mtbr member
    Jul 2008

... and if we just ... Rigid Fork Recommendations

Hello
    I have a 1997 F2000 and the Fatty 70 blew it's guts. I purchased a Scalpel and love it but am sad to see the F2000 lying dormant in the basement. It was a great bike - very light and fast handling. I'd like to revive it on the cheap by using a headset reducer and a rigid fork.

Can anyone recommend a replacement fork? What should I be looking for in supension correction? How a about trail?

Once the bike is back together, it will be used for XC training and racing on some of the less gnarly trails in this area.

Right now, i'm most interested in the Exotic Cycles Aluminum fork.

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=0&c=43&p=201&.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by AKim; 09-02-2008 at 12:31 PM.

mtbr member
    You can rebuild the cartridge for the same price if not cheaper than the Exotic fork. The fatty will still be a better fork.
    '96 Uber Light
    '00 R3000 TT
    '08 Six13

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

How light can it get...

True, a rebuild would be more affordable and sensible too, but i'm really curious how the bike will ride with a lightweight rigid fork and i'm also curious what my times will be like on the race course.

Also, i'm not sure how badly the fork is damaged. The fork blew at hr. 1 of a 3 hr. race so for two hours the fork was banging around with zero compression and rebound. The rebound and lockout knob were suspect to begin with.

mtbr member
    I've seen Cannondale sponsored local racers on rigid leftys, like the one on the bad boy, just beefed up for mountain and a different color. Its a bad ass rigid fork, from what I've heard...theres almost no flex in them (just like a normal lefty).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Rigid Lefty

Wow, a rigid lefty....I hadn't thought of that one but I bet it would look really sharp. Unfortunately, if I go with the lefty, i'd need to get a new race wheel built around a lefty hub so there goes the budget. Maybe version 2.1.

mtbr member
    The fork you're looking at will only save you about half a pound over your fatty, but if it's experimentation I say go for it. I'm putting the same fork(42.5cm for 80mm geometry) on my wifes KV3000 because she wants a more rigid feel for the road plus it will lower the bike a bit for standover and drop 3lbs off the bike bring it to around 22lbs or so. I should have the fork by early next week so I'll let you know what I think.
    '96 Uber Light
    '00 R3000 TT
    '08 Six13

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKim
    Wow, a rigid lefty....I hadn't thought of that one but I bet it would look really sharp. Unfortunately, if I go with the lefty, i'd need to get a new race wheel built around a lefty hub so there goes the budget. Maybe version 2.1.
    The lefty hub is only a $50 option on a Stans wheel, a light olypmic wheel would'nt be too expensive.

Unfortunately, I dont think its a coincidence that only C'dale sponsored riders are on them...

Music & Bikes
    I put a Fatty-R on my Kona Unit.

Very light and rigid fork !

And you'll stay in the family

Like this one ; http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/cusa/model-8BRD.html
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Eff U Gee Em
    Jan 2004
    I've got a new Fatty R and a new reducing headset for sale in the classifieds:

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...uct=24404&cat=

Members who have read this thread: 0