Thread: Rize 3

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Rize 3

New ride, coming from PUSH'ed Prophet 1000.

Frame/fork/brakes/sus/shifters - stock

Wheels - Mavic Crossmax SL
    Tires - Maxxis Ignitor
    Seatpost - Crank Bros Joplin
    Pedals - Crank Bros Mallet Mag
    Front rotor 'upsize to 205mm

3 rides on it, so far. I lower my seat when riding down the hills around here. In the past a quick release sufficed. This bike comes with seatpost collar and bolt, so I upgraded to avoid the tool at every trail descent or refitting a QR collar.

We ride from the door, so it is really nice…
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    I'm very interested in the Rize 3. What size is yours, and what is the weight?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The saddle really doesn't look right on that bike. It looks like the stock one, but black with red trim would look nicer. The should have painted that Max top half black too. But that's just me being jealous of not having a rize. I do love the red frame. That looks good.

It looks like a nice ride.

How is that CB Joplin thing? I have been looking at a seatpost adjuster after Downieville this year

I was looking at those Maxiis Ignightors too. How do they ride with a Lefty. I'm currently running a 2.35 UST Negeval.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Here's what I have so farů

My bike is a medium. It weighs a shade under 28 lbs, (using my poor scale), with the additional weight of the Crank Bros Seatpost and the additional one pound weight of tire sealant.

While only out for a few rides, I like the seatpost. Running down the trail back to the house, it was great to have the seat down. It made the bike easy to flick to a different line.

The Ignitors are 'grippy' and the sidewall has held up well t all of our rock. (I've been running these on the Prophet before this.) They run well on low psi (22-25 lbs). For here, they are a pretty good "overall" tire, IMO (and strictly IMO, I'm sure you can get all kinds of different views on the tire). They are a bit lighter than the High Rollers that I was running, but don't quite have the grip. They seem to be wearing a bit better, though. (I guess that is the obvious trade.)

Seat color: Yeah, wasn't my favorite at first, but it is a 'dirty white' now, so not quite as nasty. I've used WTB seats (saddle…pardon my pedestrian vernacular) for a long time. After the initial build and just running around the 'yard trail', it (the saddle) felt nice and was easy to get behind, so I thought I'd try it. I still like it and didn't get any of those 'new seat hot spots' that sometimes occur with a new perch.

My initial reaction to the bike is, it is quite excellent. It climbs better than my Prophet with custom PUSH (Jimmy kicks a$$…) and, without the 'new ride dialing' not even done, I think the thing feels more balanced and responsive. First ride, I climbed over a loose, sandy uphill section that I hadn't made in over two years. I did not have the lockout engaged, so I could compare to my Prophet. Now, some will say, "that's new bike buzz" getting you over stuff. No, one week previous, a farm plow fell on my ankle, necessitating a hospital visit and no walking for three days. It was still massively swelled and I couldn't 'push'. It was the bike…

So, first impressions are excellent.
    Last edited by C.J.; 07-29-2008 at 11:06 AM.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.
    My bike is a medium. It weighs a shade under 28 lbs
    Excellent! I ride a medium and was hoping for right around 28. Now I just need to find the money.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    A pound of tire sealant?????
    Are you using Stans?? I think Stans is like 30g a scoop. For a UST tire, I only put one scoop.

I need a nice bonus at work to get my desired Rize 1. I would probably swap my Chris King/819 wheel for the stock ST rear.

It sounds like you are happy with your purchase.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Everything has thorns!!!

The weight listed for the bike INCLUDED CB post and sealant. It would be sub-26 without them.

I use 'CJ's Cactus Spooge', a mix of Flat Attack Tire Sealant, latex mold builder, and Windex. I use a lot and haven't had a flat on any bike in years. I suspect that, here in the dry southwest, that some of the liquid is absorbed/evaporated/leaked through the tiny bead imperfections. I, occassionally, have to add more water or mix after a particularly long dry spell or after a long 'bushwack' ride.

Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    A pound of tire sealant?????
    Are you using Stans?? I think Stans is like 30g a scoop. For a UST tire, I only put one scoop.

I need a nice bonus at work to get my desired Rize 1. I would probably swap my Chris King/819 wheel for the stock ST rear.

It sounds like you are happy with your purchase.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i thought the lefty was carbon that what they show online

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by killzone
    i thought the lefty was carbon that what they show online
    No, this is a Rize 3 model, the pics at Cdale website show an Al Lefty in black color!! That's the trick.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    30gr of sealant is about 30ml. yo can work on a specific gravity of 1
    Thats way to little anyway.

I always top up with around 60ml of sealant per tyre which is half a pound for two tyres.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    30gr of sealant is about 30ml. yo can work on a specific gravity of 1
    Thats way to little anyway.

I always top up with around 60ml of sealant per tyre which is half a pound for two tyres.
    A little less than one scoop is what I use for my UST tire. The thorns around my house only make little pin hole when you pull them.

I'll have to weigh a scoop when I have a tire off.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Review Update

I continue to be impressed by the bike and like it more each day. I had the bike for several weeks before I was actually out riding it, (due to some work and unforeseen events popping up) so I didn't have the 'new bike-itis' where 'everything is great'. I put the Crossmax SL's onto my PUSH'ed Prophet and put some Mavic 819s on the Rize. The weight between the two is VERY close, now and I felt I could compare them more objectively.

I should state: I've LOVED MY PROPHET In head-to-head comparisons, I REALLY like the Rize as my all-around bike. I think it climbs much better than the Prophet. I've done a lot of small drops (2 feet) on it (Rize) and haven't felt it get close to running through the travel. The lock-out is phenomenal, best yet.

The Crank Bros Joplin is worth the $. I'm a light rider and the couple times I just 'perched' on a Gravity Dropper, I felt function was excellent, but the return on it was strong enough that I was afraid I might get a 'prison experience' if I wasn't careful. The reviews on the CB post state that it is finicky (like some CB products). I believe that the more precise the engineering and smaller the tolerances produces a better product, but one that usually requires a little more attention. I wipe the stanchion and, a little lube, wipe it again and that is about it. If you stand next to the bike and firmly grip the saddle, there is the slightest wobble, but nothing that you feel while seated.

I've liked Cannondale bikes for a while. With that said, regardless of manufacturer, when laying out the $ for ANY expensive mtb, they SHOULD ALL BE GOOD. You should just be choosing what really works and fits YOU. We get a lot of guests through here and, while I've recommend C'dale when they ask about buying a bike, I also encourage them to try other rides , too. With this new ride, it is the first time I will be saying "buy this bike!"

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.
    My bike is a medium. It weighs a shade under 28 lbs, (using my poor scale), with the additional weight of the Crank Bros Seatpost and the additional one pound weight of tire sealant.

While only out for a few rides, I like the seatpost. Running down the trail back to the house, it was great to have the seat down. It made the bike easy to flick to a different line.

The Ignitors are 'grippy' and the sidewall has held up well t all of our rock. (I've been running these on the Prophet before this.) They run well on low psi (22-25 lbs). For here, they are a pretty good "overall" tire, IMO (and strictly IMO, I'm sure you can get all kinds of different views on the tire). They are a bit lighter than the High Rollers that I was running, but don't quite have the grip. They seem to be wearing a bit better, though. (I guess that is the obvious trade.)

Seat color: Yeah, wasn't my favorite at first, but it is a 'dirty white' now, so not quite as nasty. I've used WTB seats (saddle…pardon my pedestrian vernacular) for a long time. After the initial build and just running around the 'yard trail', it (the saddle) felt nice and was easy to get behind, so I thought I'd try it. I still like it and didn't get any of those 'new seat hot spots' that sometimes occur with a new perch.

My initial reaction to the bike is, it is quite excellent. It climbs better than my Prophet with custom PUSH (Jimmy kicks a$$…) and, without the 'new ride dialing' not even done, I think the thing feels more balanced and responsive. First ride, I climbed over a loose, sandy uphill section that I hadn't made in over two years. I did not have the lockout engaged, so I could compare to my Prophet. Now, some will say, "that's new bike buzz" getting you over stuff. No, one week previous, a farm plow fell on my ankle, necessitating a hospital visit and no walking for three days. It was still massively swelled and I couldn't 'push'. It was the bike…

So, first impressions are excellent.
    Last edited by C.J.; 08-19-2008 at 11:16 AM.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Nice bike! got one of my own, all stock though except for pedals (mg-1s and m545's) and I threw some matchmakers on there (why not), and x.9 shifters. Loving it so far! I had planned on getting a '09 revelation and new wheelset, but suprisingly, no one offered me anything for the lefty. i'm not too tore up, it's been doing great! My only complaint is that it is too beautiful, so I end up spending an hour cleaning it after every ride. The saddle has been a nice suprise too, really great.