mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Rize 1 XL: which rear shock size?

I must replace the rear shock (Fox RP23) on my Cannondale Rize 1 Carbon (Size XL, year 2009). I intend to mount a Fox CTD valve XV with remote.

According to my measurement, the distance eyelet-to-eyelet is 200mm. However I am told by an internet shock vendor that Cannondale insists that I use a 185mm rear shock. To me, this makes no sense!

I really, really would like to avoid buying the wrong shock. Can anybody help me select the correct shock length? Many thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The Rize supplemental manual I have for my Rize says 200mm eye-to-eye and 50mm stroke for the shock. The manual covers the carbon model too. The retailer may be confusing the later Rize/RZ 120 model which probably does have at least a shorter stroke shock, if not a smaller eye-to-eye measurement.

The PDF file I looked at is/was on the Cannondale site, but it won't download now for some reason.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    great - thanks for confirming! That's what I thought.

I'm with stupid
    As Per my 2009 rize owners manual. Hope this help

SHOCK DATA:

STROKE
    50mm
    EYE-TO EYE
    200mm
    upper BUSHING WIDTH
    22.2 0.05mm
    lowerBUSHING WIDTH
    22.2 0.05mm
    BOLT HOLE DIA.
    8.1 0.05mm
    SAG
    25%
    11-12mm

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just verified that in the 2010 manual that includes the RZ 120 that the shock eye-to-eye for the RZ 120 is 184mm, stroke is 45mm. The Rize and RZ 140 are definitely 200mm x 50mm.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks, that settles it. I shall assume that frame size (mine is XL) has no influence on the length.

I Love my Rize

Here's the deal

The Rize and RZ have a different stock shock stroke. The Rize which came out as a 130mm rear travel bike used a 200 x 50 mm shock. The RZ on the other hand was a stock 140mm bike. The Frame of the Rize and RZ are the SAME. They got the extra travel by useing a 200 x 57mm shock. I have the first run of Rize's when they came out and I changed the shock to a Rock Shox Monarch RT/AM built up new by PUSH in the 200 x 57mm size to give my bike 140mm of travel. I just bought the new alloy 140 Lefty fork and had 7 wgt. oil installed in it and I downhill with it. The bike is badazz. I also use the RWC needle bearing kit and changed ALL of my suspension bearings to Enduro MAX bearings from RWC. I also put the 90mm X 20mm Rise one piece stem on it and the bike is a downhill monster now. I changed the fork oil to a heavier wgt to eliminate the fork dive that lefty's are noted for and it works like a charm. I would definetly got with the 57mm stroke shock. Even with my stock lefty it felt GREAT. I am modifying my stock fork as we speak with a different air piston and the 7 wgt oil. The new air piston I got is a little longer so it has a tad less air volume so it ramps up just a tad quicker and bingo no more fork dive.

Dano
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Dano,

Regardless of your experience, the manual for the 2010 RZ 140 says it is a 200mm x 50mm rear shock. I don't know why the manual was not corrected, unless the 50mm shock did indeed give 140mm of travel in the 2009 Rize instead of the advertised 130mm. I should go take the air out of my Rize and attempt to measure the travel, but I have already been overtaken by apathy on the subject.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danoalb View Post
    The Frame of the Rize and RZ are the SAME. They got the extra travel by useing a 200 x 57mm shock.
    Dano
    that is not true. check cannondale website: http://media.cannondale.com/media/Ma...140_oms_en.pdf