Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Have you changed cables?

I find that Gore Ride-Ons cause me problems because they're so stiff. Because the front end is so light it doesn't take much to push-pull the Lefty around.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

Helmetless Crasher
    I find that my Lefty causes my bike to "corkscrew" whenever I jump it. Luckily, the Lefty's rigidity allows it to handle the awkward landings with aplomb . . .
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostN7 View Post
    Have you changed cables?

I find that Gore Ride-Ons cause me problems because they're so stiff. Because the front end is so light it doesn't take much to push-pull the Lefty around.
    Yep , cables have been changed.
    More the fact that all cables now passes to left side of the frame so they all "push" the Lefty to the right.
    I'll experiement with cable lenght , I'll try to shorten them a bit.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It's funny. I rode with a CFR team member, and mentioned this thread. He proceeded to ride the first 3 miles of our single track with no hands...with a Lefty. I wish I could have taken video of it, but, I was laughing so hard (and quite amazed to be honest!).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof View Post
    Yep , cables have been changed.
    More the fact that all cables now passes to left side of the frame so they all "push" the Lefty to the right.
    I'll experiement with cable lenght , I'll try to shorten them a bit.
    That's exactly why! You should be routing all do the cables through the left side of the frame?

I'll tell you what, I'll take a photo of my cabling tonight for you. It might not be the right way to do it but it works for me.

Too long and you will get resistance when steering, too short and you can't steer at all. It's a fine line, and it's different for everyone (Different setups etc). My front mech cable is slightly too long at the moment, and I get a little bit of resistance from it. I'm hoping that when the cable "beds in" it'll be fine!

mtbr member
    Okay, I've cropped this photo down a bit, it's not prefect but it should give you enough to work with.

Firstly, please bare in mind that my cables are cross rooted on the down tube. That's how I've always done it, and how CSG usually do it. Also, sorry if my terminology is a bit off. I'm not a bike mechanic, just trying to help based from my own experience.

The rear mech cable goes across the head tube and through the gap on the left between the frame and the lefty. When idle the cable should not touch the Lefty at all, only when turning right (sharply) should you get any sort of contact, and it should be minimal. You can use the rear brake cable as a guide and kind of sit the rear mech cable on top (depending on the rooting on the down tube.

The front mech cable again goes across the head tube and over the top of the rear mech cable. I cut mine a little bit too long, which as I said above causes a little bit of resistance, but better to have too much than too little...

Hope this helps. As I said, this might not be THE way to do it. But it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 58teeth View Post
    It's funny. I rode with a CFR team member, and mentioned this thread. He proceeded to ride the first 3 miles of our single track with no hands...with a Lefty. I wish I could have taken video of it, but, I was laughing so hard (and quite amazed to be honest!).
    That's amazing haha, who was it? I was doing that last weekend, I got hit by a cross wind and almost crashed. That will teach me for being smug.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by bee View Post
    Is it true that it is alot more difficult to ride no hands on a bike with a Cannondale Lefty fork? I've heard this rumor before that the bike pulls to one side, but wanted to see from people who have ridden these bikes. For those that don't know. The Lefty Fork is Cannondale's one-legged fork.

I know it doesn't pull to the left riding no hands cause I do it all the time. But it definitely pulls left when doing mono's always always. For what it's worth I pull right when watching the Internet.

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostN7 View Post

Firstly, please bare in mind that my cables are cross rooted on the down tube. That's how I've always done it, and how CSG usually do it. Also, sorry if my terminology is a bit off. I'm not a bike mechanic, just trying to help based from my own experience.

The rear mech cable goes across the head tube and through the gap on the left between the frame and the lefty. When idle the cable should not touch the Lefty at all, only when turning right (sharply) should you get any sort of contact, and it should be minimal. You can use the rear brake cable as a guide and kind of sit the rear mech cable on top (depending on the rooting on the down tube.

The front mech cable again goes across the head tube and over the top of the rear mech cable. I cut mine a little bit too long, which as I said above causes a little bit of resistance, but better to have too much than too little...

Hope this helps. As I said, this might not be THE way to do it. But it works for me.
    My setup is with a Rohloff , so both shifter cables passes alongside the downtube together (photo) so is the rear brake cable and , of course , the front.

I have to experiement different length.
    Thanx anyways !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding no hands with a Cannondale Lefty Fork-dscn1380.jpg  

"There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

ballbuster

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by amy_marc View Post
    Mine always goes right. Why?
    .. it ain't the fork.

... in all seriousness....

You probably have a wheel that isn't dished properly, or not fully seated in the dropouts, or maybe your frame is not perfectly straight. Yeah, it even happens sometimes with brand new frames.

I sometimes get speed wobbles if I ride no-handed above 25 mph, but that's pretty much the only odd Lefty related behavior.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 12-05-2012 at 04:22 PM.

mtbr member
    My lefty tends to cause my front wheel to feel unbalanced. Does anyone know the toe/camber/caster factory specs to resolve this? Also, can anyone explain why my tire loses some air over a months time with a lefty?

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by poorboy006 View Post
    My lefty tends to cause my front wheel to feel unbalanced. Does anyone know the toe/camber/caster factory specs to resolve this? Also, can anyone explain why my tire loses some air over a months time with a lefty?
    I run -2 camber with a smidge of toe-in for great cornering with tremendous stability. No-hands riding is rock solid in a straight line, and extreme no-hands lean angles are tolerated for hairpin turns with my hands firmly clasped behind my head.

Did not know caster was adjustable on the Lefty?????

Use anti-sieze on the axle nut to prevent the loss of air.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    It seems that my lefty likes to pull left no handed but when I ride home with a gallon of 1% in my right hand, stretched out I can ride straight. Just the other day I had to run to the store for 1/2 and 1/2 and didn't want to drive so i took my rush. TERRIBLE! Kept crossing the dotted line! I replaced my cables but the 1/2 and 1/2 still causes my lefty to pull left...? Should I just stick with whole grain wheat? I'm seriously thinking of switching back to my tried and true RS Judy.

mtbr member
    I'm new to the Lefty, I've owned mine for only 2 months. I started reading this thread BEFORE I got my Lefty, but I'm positive it steers to the left going no-hands. I feel I have to compensate with body weight on the right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I find it more difficult to balance. I've gone miles no handed but it's not as easy as some other forks.

mtbr member
    29er Flash no problems with no hands
    Hi-mod Flash also no problems with no hands

Amy hope you got your problem sorted, check your cable routing & dishing on this latter point here is a helpful video: How to Dish a Bicycle Wheel | TheBikeTube.com - YouTube

mtbr member
    29er Flash no problems with no hands
    Hi-mod Flash also no problems with no hands

Amy hope you got your problem sorted, check your cable routing & dishing on this latter point here is a helpful video: How to Dish a Bicycle Wheel | TheBikeTube.com - YouTube

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3