Thread: Rising front...

MBAficionado
    May 2007

Rising front...

Just back to off-road riding after a decade of road riding, i'm experiencing front lifts whenever i climb steep slopes...

Will moving the stem up along the steerer tube solve the uplift? i haven't got to try it yet as i'm used to a lower front end with all that road riding

LA CHÈVRE
    You need to shift more weight over the front on steeper climbs. Your center of gravity shifts toward the rear when you sit normally on your bike, yhe steeper the hill, the further back your weight goes, you have to adjust your body position to keep your center of gravity more toward the front.

Moving the stem higher up will make it worse as it moves your weight back even more. A lower front end helps but I wouldn't change your position, not yet at least. Try to move your body forward, sitting more on the tip of the saddle if you need to and leaning more over your front wheel by bending your elbows more...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member

Or

use the uplift service

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by mzungo
    use the uplift service
    Where's the fun in that? Waiting for the lift up, sitting in a chairlift... it's all time not spent riding!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    try flipping your stem if it has -/+ 5*-10* offset. i flipped mine down until i ordered a 110mm.

a 90mm. was to short for me, i could pull the front up on climbs and put it on the opposite side of the trail.

MBAficionado
    May 2007
    @ mzungo,
    Thanks for your friendly suggestion. No, i won't. i'm kinda old schooz & stubborn, even riding to-and-fro any off-road trails 40km away each way when my buddies offered to fetch me in their SUVs

@kidd,
    Thanks. i've indeed changed to my spare 110mm stem & learning to steer accurately with it. All my properly-fitted road bikes are with 110mm stems so perhaps it will work out that way too with off-road bikes!

Cheers,

LA CHÈVRE
    Road and mountain bikes are different, they shouldn't fit you the same but a longer and/or lower stem will help. Just experiment it and experiment with body positions next time you have a hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground.