgrade and do the front at the same time. Any (Lefty compatible) recommendations?

mtbr member
    mavic ust 819 at totaly bomb proof. i have a set on my prophet for 2 years now and i have never had to true them. i run 14g spokes and a hope pro 2 rear hub. very solid set up and i have only had to rebuild my hub once. you could go with a 14/15 or other set up for spokes to reduce weight. also running the tubless tires are very nice for the increased traction. karl

mtbr member
    May 2007
    budget is what?

You can go Mavic ST lefty wheel set. I think they are around $600. (tubeless too)

You can relace your lefty hub onto a Mavic 819 rim. For the back you can go Chirs King with an 819 rim. I run this and have had 0 issues. Hope pro 2 hub is a cheaper alternative.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    +1 for 819 here. Absolute bomb proof. Only problem - Not fit for tires more than 2.3 width.
    I hate the hope hubs, they make loud noise. I'd go with an old Shimano 756 XT 6 bolt hub. No problem fixing it and maintaining it yourself, cheap, and very strong as well.

mtbr member
    I have found that the louder the hub the less I have to yell at hikers to move off the trail. But yes they are loud but work very well

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks to all for their input. I found a Mavic CrossMax ST Disc Lefty Wheelset for $500. Anyone know how the Mavic's and ZTR's compare?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lmbcfls
    Thanks to all for their input. I found a Mavic CrossMax ST Disc Lefty Wheelset for $500. Anyone know how the Mavic's and ZTR's compare?
    Just priced out some ZTR's. I'm about to pull the trigger on the Mavics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have a Rize 3 and also upgraded to the Crossmax STs. Just make sure you fully grease the O'ring under the bolt which connects to the axle (Get a hub tool, take it apart and grease the hell out of it) Mine came with no grease, and i destroyed the o-ring within 20km. Some guys run with no o-ring, but i just keep mine nice and lubed up.

I'm with stupid
    I like and have beat on my mavic crossmax st and have had no problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    i have a set of 2009 mavic st's and a several sets of Stan's arch and flow w/hope hubs, like the stan's better.
    I am 210lbs and ride a prophet.
    I found the mavic's made strange sounds when stressed and now only use them for xc stuff.
    Both the arch's and flow's have stood up well to fr/dh riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just reuse the old hubs and lace them to some mavic xm819s.
    did this on my rize, was stoked on having ust and bomb-proof rims.
    stans are nice for weight, but not eyeletted = not as long-term durable;

if you want to spring, then get a hope proII rear hub, instead of the stock - but stock was nice.

I don't see the reason to spend more money on other things for the 3 - it's not a light-weight machine, it's an AM machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing