Moven on
    Sep 2007

Ridding it in DH position

I mostly ride XC and rough roads with my Prophet. I got this bike in a very good trade, it's more bike then my abilities but maybe someday. I have been riding it in the XC position for about two months now, and decided to try it in DH position today. I rely liked the fill of being further back on the bike. It felt easier to lift the front tire up for obstacles, and it seemed to carve better in the corners.

Will riding it in DH all the time cause any wear problums

I was thinking about a shorter stem and more set back in the seat post, but changing the geometry cost me nothing and fixed most of my issues. I hope its OK.
    You got to ride um hard & put um away wet!!!

LA CHÈVRE
    It has a XC setting and a FR setting, if you mean FR, no problems, many leave it that way all the time... if you really mean DH setting, did you drilled a third set of holes?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    the FR setting effect climbing at all?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104
    the FR setting effect climbing at all?
    A little bit. The front end wants to pop up a little easier up steep stuff than in the xc setting. I haven't noticed any difference in pedalling efficiency though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Riding it in the FR setting should not hurt anything! But I believe it lowers the bottom bracket height about one inch- which could mean crank/pedal collisions with obstacles a little easier. I just got a prophet frame and am currently building the bike, so I have been researching them a little bit- but at this time I am just spreading 2nd hand info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    did you drilled a third set of holes?
    Hell, I hadn't thought of that! A bit of grinding and welding might be required and the XC position may have to disapear all together but I'll give it a go when I get home tonight.

It may be easier to change the stickers so they read DH & FR. You could then tell the ignorant that it was a one off developmental model.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I had to switch mine back to XC from FR because of the lower clearance on the pedals/BB. I bashed my pedals a couple times coming around a corner while pedaling. It kicked my back end out enough to go off the trail which happened to be a steep creek bed. Luckily a well placed tree helped get me back on the trail. Just be aware you have less clearance than you are used to in FR.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I find it works better in the FR position.....but thats just me i am more into freeriding and i love to do drops hucks and ride skiinnys..never been really good at climbing even in the xc position but my friend climbs on the FR position like a pro...so its all about ur skill not the bike...( it does help though)...as for cornering hold ur speed on the corner and pedal after.. or use caution..

mtbr member
    I always have mine in FR setting; for climbs and "light" DH. A shorter stem and riser bars will help you get the full effect. Drop the seat and go! Just be wary of your components and what the bike can/can't handle.

Moven on
    Sep 2007
    Thanks so much for all the feed back. I mistook FR for DH. DOOH Free ride seems so out of place. Nothing about Mt Biking is free, but maybe the exercise. I will be leaving it in the FR position until I start bashing my peddles or sprocket.

Thanks again, ( boy, have I learned a lot on this web site). Thanks MTBR
    You got to ride um hard & put um away wet!!!