mtbr member

Ride Feel? "Standard Modulus" Carbon Flash vs. "Hi-Mod"

If you've ridden both, did you notice a difference in ride quality?

Thanks.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    No at Flash, but I have a Hi-Mod Slice, and rode a Std model. The Hi-Mod is stiffer pedaling (meaning more power to the ground), and has slightly more road feel.....but is lighter. It was a subtle difference to me in ride, but a big difference on weight.

I tell people who ask, if money is an issue go std mod and spend your $$ on nice/light wheels, etc. If $$ is not an issue, or you know you WILL build it up with lots of nice parts (many of us say we will, but don't get to it, hence the WILL) then go Hi-Mod to have the best possible platform to build upon. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Thanks.

I currently have a Flash 29er 2 from last year. I've had a Flash Hi-Mod on order since June. Race season is getting close, so I'm considering cancelling my order and buying a light kit for the 29er 2 to put on for this race season. I don't want to have to worry about what bike I'm going to ride once the season starts.

One factor that plays into this is whether or not the Hi-Mod frame is stiffer, which I would like, as the standard frame is a little softer ride than I prefer. It's by no means inefficient though. I can build up last years bike lighter for the same amount of money though.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos
    as the standard frame is a little softer ride than I prefer. It's by no means inefficient though. I can build up last years bike lighter for the same amount of money though.
    Maybe I am older than you....but I would say build up the one you have. A more supple ride in a hardtail would just make you that much less beat up in a longer race, and give you that much more energy to put into the pedals, to picking your line vs being tired/beat up and making a mistake.

On the SuperSix's Cannondale use to brag that they Hi-Mod and regular have the same suppleness in ride, but the Hi-Mod pedals better (stiffer frame in terms of power transfer) and is lighter. If memory serves, it is like 100-150g lighter. You probably breath that out in moisture during a race.