Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008

Riding no hands with a Cannondale Lefty Fork

Is it true that it is alot more difficult to ride no hands on a bike with a Cannondale Lefty fork? I've heard this rumor before that the bike pulls to one side, but wanted to see from people who have ridden these bikes. For those that don't know. The Lefty Fork is Cannondale's one-legged fork.

I bike long tyme.
    I never noticed a difference.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

mtbr member
    I would assume it has more to do with your balance.

brandisher of chainsaws
    Quote Originally Posted by bee View Post
    Cannondale Lefty fork
    gross

habitual line-stepper
    only if you're 1x9 or 1x10, then you'd be riding in clockwise circles.

good AM topic, try the c-dale forum too
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

GAME ON!
    it is absolutely true. the design engineers never even considered the possibility of that. even with your hands on the bars, the bike veers to one side. dirtbikes do this as well because of their one-sided rear end.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    What way does a unicycle pull?

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    it is absolutely true. the design engineers never even considered the possibility of that. even with your hands on the bars, the bike veers to one side. dirtbikes do this as well because of their one-sided rear end.

hmm. I knew there was something to this. It's strange though. I have heard of this strange phenomenon on these Lefty forks. Though, some people don't seem to be affected by this. I wonder if it is due to the different bike front end stiffness of different Cannondale bikes, or simply due to rider expertise that makes it harder for some people to not notice a difference.

PS- I am all for moving this thread to the Cannondale forum. If a forum moderator sees this and is able to move it that would be great.

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    What way does a unicycle pull?
    the force that acts upon a unicycle is more push than pull.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    These comments are rubbish. The bike does not veer to one side. I can take my hands off at different speeds and the bike tracks straight ahead. I ride a Carbon Flash 29er.

mtbr member
    The Lefty does not pull to one side while riding with no hands on the bars. There should be a sticky about this since it comes up too often. Some of these other responses are ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If you're riding no hands on a lefty then you're riding the wrong trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bee View Post
    hmm. I knew there was something to this. It's strange though. I have heard of this strange phenomenon on these Lefty forks. Though, some people don't seem to be affected by this. I wonder if it is due to the different bike front end stiffness of different Cannondale bikes, or simply due to rider expertise that makes it harder for some people to not notice a difference.

PS- I am all for moving this thread to the Cannondale forum. If a forum moderator sees this and is able to move it that would be great.
    Wow, either I'm missing the sarcasm or you're more than gullible.

The Lefty tracks straight and true just like any other fork. Riding no hands is a non-issue, though as mentioned, if you're doing very much no hands riding, you've really no need for a Lefty.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

GAME ON!
    RIP Adam Yauch

LA CHÈVRE
    Riding no handed with a Lefty? Sorry, it can only be done if you dance: Marco Fontana dance training...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kuan View Post

Well, when I win the race I am going to put my arms up and hand high in the air. Nothing wrong about that trail I would be on on that day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Mine always goes right. Why?

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by kuan View Post

Good point!

"Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    A lefty doesn't pull one way or another, if it is "pulling" it's likely to be a rider error or cable routing.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just go test one and you'll soon discover the truth, which is that it does not pull but rides straight.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostN7 View Post
    A lefty doesn't pull one way or another, if it is "pulling" it's likely to be a rider error or cable routing.
    DING! DING! DING! We have a winner here!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Before I put a Lefty on my bike, it always pulled to the right because the drivetrain is on the right. But with the new Lefty pulling left, the forces counteract each other and the bike pulls mostly forward, especially when riding down hills or with the wind. But on climbs, it pulls back, so I'm trying to figure out what to do. Maybe one of those rear shocks might "kick" the bike forward a bit? Or maybe if I put a bigger tire on the rear wheel? But that might make the descents too slow, so maybe I should get some lighter aero spokes for the Front wheel--but I'm worried that the wind resistance might not be equal, and then it would pull to the right again. I wonder if I angle the spokes a little, if maybe they would push the wind to the side, and the bike would self-right if it tipped over with the wheel spinning. But what if I tipped over the to right?

mtbr member
    May 2012

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    Before I put a Lefty on my bike, it always pulled to the right because the drivetrain is on the right. But with the new Lefty pulling left, the forces counteract each other and the bike pulls mostly forward, especially when riding down hills or with the wind. But on climbs, it pulls back, so I'm trying to figure out what to do. Maybe one of those rear shocks might "kick" the bike forward a bit? Or maybe if I put a bigger tire on the rear wheel? But that might make the descents too slow, so maybe I should get some lighter aero spokes for the Front wheel--but I'm worried that the wind resistance might not be equal, and then it would pull to the right again. I wonder if I angle the spokes a little, if maybe they would push the wind to the side, and the bike would self-right if it tipped over with the wheel spinning. But what if I tipped over the to right?
    Sarcasm might be the lowest form of wit, but this surely deserves a prize?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    My head hurts...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    good thing i looked at all the responces, "balencing off the drivetrain forces on the right" was what i was gonna write about. ha ha

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast